Project Review: Multimedia Semantics Incubator Group

14 Jun 2007

See also: IRC log


Raphael Troncy (CWI), Michael Cooper, Steve Bratt, Mauro Nunez, Jose Manuel Alonso, Ralph Swick, Gerald Oskoboiny, Dan Connolly, Yves Lafon, Susan Lesch, Ted Guild, Klaus Birkenbihl, Ivan Herman, Kazuyuki Ashimura, Judy Brewer, Ian Jacobs, Carine Bournez, Liam Quin, Richard Ishida, Marie-Claire Forgue, Eric Prud'hommeaux
Dominique Hazaël-Massieux
Ivan Herman
Raphael Troncy, CWI
Mauro Nunez



<ivan> Slides for presentation

[ Ivan introduces Raphael ]

<RalphS> Multimedia Semantics Incubator Group

<RalphS> Cover Slide

<DanC> (which face is Raphael's?)

<RalphS> Raphael: I am in the center with my hand on my belt

<RalphS> [slide 2 - MMSem Pointers]

<RalphS> kudos for using the public mailing list for most of the discussion!

<RalphS> [slide 3 - MMSem Goals]

<RalphS> [slide 4 - MMSem Activities]

<RalphS> [slide 5 - MMSem Deliverables]

<RalphS> Multimedia Semantics Incubator Group Patent Policy Status

<RalphS> [slide 6 - Image Annotation on the Semantic Web]

<RalphS> [slide 7 - Image Annotation on the Semantic Web]

<RalphS> [slide 8 - Multimedia Annotation Interoperability Framework]

<RalphS> [slide 9 - Multimedia Annotation Interoperability Framework]

<RalphS> [slide 10 - Managing Personal Photos]

<RalphS> [slide 11 - Facetting Music Songs]

[slide 12 - Bringing NewsML in the Semantic Web]

[slide 13 - Managing your Web 2.0 Personomy]

[slide 14 - MPEG-7 and the Semantic Web]

<IanJ> "It's an ISO standard, making it difficult to use."

[slide 15 - Multimedia Vocabularies on the Semantic Web]

[slide 16 - Multimedia Semantics: Relevant Tools and Resources]

[slide 17 - Liaison]

[slide 18 - MMSem Success]

[slide 19 - MMSem Future]

<RalphS> Raphael: we hope to submit a new XG charter to W3C in mid-July

<RalphS> ... and would like to resume work in September

--- Q&A session---

Raphael: at the XG we used some XML-based schema
... and the question is if W3C should publish new ontologies based on these schemas
... and what we should do with that?

Ralph: thanks Raphael for an informative session
... have the XG considered publishing the ontologies in XG work space?

Raphael: yes, we have

<DanC> URIs for W3C Namespaces

Raphael: ... but we are not sure

DanC: wich community cares for continuing with this activity?

Ralph: the other interesting question is about maintainance
... and who would do it
... and I also wonder about the output of the XG
... what is the challenge for W3C about this output?

<DanC> DanC: if the community around the ontology is the XG, then the XG is more than welcome to publish the ontology at /YYYY/MM/blah-blah , per http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri

Raphaelif we publish an ontology, should we have just the OWL or a document also?

<ivan> +1

Raphael: the feeling within the group is not to follow a Rec track now (could be a target in another year)
... we would rather try to see if the existing technologies are enough
... we think they are not

<RalphS> Ralph: the consensus of both the SemWeb Best Practices WG and the SemWeb Deployment WG, as documented in the Vocabulary Management Working Draft(s) is that both forms -- the machine-readable OWL and the human-readable HTML are desirable

<Zakim> DanC, you wanted to note that the level of endorsement around a namespace is normally orthogonal to its URI

DanC: notes that the level of endorsement around a namespace is normally orthogonal to its URI

Ralph: is useful for the XG to point out what things can be re-used
... the XG can publish its work, new ontologies
... but what part of the community interested would like to see the REC stamp on it?

Raphael: we wondered also about that within the group
... about the formality, I am not sure they fully understand the W3C process
... currently we don't need to go to the formality of a WG but we might need it in the future

<Zakim> DanC, you wanted to ask about the "OWL expression of other work" case; remind me of one example? did the XG negotiate rights to do a derivative work? is the original org interested

<IanJ> I note that Raphael just uttered one of the things we are concerned about: no distinction between TR and xG report

<RalphS> Raphael: IPTC pretty much happy with things being published somewhere on w3.org

<RalphS> ... DIG35 not sure what level of formality we might need

DanC:do we have the right for derivative work (related to mpeg-7)?

Raphael: yes, we have rights to do derivative work
... I am not sure if we can publish this ontology, I need to check on that

<RalphS> Raphael: we made an official liaison with ISO and they're commenting on our work

DanC: is either of those organizations interested on publishing the OWL?

<raphael> I3A: I do not know

<RalphS> Raphael: ISO not interested in publishing OWL

International Imaging Industry Association (I3A)

Ivan: who is in discussions with them?

<RalphS> ... not sure if I3A is interested, but they're OK with W3C publishing when an agreement is signed

Raphael: Daniel Dardailler is involved on it

<SusanL> http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison

<RalphS> Raphael: our other question is how to get more industry involvement in follow-on work

<DanC> (which row in http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison ? a text search for "multimedia" fails)

<SusanL> search for Raphael :-)

<DanC> (ah... http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison#I3A )

Ivan: my initial reaction is that you should try to identify those members that would like to be involve, and then they should contact their AC Rep
... I would be happy to do such contacts

<raphael> yes DanC

Raphael: ok

<RalphS> Ian: we've discussed the potential of confusion between different kinds of TRs; in particular RECs and XG reports

Raphael: yes, sometimes

<RalphS> ... is it the case that [some of the liaisons] really don't care about the difference?

<RalphS> Raphael: they don't seem to care

Raphael: to participate in the group was a great experience, time consuming but great

Kaz: thanks for a good presentation, it was a pity I couldn't see the presentation at WWW2007, I attended W3C Track
... the Multimodal Interaction WG, which develops MMI Architecture etc., would like to collaborate

Raphael: that would be great

<kaz> http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/

Ivan: when do you plan to finally publish all the documents?

<SusanL> http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/

<SusanL> (public page is http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/)

Raphael: next week we will send it out

<IanJ> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/XGR/about.html

<SusanL> Yes we will be happy to make the publication news.

Ivan: can you provide us with a paragraph for the publication?
... SusanL will then *polish* it

Raphael: yes, will do

IanJ: is it ok to set expectation for next steps on that publication?

<IanJ> leave open public list

<IanJ> close member list

IanJ: what happen with mailing lists, for example?

<IanJ> close XG at the same time as publication

<IanJ> leave wiki open

<IanJ> also, please draft an email for the ac with expectations about next steps

Raphael: yes, the public mailing list stays open, member mailing list closes, wiki stays open, the reference to the XG dissapears

Ivan: thanks Raphael for your presentation

<RalphS> ACTION: Raphael review the record to be sure we accurately recorded his references to interests of other organizations [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/14-muse-minutes.html#action01]

Ivan: thanks everybody, motion to adjourn


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Raphael review the record to be sure we accurately recorded his references to interests of other organizations [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/14-muse-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.128 (CVS log)
$Date: 2007/06/15 16:05:04 $