Historical data about the XML Protocol activity
- End of 1999, early 2000: growing interest in the use of XML in
distributed applications communication.
- Proliferation of different
- September 2000: creation of the XML Protocol Working Group to
address the need for an XML-based communication protocol, chartered to
design four components:
- an envelope encapsulating XML data.
- a convention for RPC (Remote Procedure Call) applications.
- a data serialization mechanism.
- a mechanism to use HTTP as a transport mechanism.