Bug List - Wish ListThe following are noted problems
with the WWW app on the NeXT . See
also the list of bug fixes and features
added, and JFG's notes towards his
upgrade proposal . These are the
serious bugs first:
- No Alert Panel when Cmd/O with bad
- Inserting at beginning of paragraph
get style of previous paragraph!
- Saving a reference to a news article
in an html file screws up the address
(adds a directory to it!)
- Highlighting is not implemented.
Any character highlighting is removed
from a file when it is saved (except
that of the paragraph styles).
- Quit doesn't check for unsaved files!
Here are the less serious ones:
- When you do a CMD-O [or Cmd/F] it
probably should position the text
cursor in the field where you type
the reference (Ira H. Fuchs )
- Supress anchors in printed document
- The password given for anonymous
FTP should have the actual user name,
- If (save) fails, then try (save as)
to get, amongst other things, path
creation for the profile files.
- Style editor does not allow styles
to be modified properly.
- Cutting and pasting anchors leaves
them grey but strips them of their
anchor status. (This is because the
"info" inormation is not copied in
to rtf. Can we extend rtf?).
- You can't put anchors into plain
text files or plain text sections.
- HyperText is not automatically resized
when one resizes the window with
- Reply 430 "article not available(?)"
converted to "cannot contact server".
Must be more intelligent about different
- Should try loading saved file instead
of unavailable article.
- Dispense with the SGML tag in stylesheets,
or make stylesheet completely SGML-oriented.
-done but style sheet not user
- Neat idea: Allow the user to create
a "Services" menu item to search
any WWW database for a string (phone
book etc). Lots of attachments under
- Allow .uri files just have meta info.
Great for mailing to people.
- URI pastborad type
- HTML pasteboard type
- rtf or SGML for style sheet format.
Or use interpreteed language.
- Remote files should be copied locally,
especially if they require opening
in the workspace. (Ira H. Fuchs
- File access: open directories as
README plus file list - or open them
in the workspace?
- Perhaps have selection of various
blanks which one could use, for annotations,
text sections, footnotes, etc.
- A style menu with each style as an
- Automatically insert paragraph prefix
when RETURN pushed in list, delete
when paragraph deleted.
Not included yet but won't be missed
- Link Typing.
- "Seen flag" - hash table of all
seen nodes. Link with .newsrc? Server-specific?
- Annotate: Make unique message-id
for file name, save locally if poss
else in user area. Use different
- Format negotiation. -- done
- Concept of a 32-bit pointer to a
name in a hash table for such things
as style names, Format names, etc.
Associated with a list of things
with that name. Is this a NXAtom?
- Create the $(HOME)/WWW subdirectory
- Default styles held in program in
case system styles don't exist.
Done! stylesheet not really used
much. Style sheet needs sorting out.