23 November 2022


flackr, mustaq, Patrick_H_Lauke, smaug
Patrick H. Lauke
Patrick H. Lauke, Patrick_H_Lauke

Meeting minutes

Meta-issue: update WPT to cover Pointer Events Level 3 https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/445


Olli: I've added "needs-wpt" to PRs that I looked at and that then need a test https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues?q=is%3Aclosed+label%3Aneeds-wpt+

<mustaq> And we already have 6 PRs marked as "needs-wpt"

Patrick: so if you find any that have just the "wpt" tag and are sure that it's not something we need/can have a test for, just remove the tag

Patrick: so in the end we'll hopefully be left just with "needs-wpt" ones and none with "wpt"

Olli: I did have a question about coalesced events etc in secure context - seems no browser does it, and WPT runs tests just as http.

Mustaq: do you have an issue for that?

<smaug> https://wpt.fyi/results/pointerevents/idlharness.window.html?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&view=subtest&q=idlharness

Olli: if you run this in your browser for wpt live, it's using a NON-secure context as it's just http not https

Olli: if you manually add https, you can run the test in secure context. but yes, running the test even in http passes in firefox at least

Olli: when it should only pass in secure context

ACTION: carry on working through remaining "wpt" PRs until we have none left and only "needs-wpt" left, then we can divide workload on how to get tests done

Mustaq: [asking about which PR the secure context relates to]

Patrick: https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/pull/318

Olli: test might just need to test the window/securecontext flag

Heartbeat: Clarify what the target of the click event should be after capturing pointer events https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/356

[no movement on this one yet]

Patrick: we may have to see if we can somehow defer this for next version, as otherwise this may hold up spec indefinitely

new pull request about popover light dismiss integration https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/pull/460

Patrick: I'm loathe to add anything to our spec until this is stable

Olli: yes, we should wait (the naming of the attribute has been in flux)

Rob: yes i've been involved in the discussions. it's being reviewed, but certainly not being shipped yet

Patrick: i'll mark as for next spec version, we can always review if this makes into into live spec before we go final

Patrick: unless there's other business, let's keep it short and sweet today

Olli: I'll carry on going through some more of the WPT pull requests

Patrick: thank you. I'll refresh my mind about W3C process to see what next steps are since we're now edging closer to completion. See you again in 2 weeks' time

Summary of action items

  1. carry on working through remaining "wpt" PRs until we have none left and only "needs-wpt" left, then we can divide workload on how to get tests done
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 196 (Thu Oct 27 17:06:44 2022 UTC).


Maybe present: Olli, Patrick, Rob

All speakers: Mustaq, Olli, Patrick, Rob

Active on IRC: mustaq, Patrick_H_Lauke, smaug