RE: Issue: Requiring server to use / terminated URL for returned collections

On Wednesday, 09/25/2002 at 11:48 AST, "Clemm, Geoff" wrote:
> =A0=A0 From: Jason Crawford [mailto:nn683849@smallcue.com]
>
> =A0=A0 I think the remaining issues are...
>
> =A0=A0 Were there truly some interop issues with not always returning=
> =A0=A0 trailing slash?=A0 What were they?=A0 Would a requirement of
> =A0=A0 consistancy work just as well as requiring a terminating slash=
?

> =A0=A0 Certain broken behaviors in existing clients/servers was menti=
oned.
> =A0=A0 What products, people, etc do we need to follow up with?
>
> =A0=A0 Can a client assume that, if a server returns a URL that ends =
in a
> =A0=A0 slash, the resource referenced is a collection?
>
> I would have no problem with that requirement, if it can be
> demonstrated to have significant client value.

Okay guys. I could make this case, but I'd prefer someone
that builds clients to make it  since it is clients that would would
benefit.

A proposal came out of the
interop that we have servers always return slash terminated
URL's for collections.  That proposal is meeting some
resistance, but there is another proposal on the table that appears
to have some of the advantages of the original proposal.  Geoff
has left the door open for this proposal if a case is made.  If you
were at the interop and have a case to present related
to slash termination, please present it.

J.=