From W3C eGovernment Wiki
(Redirected from Chatlog 2010-02-17 None)
Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.
<sandro> PRESENT: Brand_Niemann, Cory_Casanave, Daniel_Bennett, Ed_Summers, John_Sheridan, Rachel_Flagg, Sandro_Hawke, Chris_Beer, Ken_Fischer <sandro> Chair: sandro 12:57:55 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #egov 12:57:55 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/02/17-egov-irc 12:58:03 <sandro> rrsagent, make logs public 12:58:12 <sandro> zakim, this will be egov 12:58:12 <Zakim> ok, sandro; I see T&S_EGOV(DMngmnt)8:00AM scheduled to start in 2 minutes 12:58:38 <Daniel_Bennett> Daniel_Bennett has joined #egov 12:59:07 <sandro> Good morning, Daniel. The bridge and IRC channel are all set up. 12:59:09 <Zakim> T&S_EGOV(DMngmnt)8:00AM has now started 12:59:16 <Zakim> + +1.202.449.aaaa 12:59:45 <Daniel_Bennett> aaaa is Daniel Bennett 13:03:27 <Daniel_Bennett> wondering if 8am is that sweet spot of commuting time on East Coast US, sleepy time on West Coast US, and commute or busy time in Europe, and just all around inconvenient time. 13:05:15 <sandro> Could be. It was the best time on the survey, but not a lot of people answered the servey. 13:05:49 <sandro> And the meeting announcement might not have made the strongest Be There! statement. :-) 13:06:01 <Zakim> + +1.202.236.aabb 13:06:06 <Daniel_Bennett> good point. need better marketing 13:06:28 <Daniel_Bennett> who is aabb? 13:06:50 <sandro> whoever is on the phone with you..... 13:06:58 <Daniel_Bennett> cant hear them 13:07:08 <sandro> Ah. Strange. 13:07:47 <Daniel_Bennett> hi brand nieman 13:08:21 <Daniel_Bennett> brand is aabb 13:08:34 <sandro> zakim, aabb is brand 13:08:34 <Zakim> +brand; got it 13:10:02 <Daniel_Bennett> Chris are you there? 13:13:04 <Zakim> -brand 13:13:38 <Zakim> +brand 13:17:23 <brand> brand has joined #egov 13:19:35 <Daniel_Bennett> Agenda Introductions (5 min) Discussion of Scope and Interests of Participants(10 min) Discussion of Statement of Work for this Project (10) Identifying Resources and Project Management for this Project (10) Work on First Project Step (15 min) 13:19:50 <Daniel_Bennett> Agenda #1 13:20:00 <Daniel_Bennett> Brand: hi 13:20:06 <Daniel_Bennett> Daniel:hi 13:20:53 <Daniel_Bennett> agenda #2 13:27:09 <Daniel_Bennett> per an email adding license rights 13:27:30 <Daniel_Bennett> Brand: suggest we use an information model - data model 13:28:13 <Daniel_Bennett> Brand: info model includes topic and sub-topic and the data model includes data table and data elements 13:28:24 <Daniel_Bennett> agenda #2 13:28:42 <Daniel_Bennett> Brand: for data also consider metadata 13:30:42 <brand> http://federaldata.wik.is/Statistical_Abstract_of_the_United_States:_2009 13:31:43 <Daniel_Bennett> hello 13:34:21 <brand> test 13:42:22 <Daniel_Bennett> Brand: use Statistical Abstract for metadata tagging 13:45:08 <edsu> edsu has joined #egov 13:45:50 <sandro> zakim, who is on the call? 13:45:50 <Zakim> On the phone I see +1.202.449.aaaa, brand 13:47:19 <edsu> sandro: is Zakim all set up for scribing? i guess we are using CommonScribe eh? http://www.w3.org/2009/CommonScribe/ 13:47:29 <sandro> Yep. 13:48:17 <Chris> Hey all - I'm here. Not sure how long. 13:48:18 <sandro> for the scribe, you can treat it the same as scribe.perl. 13:48:43 <sandro> Chris, will you be able to call in during the meeting, or only be here on IRC? 13:48:57 <Chris> only IRC tonight 13:49:46 <Chris> (annoying yes, but if I have to call in, I'll keep it to the Web Tech call) 13:50:48 <Zakim> - +1.202.449.aaaa 13:50:50 <Zakim> -brand 13:50:50 <Zakim> T&S_EGOV(DMngmnt)8:00AM has ended 13:50:52 <Zakim> Attendees were +1.202.449.aaaa, +1.202.236.aabb, brand 13:51:03 <Daniel_Bennett> finished the DataMgmt meeting 13:51:58 <sandro> zakim, this will be egov 13:51:58 <Zakim> "egov" matches T&S_EGOV(DMngmnt)8:00AM, and T&S_EGOV()9:00AM, sandro 13:52:03 <sandro> zakim, this will be egov() 13:52:03 <Zakim> ok, sandro; I see T&S_EGOV()9:00AM scheduled to start in 8 minutes 13:55:28 <edsu> brb 13:59:22 <Zakim> T&S_EGOV()9:00AM has now started 13:59:27 <Zakim> +[LC] 13:59:29 <Zakim> + +1.703.994.aaaa 13:59:36 <edsu> Zakim, LC is edsu 13:59:36 <Zakim> +edsu; got it 14:00:43 <Zakim> +Sandro 14:00:51 <Zakim> + +1.509.464.aabb 14:00:52 <Cory> Cory has joined #egov 14:01:20 <sandro> zakim, aaaa is Ken 14:01:20 <Zakim> +Ken; got it 14:01:26 <sandro> zakim, aabb is Rachel 14:01:26 <Zakim> +Rachel; got it 14:01:39 <Zakim> +Cory 14:02:06 <sandro> sandro has changed the topic to: eGov IG http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2010Feb/0080.html 14:03:05 <sandro> scribe: edsu 14:03:20 <Rachel> Rachel has joined #egov 14:05:13 <sandro> zakim, who is here? 14:05:13 <Zakim> On the phone I see Ken, edsu, Sandro, Rachel, Cory 14:05:15 <Zakim> On IRC I see Rachel, Cory, edsu, Daniel_Bennett, RRSAgent, Zakim, Chris, mhausenblas, trackbot, sandro 14:07:15 <edsu> Topic: Administration 14:07:39 <johnlsheridan> johnlsheridan has joined #egov 14:07:40 <edsu> sandro: next meeting in two weeks, any scribe volunteers? 14:07:58 <edsu> Cory: i can do that one 14:08:00 <sandro> next scribe: Cory 14:08:24 <edsu> Topic: Action Item Review 14:08:39 <Zakim> +??P21 14:08:57 <sandro> zakim, ??P21 is John 14:08:57 <Zakim> +John; got it 14:09:07 <sandro> action-98? 14:09:07 <trackbot> ACTION-98 -- Cory Casanave to ask sandro re lobbying efforts (F2F, etc.) within W3C -- due 2010-02-18 -- OPEN 14:09:07 <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/98 14:10:08 <edsu> Cory: one of the suggestions was to have more face-to-face lobbying efforts, more of an action item for thursday 14:10:11 <sandro> action-99? 14:10:11 <trackbot> ACTION-99 -- Cory Casanave to propose a mission statement for our project -- due 2010-02-18 -- OPEN 14:10:11 <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/99 14:10:28 <edsu> sandro: i guess that's a thursday thing 14:10:47 <edsu> sandro: will make sure there's a way to mark actions for subgroups 14:10:59 <edsu> Topic: General Announcements, News 14:11:14 <edsu> Cory: been pretty quiet the last week 14:11:17 <johnlsheridan> q+ 14:11:24 <sandro> ack johnlsheridan 14:11:46 <edsu> johnlsheridan: i went to an event by the danish gov't on open data 14:12:33 <edsu> ... probably about 150 people there. There was a guy from ActionAmerica in the US. Audience was a mixture of officials and open data entrepeneurs ; interesting to see the agenda played through another nation state 14:13:09 <sandro> johnlsheridan: mixture of US-style innovation/apps, alongside offical long-term stuff 14:13:40 <edsu> ... lots of demonstrations, rapid innovation alongside longer-term strategic thinkng. Interesting to see the same dynamic as in the UK: web2.0 and reference data 14:13:47 <sandro> johnlsheridan: In Denmark, same conversation I'm used to, with Web2.0 meets Official Reference/Mandate stuff. 14:14:01 <Li_Ding> Li_Ding has joined #egov 14:14:23 <edsu> johnlsheridan: we've got a linked data meetup in london on the 24th. we're going to be talking about work we've been doing at data.gov.uk 14:15:09 <sandro> johnlsheridan: "get real" : be practical in approaches, overcoming perceived complexity barriers. 14:15:13 <edsu> one thing i'm going to be saying is the 'get real' message, how to we overcome the perceived and actual complexity of moving to a linked data paradigm, and how the community can help us do that 14:15:28 <edsu> ... about 170 people have signed up 14:15:35 <edsu> johnlsheridan++ 14:15:54 <edsu> Topic: Project Group Checkin <sandro> Subtopic: LD Outreach 14:16:21 <edsu> Cory: we just had our initial get-together for project 1 & 2 joint meeting 14:16:56 <Cory> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Linked_Data 14:17:01 <Rachel> Rachel has joined #egov 14:17:02 <Zakim> + +1.202.449.aacc 14:17:12 <Chris> How many on the call? 14:17:16 <edsu> ... a lot of the discussion was about setting our charter 14:17:17 <Daniel_Bennett> aacc is Daniel Bennett 14:17:30 <Cory> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Outreach_Project 14:17:32 <edsu> ... there is an outreach project page where we have a charter 14:17:38 <joec> joec has joined #egov 14:17:56 <edsu> ... we're going to try to get some of the web-apps together 14:18:24 <edsu> ... outreach resonated with people, we were thinking we might organize things under that 14:18:38 <edsu> ... hope we can get the larger group working on the assets 14:18:42 <Daniel_Bennett> Daniel 14:18:52 <sandro> zakim, aacc is Daniel_Bennett 14:18:52 <Zakim> +Daniel_Bennett; got it <sandro> Subtopic: LD Demo 14:19:12 <edsu> sandro: on the third project, george is travling, and corey is going to summarize 14:19:55 <edsu> Cory: we didn't talk as much about the focus of the demo, but we did have a great tour of the RPI open egov data project 14:19:58 <Cory> http://tw.rpi.edu/wiki/Linking_Open_Data 14:20:11 <sandro> and http://data-gov.tw.rpi.edu/wiki/Demos 14:20:17 <Daniel_Bennett> oh no, the coppers are coming 14:20:19 <sandro> zakim, who is making noise? 14:20:29 <Zakim> sandro, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Sandro (25%), Cory (45%) 14:20:37 <johnlsheridan> It was me! 14:20:39 <johnlsheridan> Sorry 14:21:04 <edsu> Cory: they already have gov't demos in place, so we were talking about linking across these demos 14:21:26 <edsu> Cory: i encourage you to take a look at some of the demos on the tetherless world website ; the hope being we could integrate with that 14:21:44 <sandro> Chris: quick report? 14:21:47 <edsu> sandro: chris is on irc for the next group <sandro> Subtopic: Web Tech 14:28:59 <Chris> Quick report from my end: 14:29:29 <Chris> We've got our project page set up. Been adding resources to both that page and Social Media as well. 14:29:55 <edsu> sandro: Brian sent his regrets btw, the plan is to put together a list of the top-10 best practices for social media 14:30:32 <Chris> Going to have some initial issues will handling call until I get VoIP properly set up. Apparently call planned for today (2 1/2 hours time) - ....(more) <sandro> Subtopic: Data Management 14:22:09 <edsu> sandro: lets talk about data management group 14:22:28 <edsu> Daniel_Bennett: i posted up the agenda for the first meeting 14:22:35 <edsu> ... on the wiki 14:23:17 <edsu> ... brand and joe were happy w/ it ; both are working on the metadata portion of it ; how to help governments include metadata for their documents ; that's something that brand will help w/ best practices 14:23:42 <edsu> ... 8 am is a tough time to get people on the west coast of the US 14:24:04 <edsu> ... does anyone on the call have problem with an 8AM EST time? 14:24:20 <edsu> sandro: might make sense to a doodle poll? 14:24:40 <edsu> ... hard to tell who is interested in these calls, only 5 responses to the poll about meeting times 14:24:54 <edsu> Daniel_Bennett: maybe i can do a separate poll, and have them pick times they can attend 14:25:00 <edsu> sandro: yeah, that makes sense 14:25:37 <Chris> sorry - was looking up Skype :) 14:26:12 <edsu> Daniel_Bennett: if you want to make a comment on your blog we can aggregate those, or you can contribute to the wiki 14:26:36 <edsu> ... i think some people have forgotten how to login, sandro can you send out something summarizing how people can use the wiki 14:26:54 <edsu> sandro: can you send me an email detailing what i need to say? 14:26:56 <edsu> Daniel_Bennett: sure 14:27:17 <edsu> Daniel_Bennett: i can put up the notes 14:27:26 <edsu> sandro: i already put up the notes from this morning 14:27:34 <Chris> q+ 14:27:39 <sandro> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Projects 14:27:53 <edsu> sandro: i've been linking the notes from the meetings column 14:28:06 <edsu> ... if you want to update those that's fine 14:28:09 <edsu> Daniel_Bennett: that's great <sandro> Subtopic: Organizational Issues 14:30:33 <edsu> sandro: any other thoughts on the projects? they seem to be starting smaller, hopefully we'll have an atmosphere where people are welcome to join later when they something useful/interesting 14:31:07 <Chris> Could either delay till around early March - give SM and DM a chance to get rolling (that way can avoid doubling on overlapping work) 14:31:28 <Chris> or with a volunteer, could kick it off today - initial is only going to be as others - planning rough direction. 14:31:29 <edsu> sandro: we had almost 30 people indicate interest in the linkeddata, but not all of them showing up on the calls, trying to brainstorm about ideas to bring them in 14:31:52 <edsu> Cory: i had some trouble w/ invites -- i only saw one invite 14:31:55 <Chris> Will have a dedicated discussion forum set up on my personal site by end of week. 14:32:26 <edsu> sandro: people are being sort of ad hoc in the invitations 14:32:30 <Chris> Hopefully planning most work on discussion forum, Telecons to vote/move on results from forum, wiki to publish output. 14:32:57 <Rachel> Can you (Sandro) send out ONE email w/a schedule of the meetings for the six groups? 14:33:13 <Rachel> Include instructions on how to participae? 14:33:48 <Rachel> No agendas necessary....just a reminder of who's meeting and when 14:34:01 <Rachel> so people can get the meetings on their calendars 14:34:04 <sandro> action: sandro send weekly meeting reminders 14:34:05 <trackbot> Created ACTION-102 - Send weekly meeting reminders [on Sandro Hawke - due 2010-02-24]. 14:34:20 <edsu> sandro: maybe send out Monday morning? 14:34:45 <Chris> Would other projects like a discussion forum made for them as well btw? It would keep the wiki discussion pages a little cleaner 14:34:51 <edsu> Rachel: it sounds like not everybody knows what's happening when, some people expect different degrees of interest ... if you let people know who's meeting when they can drop in easier 14:35:29 <edsu> sandro: on monday i'll send out a list of projects that are meeting that week 14:35:38 <edsu> Rachel: could just send out once 14:35:42 <edsu> Cory: people need reminders 14:35:44 <sandro> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Projects 14:35:47 <Chris> +1 Cory 14:36:01 <edsu> Chris: kinda like the meetup reminders 14:36:06 <edsu> s/Chris/sandro/ 14:36:21 <edsu> sandro: coordinator can reply or expand on it as necessary 14:36:26 <edsu> Rachel: thanks 14:36:50 <edsu> sandro: next is john w/ provenance 14:36:56 <sandro> topic: Provenance and eGov 14:37:16 <edsu> johnlsheridan: their last call on friday was abot provenance and gov't data 14:37:32 <edsu> ... i spoke about requirements we have in the uk ... for provenance and linked data 14:37:55 <edsu> ... the provenance community that's there is very energized by government data publishing 14:38:04 <Chris> @ John - any links to requirements in writing you can give?? 14:38:08 <edsu> ... was some discussion about whether gov't has different requirements 14:38:41 <Chris> (or do you mean requirements as in not actual mandatory requirements) 14:38:41 <edsu> ... important for high quality statistics 14:39:08 <edsu> ... we talked about use cases, provenance vocabulary, open provenance model in gov't context 14:39:19 <Cory> Short agenda request: Any comments on the proposal to combine LDSTRAT & LDTECH projects? 14:39:25 <edsu> ... we looked at them, but found them a bit difficult to figure out how best to apply them 14:40:13 <edsu> ... a great conversation w/ the w3c provenance incubator group ... strong interest in the work we're doing 14:40:41 <edsu> ... i will be going back in a couple months to talk about our experience, need to think about how we bubble up that conversation here 14:41:05 <edsu> Cory: were they working with any particular solutions 14:41:32 <sandro> q? 14:41:33 <edsu> johnlsheridan: focus was on use cases ; some of the participants have done prior work (some for 10 years) 14:41:50 <edsu> ... for us i think we need to think of gov't provenance use cases to feed into that group 14:42:37 <edsu> ... how important is it to reflect w/ gov't data the remit/function of an organization with the data ; from an archival perspective this is something that happens 14:43:31 <edsu> ... as we are publishing linkeddata, and converting data we need to use the provenance vocabulary to point at the original data, and the algorithms that were used to transform 14:43:39 <edsu> ... this is something that the provenance vocabulary can do 14:44:19 <edsu> ... we're looking at the Open Provenance Model specifically 14:44:36 <edsu> sandro: how much of the group is thinking in terms of linked data versus some other format? 14:44:44 <Chris> @ John - please contact me over email during the week - may well have a use case for you - in fact I can definately say I have a use case for you to trial any approach you'd like 14:45:29 <edsu> johnlsheridan: hard to judge, i suspect the main difference between me and the rest of the group is that they were largely coming from a research perspective, and i was coming from a perspective of wanting to actually solve the problems 14:45:58 <edsu> ... people are more than willing to engage in a practical conversation 14:46:12 <sandro> q? 14:46:23 <edsu> ... sometimes it can be very liberating for research oriented folks to find an actual real problem to work with 14:46:36 <edsu> sandro: are they running for a year? 14:46:55 <edsu> johnlsheridan: yes, use cases by august 14:47:14 <edsu> ... they are very interested in gov't data, a big draw for them 14:47:35 <edsu> Topic: Combining Projects 1 and 2? 14:47:55 <edsu> Cory: i had a question about combining groups 1 and 2, what people thing 14:48:30 <edsu> sandro: there wasn't a lot of overlap in the survey results ; but if we only have 2 or 3 people showing up, then combining them is probably fine 14:49:04 <edsu> Cory: we'll discuss again tomorrow 14:49:21 <edsu> sandro: if you look at the poll, the comments might be helpful 14:49:40 <edsu> sandro: lets wrap it up, thanks for coming 14:49:46 <Zakim> -John 14:49:47 <Zakim> -Ken 14:49:50 <Zakim> -Rachel 14:49:51 <Chris> I think its a smart move Cory - makes sense. 14:49:52 <Zakim> -Cory 14:49:53 <Zakim> -Sandro 14:49:56 <Zakim> -edsu 14:49:57 <Zakim> T&S_EGOV()9:00AM has ended 14:49:59 <Zakim> Attendees were +1.703.994.aaaa, edsu, Sandro, +1.509.464.aabb, Ken, Rachel, Cory, John, +1.202.449.aacc, Daniel_Bennett 14:50:43 <edsu> edsu has left #egov 14:51:11 <martin_alvarez> martin_alvarez has joined #egov # SPECIAL MARKER FOR CHATSYNC. DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE OR BELOW. SRCLINESUSED=00000250