Re: Is it acceptable to provide two versions of a site to work around an accessibility problem?

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Julian Voelcker wrote:

> The problem we have is that the client wants the content to be centred
> on the page with some fixed width columns - if you try to increase the
> font size in the browser some of the content ends up overlapping from
> one column to the one beside it.  It only happens with the menu column
> down the left hand side when there are long words in the menu.
>
> I can get around this by providing a 'text only' style link on the page
> so that users with problems can get the linear version.

text only extra site is probably legal, but hardly acceptable to most
people with disabilities

> Ideally I should try to persuade the client to move to more flexible
> columns, but I have failed so far.
>
> What would you suggest the best way to go with this is?

charge considerably extra for the work to make the site inaccessible then
a seperate site, I also require a client to sign a waiver that they are
requiring something that is in violation of federal and state laws.  that
usually gets em to back down, when the liability is on them.

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net