From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2023 11:18 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Accessible Authentication

On 14/11/2023 20:37, Steve Green wrote:
> was informed by an authoritative source that the Understanding
> document does indeed override the normative text. Or to be more
> precise, it explains how the normative text must be applied.

For context, the discussion (from my recollection) was along the lines of "the normative SC text for 4.1.1 says 'nested according to the specification', and the understanding explains that that is to be understood to mean the same as the XML concept of 'well-formedness' - i.e. not 'it must be valid', but 'it must be well-formed / opening/closing tags must not overlap'". Whereas you were arguing that the normative 'nested according to the specification' can also be interpreted as 'must be valid per the spec', which was not the intention when the SC was written and the understanding document clarified that part, and you argued that your interpretation of the normative text could supersede the understanding document since the latter is only informative.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux https://mastodon.social/@patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke