Features and Bug FixesThe following are features added
to the WWW app on the NeXT with time,
in reverse chronological order. See
also the outstanding bug list . Credits
in brackets are to those who mailed
me with the bug reports, to whom
2.0 - not released yetImages -- inline tiff and postscript,
giff and whatever if you have some
image converter in your path.
Editing works again.
Uses libwww common code library
Cleaned up HTML output: this now
stored HTML with reasonably useful
line breaks so that code managers
will be able to do change control
1.0 - alpha release 1993
- Gopher, FTP, etc access all in.
- Commn styles available in menu and
hotkey. MUCH easier editing and
- Remote files copied locally for opening
in workspace if necessary.
- Editing no longer works
- Uses common code library
0.16A few improvements, but still occasionally
leaves off ro adds in extra SGML
end tags when the last line of a
file is not in Normal style.
- You can select most of the styles
not yet released: 0.14A minor bug fix release, but an essentail
upgrade because the html generated
- Cmd/N nodes get neater default heading
- SGML generated is better: quotes
around href,no more numeric ids,
header and body tags, NEXTID has
N attribute, trivial entities for
< and > and & . PRE supported. (Dan
- You can edit the title of a document
- The Cmd/O panel is merged with the
document inspector (Cmd/3). You
can link to something by name without
- You can inspect links.
- Extra blank lines in HTML free-format
text are ignored.
- The default port number for HTTP
1991: version 0.13
- The Search panel appears automatically
when an index is the main window
and disappears otherwise. The panel
appears in the top right hand corner
to be out of the way of document
windows. The Cmd-F key and menu item
- The "Open from hypertext reference"
text is automatically loaded with
the address of the main window as
a default. This can be picked up
and pasted into mail, etc.
- Bug fix: Plain text windows don't
get distortions in the vertical positioning
of scan lines when you scroll them
- Bug fix : Inability to access cs.orst.edu.
WWW used the FTP "PASV" command when
picking up remote files - some servers
(eg cs.orst.edu) don't support this.
Now it doesn't - it uses "PORT" instead,
which is mandatory for servers. (Ira
- Bug fix: Failed attempts to load
remote files now only produce one
Alert panel instead of two one after
the other. (Ira H Fuchs)
- Bug fix: Loading a newsgroup with
no articles in crashed the application.
Now it doesn't. Also, title bar "Connecting..."
no longer left up once the connection
has succeeded. (Ira H. Fuchs )
- Info->Panel is now not editable.
(Michael D Mellinger )
19 Aug 91 version 0.12
- Bug fix: .rtf files were loaded as
plain text. ( email@example.com
(Paul Burchard) )
- Default.html file shipped with the
.app now has absolute references,
and so will work on a remote site.
15 Mar 91 version 0.11
- Feature: If a file is not available
locally, or mounted under /Net/hostname/...,
the WWW will attempt to pick it up
by anonymous FTP giving user@host
as password. (Currently the user
name given is always "user"!)
- Bug fix: If one didn't have a personal
home file, two error messages would
be given on startup. Now the system
default is loaded without complaint.
(Bug introduced at version 0.9 )
4 April 91 version 0.10
- Bug fix: A dummy window created when
following a link to a different application
would cause crashes if it was resized,
or if the link was followed a second
3 April 91 version 0.9
- Bug fix: Closing a window which has
been edited now prompts for a save
as it should. Alert panels have been
introduced for some file system,
communication and server errors.
- Bug fix: One can now edit files to
which one has group access.
26 March 91 version 0.8
- Changed anchor highlighting from
dark grey to underline, now underline
is available. (I may make underline
or colour a user preference or style
- Modified paragraph spacing so that
dummy spaces are not introduced between
two paragraphs neither or which are
"Normal" style. Also, now, the space
allowed is the larger of the "space
before" the next paragraph and the
"space after" the preceding paragraph,
rather than the sum. Text is generally
- Bug fix: A few memory leaks removed
with the aid of the excellent MallocDebug
- Feature: When a new file is made,
it is given a default title generated
from the filename, irrespective of
the title of the template.
- Fixed version 2 bug: The last run
of a bit of text would have its formating
information overwritten by the previous
run's format. Bug was in v2 [Text
rebewRuns:text:frame:tag] not called
- Fixed version 2 bug: Typing within
anchor would produce non-anchor text,
breaking the paragraph up when the
docuement was saved and reloaded.
(Not 100% tested)
- Version 2 enhancements came for free:
Spell checking, "Windows" menu, "Services"
menu. "File" (was "Window") menu
is now renamed "Document". Also,
random crashes seem to have disappeared
since V2 (touch wood).
- Bug fix: Newly created windows can
be edited the moment you have given
a filename for them to be stored
in: the bug which made them uneditable
has been removed.
- Bug fix: No longer crshes when paragraph
formatting a selection including
the last character.
- Bug fix: The restyling of text can
only occur if document is editable.
It sets the document "edited".
19 March 91 Version 0.7
- The annoying vertical fidgeting on
loading a new window has been removed.
- " Print " and " Page layout " menu
items have been added. Page layout
maintains the "PageType" default
in the NXDefaults database, so it
is persisent between invokations.
- " Help " and " Open master template
" menu items added.
- "Window" menu renamed "File" to match
- " Link to File " menu item allows
direct link to files of this or any
other application. (Not directories).
- Opening remote mounted hypertext
files from the workspace now gives
them the correct hypertext address,
so that links made to them will be
1 Feb 91 Version 0.5
- "New file" and "Link to New" and
- "Address" style implemented in HTML
- Bug fix: Long relative pathnames
now treated properly.
30 Jan 91 Version 0.4
- Save and open panels have reasonable
suggested filenames, and correct
- If one creats an anchor the node
becomes "edited". One cannot create
anchors in unwritable nodes.
- The "editable" status of a file is
deduced from its protection, uid,
- The translation between local filenames
of remote files and backnow works
- Save in RTF or plaintext format now
- Bug fix: No longer crashes on Cmd/W.