Re: [OT] Misuse of Out of Office Responders

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> Now that the holiday season is upon us, could people please ensure
> that, if they generate Out of Office auto replies, they only send
> them to personal correspondents, not to people on public mailing lists.

Hear, hear!  Given that the ancient "vacation" program has got this
right since before there was a WWW, it seems deeply wrong that anyone
should be producing or using deeply defective software that can't
cope with the simplest mailinglist protocols today.

OTOH, it's a fairly minor nuisance compared to the sheer volume of
Klez and similar stuff clogging up the 'net.

> W3C lists use de facto standards to flag their articles as list articles,
> but my understanding is that Microsoft will not do anything to honour
> Precedence headers until they become de jure standards.

Their track record suggests that de jure standards are unlikely to
cut much ice, either.

--
Nick Kew