See also: IRC log
<antoine> Previous: 2011-07-07 http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html
<antoine> Scribe: Jeff
<antoine> Scribenick: jeff_
RESOLUTION: accept minutes from last call
No telecon next week, but the ones left are important
The blog is up and some comments are coming in
Keeping track of commentary/reviews at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAssignments
Need a new volunteer to track late coming comments.
Daniel is scheduled for the coming week.
<Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to ask if Daniel cannot do it?
<scribe> ACTION: Karen Coyle to keep track of comments on the mailing list between July 8 and July 15 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action04] [DONE]
<scribe> ACTION: Jeff to keep track of comments on the mailing list between July 15 and July 22 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action05] [DONE]
<scribe> ACTION: Editors of each section should watch for substantial comments to their section [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/06/30-lld-minutes.html#action06] [CONTINUES]
<scribe> ACTION: chairs to send email to list asking for volunteers to write the executive summary [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action08] [DONE]
<GordonD> I will volunteer to help Karen
<GordonD> +1 for the three of us on a telecon ...
<GordonD> +1 makes four
<scribe> ACTION: Karen, Tom, Michael, and Gordon to write the executive summary due in two weeks. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action05]
karen: I imagine 1 to 1 1/2 page for the executive summary would be sufficient.
Tom: Agreed, with more or less as we feel it is needed.
<scribe> ACTION: Karen and Emma to write a sentence adding cultural and memory institutions together in some way [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action03] [CONTINUES]
Any issues to report?
Antoine: started to address 1st set of comments and confident the issues can be integrated.
<GordonD> Action on Gordon is now done
<scribe> ACTION: Gordon to review Relevant Technologies [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html#action04] [DONE]
<Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to ask about PIDs as raised by Juha
<antoine> Alexander: need to ack that a URN is a URI
Tom: Juha commented on reference to Cool URIs vs. other forms of persistent URIs. Deserves some more subtle wording to accommodate URNs.
<antoine> Jeff: Agreed. I 'll work on it
<antoine> ... Gordon also commented on this.
<Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to point Jeff to http://metadaten-twr.org/2010/10/13/persistent-identifiers-an-overview/
Alex: need to accommodate URNs better.
Tom: we need to acknowledge other
... best practice is still evolving.
... Need to point to larger discussion.
<antoine> Alex: anyone tried URN in SPARQL?
<marcia> There was a circulated reference link yesterday: What Do URIs Mean Anyway? http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/159
<antoine> Jeff: id.loc.gov has owl:sameAs to info:URIs.
<antoine> ... they're not resolvable
<antoine> .. ideally using owl:sameAs you would link URNs to resolvable URIS
<antoine> (Antoine remembers having done something like that with ARK ids)
<tbaker> Juha's comments are at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2011Jun/0012.html
<GordonD> It might be useful to add something about sameAs linking between resolvable and unresolvable IDs in the relevant technologies section? Or is this an Issue requiring a Recommendation?
<antoine> Jeff: In the early days, it wasn't clear if http URIs should be used to identify things that aren't "located" one the Web. That uncertainty was the basis for inventing some new URI schemes like URNs and "info" URIs. These ambiguities and uncertainties were eventually resolved by http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3305 and httpRange-14. Now that the concern is resolved, we could recommend using owl:sameAs to map these non-resolvable URI schemes to http URIs. Even if this mapping isn't done, the non-resolvable URIs are still useful in RDF and SPARQL.
<AlexanderH> +1 gordon
<antoine> Jeff: it's worth mentioning
<antoine> Tom: not elevating to recommendation
<antoine> Jeff And Tom: we agree
<scribe> ACTION: Jeff to integrate more refined view of non-resolvable URIs and linking. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action08]
Jeff will review blog entries for reusable statements.
<antoine> gordon: main issue is mixing different levels
<antoine> Jeff: all feedback helps
<scribe> ACTION: everybody to scrutinize the relevant technologies to solve the issue of mixing different levels [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/21-lld-minutes.html#action09]
<scribe> ACTION: Karen will convene issues and recommendations group to identify things that need to be discussed with larger group for July 21 meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action04] [CONTINUES]
<scribe> ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources and Library Standards and Linked data [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12] [CONTINUES]
Karen: these two sections were
put together as background. They stay in the wiki, but can be
used as a checklist for the report section.
... the blog appears to be broken in a new way.
<pmurray> Oh, that is odd.
Tom: It looks like a temporary issue.
Karen: Comments are coming into
the blog and will be processed.
... The comments so far haven't been radical and can probably be integrated.
Antoine: the comments don't appear to be spam
<scribe> ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html#action13] [DONE]
Antoine: not much to say. Other comments?
<scribe> ACTION: Emma to review use cases and make comments [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/07/07-lld-minutes.html#action07] [CONTINUES]
Any other business?
Antoine: Presentation on Linked
Data at Stanford that has overlap with our group.
... Would be nice if our report related to theirs
... Was anyone on the call involved and able to comment?
... [No response]
<kcoyle> edsu's notes
We should discuss their report later and find ways to relate parts to our document.
<digikim_> Thanks to everybody. I will be taking my Summer vacation in August, so this was unfortunately the final call for me. I will be looking forward on what reactions the report gets when it is finalized and published. :)
Antoine: Thanks for contributing Kim!
Meeting is ajourned.