ISSUE-1: Should W3C WGs define their own media types?

w3cMediaType-1

Should W3C WGs define their own media types?

State:
PENDING REVIEW
Product:
Web Application Architecture
Raised by:
Dan Connolly
Opened on:
2002-01-09
Description:
What are the general guidelines or policies (if any) for W3C working groups in defining their own media types? Should they be defining them at all?

relevant finding:

Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use
TAG Finding 30 April 2004
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2004/0430-mime
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Draft Minutes for the June 17 Telcon (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-06-18)
  2. Re: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 17 June 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-06-17)
  3. Re: MIME and the Web (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2010-06-02)
  4. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 27 May 2010 (from noah@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-25)
  5. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 20 May 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-19)
  6. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 13 May 2010 (from noah@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-12)
  7. Minutes of 1 April 2010 checked in (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-04-02)
  8. TAG Members: please reviews status of issues you 'shepherd' by Monday, 8 March (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-03)
  9. minutes TAG weekly 8 Oct for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-10-12)
  10. Re: [State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-08-25)
  11. [State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues] (from raman@google.com on 2009-08-25)
  12. Stuart Williams comments in TAG ISSUE-57 (httpRedirections-57) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-24)
  13. Re: Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 19 February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-17)
  14. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 19 February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-17)
  15. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 12 February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-10)
  16. Approved minutes for TAG telcon of 2009-01-29 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-05)
  17. Re: Draft minutes for TAG telcon of 2009-01-29 (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2009-02-05)
  18. TAG Telcon Agenda for 5th February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-03)
  19. Re: TAG Telcon Agenda for 29th Jan 2009: httpRedirections-57; selfDescribingWeb-51; errorHandling-20; scalabilityOfURIAccess-58; XMLVersioning-41; Issues Pending Review; Overdue Action Items. (from john.kemp@nokia.com on 2009-01-29)
  20. Re: TAG Telcon Agenda for 29th Jan 2009: httpRedirections-57; selfDescribingWeb-51; errorHandling-20; scalabilityOfURIAccess-58; XMLVersioning-41; Issues Pending Review; Overdue Action Items. (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2009-01-27)
  21. TAG Telcon Agenda for 29th Jan 2009: httpRedirections-57; selfDescribingWeb-51; errorHandling-20; scalabilityOfURIAccess-58; XMLVersioning-41; Issues Pending Review; Overdue Action Items. (from skw@hp.com on 2009-01-27)
  22. RE: Priorities (from wayne.carr@intel.com on 2008-11-18)
  23. Re: Priorities (from ij@w3.org on 2008-11-18)
  24. Priorities (from Michael.Champion@microsoft.com on 2008-11-18)
  25. Meeting record for TAG Telcon: 10th Jan 2008 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-01-16)
  26. TAG telcon (from on 2006-07-25)
  27. Minutes of 8 July 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-07-08)
  28. Minutes of 17 June 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-06-17)
  29. Summary of 20 May 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-05-20)
  30. Summary of 2002-04-29 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-04-29)
  31. Summary of 2002-04-22 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-04-22)
  32. [w3cMediaType-1] Should W3C WGs define their own media types? (from Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org> on 2002-01-21)
  33. Media types (from Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> on 2002-01-09)

Related notes:

this issue is addressed to my satisfaction. The TAG
made a few relevant decisions (in particular, to approve
the finding) but none specifically to close this issue.
Status was unclear when we checked on 2006/07/25
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/25-tagmem-minutes#item02a

I'm updating the status to pending review; I suppose we should
announce the decision(s) that we have made and solicit feedback,
esp from Mark Baker and the (heirs of?) the XMLP WG.

Dan Connolly, 1 Dec 2008, 19:49:41

offering to take over shepherding from Tim

Dan Connolly, 4 Mar 2010, 14:02:20

moving to Web apps product per Noah's ftf prep msg
http://www.w3.org/mid/4BF3F881.4050006@arcanedomain.com

Dan Connolly, 19 May 2010, 17:38:34

Display change log ATOM feed


Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Peter Linss <w3c@linss.com>, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>, Chairs, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $