Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

03 November 2022


abbey, Becca_Monteleone, David-Swallow, Jennie, julierawe, kirkwood, rashmi
rachael, rain
+ EA, EA, lisa

Meeting minutes

<rashmi> presesent+

Regrets from Rain and Rachael

<lisa> next item

Lisa will do an orientation chat next week for newcomers

Lisa highlighted that KPIs need to be checked as this phase ends in March 2023

Suggested doing subgroups with KPIs - tasks and actions in doc

Jennie updated that she is back full time and has coga tasks that she will go through and update later in the week.

<Roy> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/ctaur/FPWD-2022/DNOTE-ctaur-20221027.html#sotd

Lisa said that APA drafted a note their editor draft saying that they knew it was not ready - Rachael made a summary of the work completed and Jennie added a few suggestions - we can add to it at any point as it is a working draft.

Then APA will review comments in the New Year - Lisa felt that was the best could be expected. Need to review the methodology as well not as an after thought. Next steps are to see if there is anything at the wiki to see if there is anything important. Really need to check what is missing as companies will be looking at it. New deadline is end of December 2022.

Jennie will draft a plan to see where the work needs to be done - next steps needed and people to help.

Jennie will put together the next steps

Lisa mentioned no luck with verifiable credentials. No more feedback - Lisa said she could make it an issue then it will have high level interest.

Lisa does not want it to go under the radar

that is the verifiable credentials

No update on EO document

Julie asked about the best way to get feedback from Silver and Lisa mentioned that by January there will be a more stable template in January

AG APA Functional review - intersectionality between disabilities. Lisa feels they are not in a hurry to get more information but maybe we need to update our research about co-occuring difficulties - need to highlight these issue are address in intersectionality. Must not forget about it!

Media track - has a good issue been done? Someone needs to follow this up ... Lisa said her name was down for it.

Other actions - guardianship draft - Michael has suggested that if we have someone who has that type of support it would help with the draft

Jennie said that maybe if there is someone with difficulties of this nature could get accommodations to have a helper who would help with the tasks involved when joining coga and the processes.

Lisa asked if Jennie could draft this type of request for Michael and John K. is willing to collaborate on this task

Jennie would like to share the draft via email and John suggested Google doc so this will be worked on next week

Lisa also mentioned that Michael is also very busy at the moment

Kiki said that she has finished with the qualitative research with a deck nearly ready for presentation

<lisa> next item

Rashmi is working on mental health and there will be a meeting after this one

Next item KPIs to go with sub-groups

Going through the document

Rashmi felt the mental health KPIs are on time - need more papers and then decide on the actual timeline - need to get it all agreed on by March

Kiki hopes by then there will be draft versions but interviews might not happen until beginning of 2023 - Kiki feels the new structure will be ready by end of March 2023

Clear language has no timeframe as we cannot do anything till we have the templates.

Test plan and Strategy -Jennie and Shawn

Jennie had to cancel the meetings with Shawn so will be catching up next week and will check timelines and look at the test process so AG can agree or disagree.

Lisa said if the reality is we cannot do this with present structures we have to be honest

Jennie is going to try to isolate out small wins in order to have something to show for the work completed

Research Plan and Strategy - have had change over of leaders and Lisa has taken on the task - not many people completing tasks so difficult and maybe needs help - perhap move it to the main sessions - do it as action items in the main group. Or should it stay as a subgroup?

<kirkwood> +1 to adding it, it really needs to be don

Becca - happy to contribute to but difficult to get to subgroup meetings.

<abbey> +1 to adding it to the main meetings

<rashmi> +1

Lisa asking what research docs do we need now so keep in subgroup?


<David-Swallow> +1 to adding it. Seems a good approach if it's not working as a subgroup.

Images - good examples for each objectives and two bad examples created.

Jennie mentioned reorganisation by work to be completed by graphic designers - meeting tomorrow and feels that once the discussion has occurred then it should be easy to complete on time.

<lisa> next item

Kiki had community group meeting and changing the form as a result of feedback from different community groups. Some examples have already been developed and Kiki wants to ensure that more examples are made available as a result of meeting with a more diverse range of individuals

Measurable goals - need more people to support - find out how our content usable wider docs are being used

Review github issues and feedback to mental health group - much to be done from that we need to see which issue papers need to be updated

Also are there issue papers that still need to be written. Then need to put it all together as a plan and how it all needs to be published. Whether these should be wiki pages or notes etc

<kirkwood> Think the wiki page sounds interesting to me

We need to know what we are doing with our research papers... Make a plan for after March 2023

Our survey only provide 6 responses - need to update as a W3C note not as a wiki page. But with only 6 responses this does not give us enough to work on but at least they were external responses

<lisa> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xXjHPCfWm00iAJqmjdwFq_RQ80vKwwxFAoiEGI3NOlM/edit#gid=1485617472

Need to send out the survey again - link above

Send the survey around to researchers

Jennie asked for deadline -

Kiki said the number needed as a confidence level based on number in our population

Lisa can find out the number based on usage

Kiki said we need an idea of how many people are using it so our sample size makes us feel confident this really represents a fair proportion of people in terms of responses

Survey needs to be filled out by Nov 30th 2022. Everyone send it out again as a reminder.

<julierawe> Can you reshare the link to this doc with the sample text for outreach? (And sorry I joined the meeting so late...)

Jennie will also send it out with a news letter and EA will send to JISC groups and Aaron will send to his social media groups

<lisa> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xXjHPCfWm00iAJqmjdwFq_RQ80vKwwxFAoiEGI3NOlM/edit#gid=1485617472

<lisa> outline plan https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wu0WYcvCpp-zIz2NzPk2AuTJOrzgh3T4sKQgzCa10ps/edit#

Lisa went through the document and suggested that we also start on Phase 2 with partners.

Because W3C is not a research organisation they are unable to take on research that requires ethics.

Issue papers that have been started could be updated so that they can be published.

Some issue papers just need short literary reviews in order to update such as technology where there have been changes and innovations

New issue papers possibly for AI, multiple co-occurring impairments, support for behavioural control and Triggers - the latter have been discussed in the mental health subgroup.

Need to find partner organisations - provide potential list.

<Jennie> * Apologies - have to drop. Have a good week.

Lisa went through the next steps and highlighted some of the tasks with comments and asked if anyone could help to make some of these tasks happen.

Aaron said that he is happy to help but wants to find out what the specific tasks would involve such as a small literature review of issues papers to check if they need updating

Aaron said that he will tend to focus on the methodologies and provide feedback

Lisa suggested a short call with Aaron to support the work.

Becca happy to help to see what is needed to make the papers ready for publication - can do this at the beginning of the New Year. Maybe prepare the ground prior to the work in a Google doc.

Aaron asked about which papers we are discussing and Lisa confirmed that some are already published and need updating and others are just titles that require new issue papers. Also need to argree on the structure

<abbey> I have to drop for another meeting, but I will reach out to Lisa to discuss what I can help with

David is happy to build a list of potential partners

mental health

<lisa> home page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups/Mental_Health mental health reaserch tracking: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XWmikm5Ein5CQ02knEJ5iGzO1YJMilTMBJ_aLVCTzs0/edit#heading=h.bc4vqyklmnk0 Please add your review at [Form for adding new reserch]: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGrqJKV7RluoYrKHJN8cBJH3w9sDx7lAlAhcV0BeBTUVybkw/viewform spreadsheet with papers reviewed so far:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet[CUT]

<lisa> next item

<lisa> close item 4

<rashmi> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#heading=h.ka7r1m4q5vkc

<lisa> next item

<Zakim> lisa, you wanted to react to Jennie

<rashmi> Mental Health Research Tracking https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XWmikm5Ein5CQ02knEJ5iGzO1YJMilTMBJ_aLVCTzs0/edit#heading=h.bc4vqyklmnk0

<rashmi> Mental Health Literature Review (Responses) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eKNrofGubnpQE6mO-vxmI-1MW5nA2LDj0LxebREPRGA/edit?resourcekey#gid=1686096268

<lisa> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HixNzZUXWiMBfyPjlZj0COtBkI3h1uvlxTFGIzAVngk/viewform?edit_requested=true

<rashmi> Kuerbis A, Mulliken A, Muench F, Moore AA, Gardner D. Older adults and mobile technology: factors that enhance and inhibit utilization in the context of behavioral health. Ment Heal Addict Res. 2017;2:1–11. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317255519_Older_adults_and_mobile_technology_Factors_that_enhance_and_inhibit_utilization_in_the_context_of_behavioral_health

<lisa> next item

<lisa> close item 6

<rashmi> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bHMw35rSEuThUMa3h2naTXRRJzzAvBYNhdtkUBx7bZ0/edit

review of analysis doc

should we propose . tone, simple positive , be respectful and do not talk down as a new potential patern? understanding that it is hard to test

(and other notes we put into the doc


<rashmi> +1

<kirkwood> +1

<aaronchu> 0

<David-Swallow> -1 I'm not fully on board with it as representing a potential pattern. It just feels like good advice/best practices? Unless I'm missing something?

<aaronchu> +1 David

<kirkwood> +1

<kirkwood> need to go, best to all!!

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 192 (Tue Jun 28 16:55:30 2022 UTC).