Re: SC 1.4.10 Reflow and PDFs

HI Steve,

> With respect to the paragraphs that are overlaid vertically in Reflow mode, this even happens when the Tags panel is perfect. It just about never occurs in documents I create, and it seems to happen mostly when the source document is a dog’s breakfast. I often wonder why on earth people create documents the way they do. I expect there is some parameter buried deep in the tag properties that causes the problem, but I can’t find it.

I’m guessing - without knowing - that the software is trying to do the job too crudely by retaining source content styling regardless of results. Other reflow software (e.g., Liquid mode) does a much better job of it.

Indeed, it’s also possible that the tag's attributes are either wrong (don’t reflect the content) or unused by Reflow (which appears to use only a modest portion of tagged PDF).

> The reading order in Reflow mode is still based on the Content panel, so you have to fix that. Most people who do document remediation don’t do it, but some of us do. For those who don’t know, you must fix the Content panel order before fixing the Tags panel.

This is tragic, and results from the fact that Reflow was never intended or designed to meet accessibility needs in the first instance, so users are forced (if they insist on making this software deliver useful results in an accessibility context) to hack aspects of the PDF that should never need to be touched.

Users can’t be blamed for the dogfood set in front of them. When (ok… if) reflow software ever supports tagged PDF properly the idea of hacking around in the (misnamed) Content panel will become obsolete once and for all.

Duff.