WAI Education & Outreach Meeting, December 4, 1998
Last updated: December 10, 1998
Scribe: Chuck Letourneau
Posted by: Judy Brewer, WAI EOWG Chair
Alan Cantor (has to leave early)
Action Item Summary
All - send Judy your paper-mailing address so she can distribute quicktip
JB - Judy to ask Joe Welinsky to show us something soon to determine if
EO needs to do something additional?
DD - to check with Kitch Barnicle about status of Events Calendar
JB - to look at adding mention of "old people" and multiple disabilities
to Call for Review.
JB - would like to collect all comments on the quicktips card and revisit
at the end of the month.
JB - re EO meetings: not sure what is happening with the Europeans with
this time slot. Will check back with them.
1. Action item
updates, outreach reports & opportunities
Report on response to quicktips
JB - Thanks to everyone for feedback. We have a pilot printed version.
Took some to Kyoto. Tim Berners-Lee liked them very much and was handing
them out with glee. Other members seemed to like them. JB hasn't looked
over all the feedback that has been coming in. The quicktips page doesn't
have an order form or Daniel's good HTML version of the page. JB would
like to send some out to EO members.
WL - comments that seeing guidelines on a small card says that "this is
HB - distributed about 2-dozen and most comments were positive. But first
thing we should see is the URL for where to get more information was one
important comment. Second point was the only guideline that evinced any
contention. And four people had to put on glasses to see it.
JB - remember to inform people who see it that it is a pilot project.
Update on films discussion
JB - was to talk with Kevin Carey and others about restructuring the film
ideas, and they had come to the same conclusion. JB hasn't had a chance
to catch up on the e-mail about this topic yet.
KC - read Christine's reply and didn't think she had gotten the message.
Changes will change shooting schedules and costs. Steve Tyler said to tell
him how much more money and he would try to get it.
KC - will put out a note to ask people to get up to date and continue as
JB - we will have one film that is more general in terms of disability
and more closely coordinated with WAI.
Update on US DOJ
JB - checked with DOJ people who are referencing our guidelines and made
sure including clear disclaimers on working draft status, consensus process,
Paper & panel submissions
JB - Wendy and Judy collaborated on a paper submission that was submitted
late Monday but was accepted. Discussion generally on Web standards to
draw a wide range of participants but will Trojan horse the accessibility
guidelines into the discussions. JB - received a waiver on submission for
a panel discussion - on technical issues relating to access to mobile telephones
WL - mentioned PalmPilot and suggested we should try and partner with them.
JB - will check on whether PalmPilot group is W3C member
JB - Jutta has agreed to host WAI meetings.
Update on demo Web sites
JB - met with Joe Welinsky, President of WinWriters, had agreed to develop
8 demo web sites, but has now said that 2 or 3 might be more realistic.
They want to do something more simple. Has nothing to show us yet. May
see them in January and we will have to provide a lot of feedback in rapid
fashion. We may have to find some other people to do some sites for us
WL - concerned that this is a serious problem.
JB - shall Judy ask Joe Welinsky to show us something soon to determine
if EO needs to do something?
JB - must check with Kitch Barnicle about status of Events Calendar.
WL - Daniel posted an interesting calendar.
JB - must get Kitch to bring the events calendar into the WAI space.
JB - has worked out the accounts for her.
DD - is the directory chosen yet?
JB - No.
HB - mentioned the XML conference in Spain and thinks we should be there.
JB - if it is important, WAI might be able to cover expenses to make sure
we have coverage. Harvey should contact Judy after the conference call
to discuss further.
of deliverables listing, priorities, resources
- re-organized (easier to follow??)
WL - Wow! Very impressed. A huge amount of work. Suggests a tighter set
of links. Suggests dropping archival links for non current work (otherwise
too confusing). Thinks it is a great working tool.
JB - it is supposed to be a planning tool as well as a reference tool.
We will review a chunk of the deliverables document each time.
- priorities need updating
Review of Planning Information priorities:
Strategies: We should check back every three months or so to verify timelines
Translation and localization: is a high priority and we need to leverage
our resources to forward this. Stability is needed as more translations
Events Calendar/Coverage High priority - In progress
Baseline Data on Web Accessibility Regular - In progress - staring to happen
through liaison with the Web Characterization Activity. Judy is the lead
on this. Has to update this section. WL - is there a formal federal agency
role in this? JB - more likely a non-governmental group. Will make this
a high priority.
Impact Assessment Regular priority - In progress - how do we want to analyze,
what questions must be asked? WL - has any consideration been given to
getting a clipping service. JB - with Sally Khudari's departure, this has
fallen apart and Judy must get it working again.
3. Reference card feedback
Already discussed previously, but Judy would like to collect all comments
and revisit at the end of the month. Expect printed laminated cards to
be ready by late January.
4. Request for
cross-disability review of guidelines
- feedback before it goes out?
JB - Already got some feedback - and thanks.
WL - no mention of "old folks" in the review. And multiple disabilities.
upcoming priorities, schedule of 1999 meetings
Next meeting December 11, 1998 - same time, same bridge (NOT JUDY's OFFICE
Then December 18, 1998. And January 8, 15, 22, 29 same time.
JB - not sure what is happening with Europeans EOWG participants this
time slot. Will check back with them.
6. Update on Curriculum slides:
Comments: make sure disclaimers for which tools to use to use the curriculum
are in the introduction and on speakers notes (as appropriate).
JB: can anybody (somebody) look at the slides with the new release of Opera?
CL: people can start reviewing the sample slides for content only at
this point, although there will be a rash of new changes today and over
the next while.