Re: Recognizing a WebDAV enabled client

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Michael Wechner schrieb:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> It's not clear to me how a server can recognize a WebDAV enabled
>> client from a GET request and
>
> It can't.
>
>> also how the client can communicate the version of WebDAV which the
>> client has implemented.
>
> Same.
>
> Why would the server care?

because the server might be able to handle different versions of WebDAV.
I think this makes sense
for backward and forward compatibility reasons.

Also the server might want to deliver a different response, e.g. if the
GET request is being issued from a regular Web-Browser,
then the server might respond with a common (X)HTML, but if the GET
request is being issued from Cadaver or OpenOffice then
the server might respond with an ODT file.

>> I have seen in the spec that one can set  the HTTP header parameter
>> DAV: 1,.... but it seems to
>
> No, (in RFC2518) that's a response header. RFC2518bis allows
> extensions to use this as a request header, but so far BIND is the
> only one using it.

ok

>> be that nobody is really doing this, but rather people are using
>> reserved ports or URI prefixes as workarounds for
>> WebDAV GET requests, but which seems to me leads to a lot of code
>> duplication and other issues
>> (for instance having to open a specific port within a firewall, etc.).
>>
>> Any pointer re this problem is very much appreciated.
>
> I guess you'll need to explain first what the problem is.

please see above or let me know if I shall provide other examples why I
think it would be good
to be able to differentiate between a WebDAV client and whatever.

All the best

Michi

--
Michael Wechner