See also: IRC log
<TomB> Scribe: uldis
propose to accept minutes of last week's telco
<emma> RESOLVED: To accept http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minutes.html
Tom: start with report from Karen
2nd time held a meeting at NALA
included people from LOC
enough signatures to turn it into an official ALA interest group. will be in the program, meet twice a year
kcoyle: did gap analysis. will establish a discussion area, post it online
<digikim> lol, data speeddating :)
kcoyle: came up with the idea for "data speed-dating" events
<emma> +1 for data speed-dating ;-)
kcoyle: there's interest in
... people surprised we received no use cases re traditional library data (re MARC, RDA, ...)
... a lack of the way for to move what we have today into linked data
... wrote 2 reports: on SemWeb (award for best report) and on RDA
<GordonD> I can add a use-case for migrating from legacy records (MARC, etc.) to the BibData cluster
scribe: will we do something re
traditional library data?
... will send a link for a report from the meeting.
antoine: asking about lack of traditional library data use cases. RDA is mentioned in ~3 use cases.
kcoyle: will look into it.
<GordonD> I think we need something specific about legacy data and migrating to lld
kcoyle: i think what people expected was a use case about that
TomB: can we add an action re this?
<GordonD> I've already volunteered
<rsinger> yeah, i'll definitely volunteer
<GordonD> Yes, please action this to me
<scribe> ACTION: Gordon and Ross to review use cases in light of migration of legacy data [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action01]
<GordonD> Tom - you missed out the Collections cluster
<scribe> ACTION: TomB to link cluster pages to http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/FinalReportOutline -- done [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action02][DONE]
<marcia> a UC by uldis
TomB: vocabulary alignment
... onging action by Antoine and Michael
... main topic for this week
<TomB> ACTION: Antoine and Michael to curate vocabulary alignment cluster for end of December [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action07] [CONTINUES]
antoine: vocabulary alignment
cluster joined by Marcia who contributed
... cluster motivation: many institutions have specific vocabs to describe their collections
... different metadata schemas
... various thesauri, classification systems
... causes problems for managing that data. objective: to solve the problem of access to collections by end-users.
... use cases where users want to access multiple collections, via unified access points.
... examples: Europeana, other integrated search services
... need to relate these vocabularies
... applies both to search and exploring collections
... also has metadata management scenarios. for creating new vocabularies or matching existing vocabs.
... one specific cases concerned with that
... match between these motivations and the linked data
<Zakim> TomB, you wanted to ask whether "alignment" should include also element sets and datasets
TomB: cluster is defined about
vocabulary alignment, but noted in text it is also true for
metadata elem set alignment
... is alignment of data sets also covered here (or somewhere else?)
<marcia> Tom: do you mean to change to 'alignment' regardless of if it is on the vocabulary level or value level?
antoine: both alignment of vocabs
and element sets.
... don't have use cases that talk about data sets
<rsinger> Sorry, everybody, need to bow out for another meeting.
antoine: received a number of case studies in this cluster
<GordonD> The BibData has a de-duplication use-case, but it is at record level, not lld
antoine: identified other cases relevant to the cluster
antoine: collected in this link all the cases from cluster which are relevant. some could be about data sets.
<Zakim> emma, you wanted to talk about similarities with Archives
emma: in archives cluster one of
main topics of interest: archives want to relate their objects
with one another
... aligning value vocabularies. similar to this cluster.
<Zakim> TomB, you wanted to suggest analytical approach to "relevant technologies"
michaelp: looking at relevant
technologies for merging vocabularies. need analytic view to
... have links to various services, frameworks.
... ... by technical approaches - how they are making and publishing mappings
<Zakim> michaelp, you wanted to mention problems with defining data set alignment
michaelp: should be careful with
what we define as aligning data sets and vocabularies
... there's big overlap. very real issue.
... but in vocab alignment you establish more semantic relationships. there similarity with data sets ends.
TomB: also an issue with
provenance information (in the notes)
... Marcia, Antoine: what further input is needed on this call or on the list
... how close are to having the action done and having a draft?
<marcia> We have two cases seemed to belong to other clusters
antoine: would like to have input
re selection of cases
... problem: have 2 cases where did not see a link with vocab alignment
... subject search
... component vocabularies
... if could have input from people who created them
... worked on stabilizing scenarios
... concept-based search; mediation between vocabs; vocab emerging
... also relation to an interesting use case for natural language processing
scribe: trying to organize and validate the problems section
<marcia> maybe we can also summarize the types of alignment 'parties'.
TomB: please post a message to curators of use cases (re cases where don't see a link)
<marcia> +Antoine. Great report.
CLUSTER Archives and heterogeneous data
<scribe> ACTION: Kcoyle to see if Archives cluster reveals problems or limitations -- things missing from the available technology that would make LLD implementable [DONE] [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/01/13-lld-minutes.html#action04]
kcoyle: action completed, sent to the list
kcoyle: other cluster has those.
suggest that all clusters see what gaps, problems are there and
send to Karen
... Karen can put them together
<marcia> Karen: Antoine organized those gaps according to your category/outline. http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_VocAlign
TomB: so that we have something comparable between clusters.
TomB: should assume actions carried forward?
CLUSTER Bibliographic data
scribe: put on the agenda for next week
<scribe> ACTION: Gordon and Martin to curate bibliographic data cluster for end of December [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action05][CONTINUES]
CLUSTER Authority data: curators Jeff, Alex
scribe: re document in google docs. a time estimate?
who was speaking?
jeff_: at least couple of weeks off
CLUSTER Citations: curators Ed, Kai, Peter
<pmurray> No update
<pmurray> I think we are done at the moment.
TomB: what is status on this cluster?
<pmurray> Unless there are outstanding questions, we're done.
TomB: work is done
<emma> add a problems & limitation section ?
CLUSTER Digital objects: curators Mark, Jodi, Asaf
TomB: estimate was next week.
... candidate for discussion the week after next
jodi: that's fine
<antoine> Tom we lost you!
<antoine> Can you reconnect?
antoine: was action to incorporate a use case re map archive
<scribe> ACTION: Curators of Archives and Digital Objects clusters to incorporate Use Case NLL Digitized Map Archive http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_NLL_Digitized_Map_Archive [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minutes.html#action12] [DONE]
<kcoyle> but you are him
TomB is back
jodi: action done, incorporated into the digital obj cluster
<scribe> NEW CLUSTER Social uses (Uldis, Jodi)
jodi: put together a call for use cases
<antoine> Uldis: we have written a draft
<antoine> ... we'll send it to the group to see if there are suggestions from the group
<GordonD> Collections cluster should be finished by the end of January
<scribe> NEW CLUSTER Collections (Gordon)
TomB: pointed to outlines. is there a wiki page?
GordonD: there is start of wiki page
<Zakim> antoine, you wanted to ask about volunteers on this cluster?
GordonD: can link to it.
<kcoyle> i will
GordonD: looking for volunteed for the cluster
<TomB> karen++ !
kcoyle: will join the cluster
<scribe> ACTION: GordonD to curate collection cluster [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/06-lld-minutes.html#action11][CONTINUES]
INDIVIDUAL USE CASES
TomB: an action for each use case curator
<scribe> ACTION: For each use case curator: on the Vocabularies page (http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies) link to each URL use case that uses it [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action01] does it need to be continued?
<emma> I just added the Collections Cluster page to the final report outline
UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: do we need to
link each use case that uses particular vocab to the vocab
... or can the action be dropped.
<kcoyle> i'm not clear what the purpose is... i also think it could be considered done
antoine: action is done
<GordonD> Generally, any new use cases added need to remember to update terminologies/vocabularies/links, etc.
<marcia> + Gordon
<kcoyle> no list will be complete -- this is good enough
TomB: decided to drop the action
<scribe> ACTION: For each use case curator: on the Vocabularies page (http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Vocabularies) link to each URL use case that uses it [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action01] [DONE]
TomB: end of today's agenda. any
... topic next week = bibliographic data
jeff_: has an action that's done
<scribe> ACTION: Jeff to write one or two paragraphs on VIAF design discussions as per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2010Oct/0107.html[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/11/18-lld-minutes.html#action06] [DONE]
TomB: thought that design
discussion also talked re relation b/w authority data and
... this issue needs to be covered (but can be covered in the authority data cluster)
... this was telco #24
... we have 15-20 telcos left
... no concrete plans for F2F. we're in good shape, clusters are looking good.
<scribe> ... finished for the week
<kcoyle> uldis - great job!
kcoyle - cheers! :)
<emma> thanks Uldis :-)
<marcia> uldis , great