HCLSIG Teleconference

8 Dec 2005


See also: IRC log


+1.847.359.aaaa, +1.734.622.aacc, +1.617.679.aadd, Emiller, +1.508.720.aaee, RogerC, +1.617.432.aaff, Brian_Gilman, Tanya_Hongsermeier, Marja, +1.617.492.aagg, EricN, HelenC, SeanM, ChristP, [IBM], +1.508.720.aaii, [Agfa], ChristopherBrewster


<gilmanb> Welcome by Eric Neumann

<gilmanb> First Face to Face meeting people who have written to the mailing list have many different interests and many different backgrounds

<Roger> zakim 44.114.222.aabb is Christopher Brewster

<Roger> zakim who is here?

<gilmanb> We may not be able to address everyones issues directly at first but will try to make sure our objectives and deliverables meet most people's needs

<gilmanb> Our first face to face will be Jan 25/26

Introductions -> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebForLifeSciencesPeople

<em> Thanks Duncan! http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebForLifeSciencesPeople"

<gilmanb> Eric N. stressed need for active participation

<gilmanb> Eric N. wants to know what community thinks are most pressing needs

<gilmanb> wants to use these for face to face meeting

<gilmanb> Q: Need to be part of W3 in order to participate?

<gilmanb> A: Eric M. HCLSIG is a W3C member IG. Any W3C member can join and participate. If you're interested in participating but are not a W3C member, I strongly urged to consider. If you're not a member, can't joing but are still interested / willing to spend the intellectual capital needed to help this work, you can apply for "invited experts" status.

<gilmanb> Mailing list Q: Difference between member and non-member

<gilmanb> member can own pieces of charter and etc. non-member can get e-mails but does not have as much decision making power

<em> Regarding HCLSIG membership clarification -> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-lifesci/2005Dec/0058.html

<gilmanb> Q

<gilmanb> Q: Can I nominate a person to be a contributor to this group?

<gilmanb> A: If the person doesn't put their name on the list we can't track them

<gilmanb> A: We urge that individual to join the list and introduce themselves to us

<gilmanb> Eric M. stresses people on this phone call to ask colleagues to participate in this group

Face to Face meeting -> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/hcls/news#x20051122a

<gilmanb> Q: Issues around face-to-face?

<gilmanb> Q: Can we postpone the f2f by a day or two?

<alanr> http://www.43folders.com/2005/11/29/emailing-a-text-based-meeting-scheduler/

<gilmanb> A: Eric M. and gilmanb will look at schedule to make sure we can accommodate everyone

<gilmanb> Tonya says we have second day as .5 days

<em> ACTION: EricM and BrianG to create a WBS system for the Jan 25/26 F2F meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/08-hcls-minutes.html#action01]

<em> .me would like to suggest this be a 2 day meeting (rather than 1.5)

<gilmanb> about 30 - 40 attendees at f2f

<gilmanb> Areas of interest

<gilmanb> em can we make a topic list and have people vote on it?

<gilmanb> ie. collect topics and put them into an online voting system like sparkle?

<alanr> I need to review charter too.

<gilmanb> core vocab

<em> eneumann, please note there is a queue for folks to talk

<gilmanb> identifiers and scientific publications

<gilmanb> any overlap with semantic web best practices

<gilmanb> charter has changed slightly from feedback of AC group

<gilmanb> got important feedback from advisory committee wanted clear delineation between the groups

<gilmanb> strive to work off of each other and send feedback

<Zakim> em, you wanted to talk about charter

<Marja> where would annotations, bookmarks and topics fit in the scenario?

<gilmanb> 30-40 is a huge meeting really need 2 days - Roger's Comments

<gilmanb> Tonya agrees - still need venue sorted out

<gilmanb> guarantee of 1.5 day for venue for hotel

<gilmanb> need to find a venue for longer if we'd like 2 days

<gilmanb> ie. conference room booking this is a logistics issue not group issue

<gilmanb> Marja - annotations, topic, bookmarks in this group?

<gilmanb> EN - need to get updated on the tools and annotations

<gilmanb> Eric N. how do we integrate all these technologies and define best practice mechanism?

<gilmanb> em - process point - charter is not up for discussion

<gilmanb> em - group's task is not to modify the charter places are under specified where we can explore but not to modify

<gilmanb> Eric N. Q: would people like to allocate time to go over "showcase technologies" during f2f?

<gilmanb> gilmanb: Please Eric Yes!

<em> +1

<Alfredo> Agree

<Roger> Yes.

<gilmanb> I'd like to see people bring their use cases to the meeting and present them

<eneumann> em -- thanks!

<gilmanb> then I'd like to get a tutorial on Semantic Web Tech in general

<Roger> It would be nice to have some indication of business value -- in dollars if possible.

<gilmanb> Finally, I'd like to see how the tech addresses the use cases

<Marja> I'm happy to do a demonstration if people want to see it

<gilmanb> Roger, ROI follows "typical" ROI curves for new tech

<gilmanb> I'll send to you after the meeting

<gilmanb> Tonya - will try and get right venue for 2 day conference

<gilmanb> Eric N. every other Week have teleconference (suggestion)

<gilmanb> Eric N. every day of the week instead?

<Roger> No, no -- every week, not every day!!

<gilmanb> Q for em - can people suggest times for regular meeting times?

<gilmanb> lol - woops - every week vs. every other week

<gilmanb> em - There is a mechanism - we'll do this for everyone

<gilmanb> Comment that it's easier to do every week than every other week

<gilmanb> you can remember that easier

<gilmanb> ACTION: poll most feasible time for meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/08-hcls-minutes.html#action02]

Teleconference schedule

<gilmanb> Next Thurs and following Thurs as temp meeting schedule

<gilmanb> How do we have a vote on issues?

<Roger> Suggest you find out how many people really will attend 12/22. I know I can'

<Roger> t

<gilmanb> em - responds - Need to clarify it is unclear right now

<gilmanb> right em?

<gilmanb> I got confused

<em> yep

<gilmanb> Dec 15 11:00 am EST

<gilmanb> next meeting

Communication / collaboration

<gilmanb> Dec 22 11:00 am EST meeting after that

<gilmanb> 22nd I won't be able to attend

<gilmanb> Thanks everyone!

<gilmanb> Call ends

<em> meeting adjourned

<gilmanb> em - that's awesome

<em> Scribe: BrianG

<em> Title:HCLSIG Telecon

<em> action2=EricM and BrianG to create a WBS to poll for most feasible teleconference times

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: EricM and BrianG to create a WBS system for the Jan 25/26 F2F meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/08-hcls-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: poll most feasible time for meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/08-hcls-minutes.html#action02]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/12/13 15:09:05 $