Re: Multistatus required in responses?

On Fri, 5 May 2000 ccjason@us.ibm.com wrote:
>    Are responses for specific methods required to be multistatus?
>    ..
>    I apologize if this question has been answered before on this list.
>
> I believe it has been discussed.  I believe I brought it up and
> the conclusion was that PROPPATCH and PROPFIND must return
> multistatus and take no shortcuts.  The reasoning behind this
> was that it made things more predictable for the client and
> really wasn't any harder for the server.
>
> If it's not already on the issues list, a clarification of this
> should be added to that list.

I would disagree. I think that it is quite valid to return something like
403 (Forbidden) or 401 (Authorization required) as a response. Heck, you
could also return something like 412 or 301, too.

In each of these cases, the 3xx or 4xx applies to the Request-URI. If a
status code ever applies to a URI *other* than the Request-URI (say,
caused by a Depth: header), then a 207 (Multistatus) MUST be returned.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/