Re: Write Locks on Collections

   From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>

   On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Geoffrey M. Clemm wrote:
   >    From: Kevin Wiggen <wiggs@xythos.com>
   >    Re 7.5
   >
   >    A write lock on a collection, whether created by a "Depth: 0" or "Depth:
   >    infinity" lock request, prevents the addition or removal of member URIs of
   >    the collection by non-lock owners.
   >
   > I believe it says "internal member".

   Nope. It just says "member".

Greg is correct.  I must have been been misled by what I *wanted* it
to say.  But the next sentence in 7.5 says:

   As a consequence,
   when a principal issues a PUT or POST request to create a new
   resource under a URI which needs to be an internal member of a write
   locked collection to maintain HTTP namespace consistency, or issues a
   DELETE to remove a resource which has a URI which is an existing
   internal member URI of a write locked collection, this request MUST
   fail if the principal does not have a write lock on the collection.

which leads one to believe that the intent was to talk about internal
members.  In any case, whatever the original intent may have been,
I would propose that the statement in question be modified to explicitly
state "internal member", since depth:0 locks should only affect the
addition and removal of internal members.

Cheers,
Geoff