Web Services Addressing WG call
21 oct 2004


See also: IRC log


Hugo, Mark_Nottingham, Michael.Eder, Mark.Peel, Jonathan_Marsh, Rebecca.Bergersen, Harris, Bob.Freund, Steve.Winkler, Paco, [Systinet], Ales.Novy, Dave.Orchard, Marc.Hadley, Yin-Leng, Glen, Philippe, Marc Goodner
JeffM, Anish
Rich Salz, Paul
Mark Nottingham


<scribe> Scribe: hugo

Agenda review, AOB

Nothing technical today

Working Group process and administrivia

Mark: the charter is at http://www.w3.org/2004/09/wsa-charter.html
... it's based on the W3C process, which is consensus-based
... it's also under the W3C patent policy
... we have 2 mailing lists: a member one for administrative matters, and the public list is for technical matters
... in case we communicate with groups that don't work in public, we may use the member-confidential list
... if you have issues accessing parts of the Web site, contact Hugo
... minutes should be taken on IRC

<mnot> http://www.w3.org/1998/12/bridge/info/name.php3

Mark: it helps to take action items, keep track of the queue, etc.

<mnot> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36696/telcontime/

Mark: for telcon times, it's going to be tough to pick a time
... it should be linked from the WG page

<scribe> ACTION: Hugo to link polls from home page

Jonathan: are you going to send the agenda to the member list or the public list?

Mark: any preference?

<anish> i prefer that the agenda goes to public

Jeff: we use the public list in WSD
... except for regrets and call-in numbers

Mark: ok, let's try that then
... please note that if you can't make it to the meeting, please send regrets to the administrative list
... I'd like to make a decision on telcon times next week
... please answer ASAP
... we will need to take minutes
... I'll make a call for volunteers, otherwise we'll do a round-robin among WG members
... IRC is not required, but preferred

<Marsh> http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc

Jonathan: IRC gets very useful as soon as lots of people join

Mark: we'll have F2Fs every 1.5 months to start with
... we should have one in December, and one in Jan
... I have set up a poll
... we should have one in Europe, one on the West Coast, then at the Tech Plen

Jonathan: the WSDWG is interested in colocating
... there is a big overlap
... we have been looking at January
... we can work on this on the CG call

Marc: I am wondering if we are going to have critical mass with such a frequency

MarkN: the charter is pretty clear about this
... actually, this is related to good standing

<dorchard> is it really miss 1 in 3?

MarkN: not attending too many meetings in a row may place you in bad standing

<plh> http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/groups.html#good-standing

MarkN: if we have too many people not in good standing, we will see how it impacts the req for quorum

Jeff: what rules will you be using for good standing?

<dorchard> yeah, it's miss more than 1 in 3 meetings.

MarkN: [ quotes the process / URL above ]
... this has to be applied evenly in the WG
... this will be applied pretty strictly

Jeff: I note that there will be telcons during holidays

Mark: we'll have to figure things out for holidays

DaveO: both reps count for resetting the standing counter

Jeff: how do you get it back if you lose it?

Mark: you basically participate regularly
... with regards to the issues process:
... I would like to callect issues starting next week at the F2F
... I would like to see for each issue a description of the issue, and a fairly fleshed out resolution proposal
... also, which specifications it applies to should be specified
... re decision making: it's a consensus-based process
... if we can't establish consensus, we'll use a formal vote with simple majority
... issues won't be reopen without new evidence

Work items and schedule

Mark: Basis of work: WS-Addressing
... deliverables:
... Web Services Addressing specification
... Web Services Addressing SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2 Binding specification
... Web Services Addressing WSDL 1.1 and WSDL 2.0 Binding specification
... Test suite, with 4 interoperable implementations
... we have a fair amount of work ahead of us
... re editors: if you are interested in becoming an editor, please contact Hugo and I
... since we have a tight schedule, I'm going to be inclined to choose somebody with W3C editing experince, but it's not a req
... for use cases, we will use this as a motivation to make decisions

Anish: is SOAP 1.1 and WSDL 1.1 being normatively referenced from a Rec an exception?

Mark: no; note that there will be time next week to discussed issues derived from the charter

NYC Face-to-Face

Mark: I'd like us to walk out with a good understanding of the issues we face
... also, we need to get to know each other

Jonathan: I'm interested in knowing what our implementation story is
... who has implementations? who has test suites to help us for CR stage?

Mark: I'll get a revised agenda out today
... note that there is a reading list
... please register before tonight midnight: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36696/addr200410/

<harris> dinner Monday sounds good

Mark: it is traditional to have a group dinner
... maybe on Monday

Paco: I'll look for places to go to

<Rebecca> bye

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Hugo to link polls from home page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2004/10/21-ws-addr-irc#T17-12-43]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl 1.92 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/01/31 11:00:52 $