From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Sent: 15 November 2023 13:16
To: Bristow, Alan <Alan.Bristow@elections.ca>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Screen reader operation appears strange on multi-page form

Ce message a été envoyé par un expéditeur externe. Veuillez faire preuve de prudence et ne pas cliquer sur les liens ou ouvrir les pièces jointes à moins de reconnaître l'expéditeur et de savoir que le contenu est sûr.

This message was sent from an external sender. Please exercise caution and do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

This sort of behaviour is not unusual with single-page applications in which the focus position is not being controlled properly. However, it doesn’t sound like you have a single page application because it wouldn’t work with JavaScript turned off. Or it would revert to the conventional behaviour of reloading the page between pages.

Another possibility is that the “autofocus” attribute is being used to intentionally place the focus somewhere. Or is all the page 2 content hidden with “aria-hidden”? That would give the same behaviour, but you could still access that hidden content by navigating backwards using tab key navigation. Apart from that I can’t think of a non-JavaScript reason for the behaviour.

Are you able to share a link?

Steve Green

Managing Director

Test Partners Ltd