ISSUE-36: Web site metadata improving on robots.txt, w3c/p3p and favicon etc.

siteData-36

Web site metadata improving on robots.txt, w3c/p3p and favicon etc.

State:
CLOSED
Product:
Raised by:
Dan Connolly
Opened on:
2003-02-10
Description:
Rank: background

Current deliverables: none

Issue scope:
The architecture of the web is that the space of identifiers on an http web site is owned by the owner of the domain name. The owner, "publisher", is free to allocate identifiers and define how they are served.

Any variation from this breaks the web. The problem is that there are some conventions for the identifies on websites, that

/robots.txt is a file controlling robot access

/w3c/p3p is where you put a privacy policy

/favico is an icon representative of the web site

and who knows what others. There is of course no list available of the assumptions different groups and manufacturers have used.

More in the original message from TBL .

Community affected: XRI, OpenID, ?

External contacts and dependencies: Mark Nottingham's host-meta RFC draft (input); waiting for next draft?
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Summary and minutes of 8 July 2013 Advisory Board teleconference (from coralie@w3.org on 2013-07-26)
  2. Re: [Fwd: Re: Please review the first draft of the TAG status report] (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-08-12)
  3. Re: [Fwd: Re: Please review the first draft of the TAG status report] (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2010-08-12)
  4. Re: [Fwd: Re: Please review the first draft of the TAG status report] (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-08-11)
  5. Re: [Fwd: Re: Please review the first draft of the TAG status report] (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-08-11)
  6. Draft TAG telcon minutes of 15th July 2010 (from john@jkemp.net on 2010-07-20)
  7. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 15 July 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-07-15)
  8. Re: Close ISSUE-36 (siteData-36)? (from eran@hueniverse.com on 2010-07-08)
  9. Close ISSUE-36 (siteData-36)? (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2010-07-08)
  10. TAG Members: please reviews status of issues you 'shepherd' by Monday, 8 March (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-03)
  11. Re: Host Meta and XRD, POWDER (ISSUE-36 ,siteData-36) (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-12-08)
  12. Re: Agenda and required reading for the 8-10 December 2009 TAG F2F (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-12-07)
  13. RE: Host Meta and XRD, POWDER (ISSUE-36 ,siteData-36) (from eran@hueniverse.com on 2009-12-07)
  14. Host Meta and XRD, POWDER (ISSUE-36 ,siteData-36) (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-12-07)
  15. Re: Agenda and required reading for the 8-10 December 2009 TAG F2F (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-12-03)
  16. Agenda and required reading for the 8-10 December 2009 TAG F2F (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-12-02)
  17. Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from annevk@opera.com on 2009-10-27)
  18. Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from joseph@josephholsten.com on 2009-10-26)
  19. Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2009-10-25)
  20. RE: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from eran@hueniverse.com on 2009-10-23)
  21. Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from annevk@opera.com on 2009-10-23)
  22. Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from joseph@josephholsten.com on 2009-10-23)
  23. Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2009-10-22)
  24. RE: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from eran@hueniverse.com on 2009-10-22)
  25. Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2009-10-22)
  26. RE: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from eran@hueniverse.com on 2009-10-22)
  27. Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2009-10-22)
  28. Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-10-22)
  29. Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-site-meta-03 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-09-26)
  30. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 23 July 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-07-21)
  31. Re: FYI: new draft of site-meta; now well-known [ISSUE-36 siteData-36] (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-07-13)
  32. Approved minutes of the TAG F2F of 3-5 March 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-02)
  33. Setting TAG Priorities - Review of discussion and planning to date (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-22)
  34. Agenda for TAG Face-to-Face Meeting, 3-5 March 2009 (Redwood Shores, CA) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-25)
  35. Stuart Williams comments in TAG ISSUE-57 (httpRedirections-57) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-24)
  36. Approved minutes of TAG Teleconference of 22 January 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-17)
  37. Re: Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 19 February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-17)
  38. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 19 February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-17)
  39. Minutes of 22 January 2009 telcon available (from orchard@pacificspirit.com on 2009-01-29)
  40. Re: Draft Telcon Agenda for 22nd January 2009: siteData-36; selfDescribingWeb-51; WebApps Requirements; errorHandling-20 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-01-20)
  41. Draft Telcon Agenda for 22nd January 2009: siteData-36; selfDescribingWeb-51; WebApps Requirements; errorHandling-20 (from skw@hp.com on 2009-01-20)
  42. Minutes from Jan 15, 2009 Telcon (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2009-01-16)
  43. TAG Teleconference Agenda for 15 January 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-01-14)
  44. Draft TAG Agenda fro 15th Jan. (from skw@hp.com on 2009-01-13)
  45. TAG Minutes for 8 Jan 2009 (from ndw@nwalsh.com on 2009-01-13)
  46. RE: TAG Telcon Agenda for 8th January 2009: siteData-36; Self-Describing Web; Overdue Action Item Review; F2F Records and Scheduling (from skw@hp.com on 2009-01-07)
  47. Re: TAG Telcon Agenda for 8th January 2009: siteData-36; Self-Describing Web; Overdue Action Item Review; F2F Records and Scheduling (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-01-07)
  48. TAG Telcon Agenda for 8th January 2009: siteData-36; Self-Describing Web; Overdue Action Item Review; F2F Records and Scheduling (from skw@hp.com on 2009-01-07)
  49. Initial Draft Agenda fro TAG Telcon: 8th Jan 2009 (from skw@hp.com on 2009-01-06)
  50. RE: a protocol analog to abstract/concrete identifiers (and direct metadata access) (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-09-22)
  51. Re: public suffix list: when opacity meets security [metaDataInURI-31 siteData-36] (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-07-30)
  52. Re: public suffix list: when opacity meets security [metaDataInURI-31 siteData-36] (from john.bradley@wingaa.com on 2008-07-30)
  53. Re: public suffix list: when opacity meets security [metaDataInURI-31 siteData-36] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2008-07-30)
  54. public suffix list: when opacity meets security [metaDataInURI-31 siteData-36] (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-06-19)
  55. Re: [ISSUE-36][ISSUE-25] Automated Content Access Protocol (ACAP) (from mikael@nilsson.name on 2007-12-03)
  56. [ISSUE-36][ISSUE-25] Automated Content Access Protocol (ACAP) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-12-03)
  57. TAG telcon (from on 2007-01-09)
  58. TAG telcon (from on 2007-01-09)
  59. TAG 2 May 2006 (from on 2006-05-02)
  60. TAG 2 May 2006 (from on 2006-05-02)
  61. TAG Weekly (from on 2005-12-13)
  62. Technical Architecture Group (TAG) Weekly Teleconference (from on 2005-02-22)
  63. Minutes of 12 January 2004 TAG teleconference (from on 2004-01-12)
  64. Minutes of 5 January 2004 TAG teleconference (from on 2004-01-05)
  65. Minutes of 6-8 October 2003 TAG face-to-face meeting in Bristol (from on 2003-10-08)
  66. Minutes of 6-8 October 2003 TAG face-to-face meeting in Bristol (from on 2003-10-08)
  67. Minutes of 24 Feb 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-02-24)
  68. Minutes of 24 Feb 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-02-24)
  69. Proposed issue: site metadata hook (from Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> on 2003-02-10)
  70. Minutes of 12 January 2004 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-01-12)

Related notes:

[DanC]: note http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-site-meta-00

22 Jan 2009, 18:36:08

[DanC]: <jrees> Eran's note: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-discovery-00

22 Jan 2009, 18:36:39

Mark Nottingham's RFC draft: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-site-meta-01

Jonathan Rees, 3 Mar 2009, 23:25:09

On 15 July 2010, the TAG voted to close this issue noting that it appears to be addressed by the recently published RFC 5785 by M. Nottingham and E. Hammer-Lahav. RFC 5785 has had thorough review and is welcomed by stakeholders including OpenID.

Jonathan Rees, 21 Jul 2010, 14:15:06

We agreed on 15 July 2010 ( http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/07/15-tagmem-minutes#item03 )to close this issue. Accordingly, I am marking it closed in tracker.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn, 1 Aug 2010, 21:23:15

Display change log ATOM feed


Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Peter Linss <w3c@linss.com>, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>, Chairs, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $