Silver Task Force & Community Group

15 April 2022


Janina, jeanne, Jem, KimD, kirkwood, Lauriat, Makoto, maryjom
jeanne, Shawn
Chuck, going into unscribed exercises.

Meeting minutes

Jeanne, do you hear me?


Jeanne: Be sure to update scribe page.

Take up item 1

take up item 2

Jeanne: We'll talk a bit about how the guideline exercise is related to the wcag2 to wcag3 migration plan.

Jeanne: A lot of you were around when we started working on the outline map.

<jeanne> WCAG to Silver Outline Map

Jeanne: this was our first try at getting them together. We worked on them last fall/early winter. Can Shawn talk about how that went into the first placeholder guideline?

Shawn: page 2 there's a heading map, the sc's are grouped together, initial map. Down at the bottom (page 20)

<Lauriat> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aCRXrtmnSSTso-6S_IO9GQ3AKTB4FYt9k92eT_1PWX4/edit#heading=h.20nok4tfj7v5

Shawn: Outline was very good at identifying how we group, how we think, user needs, etc. But still difficult to determine the shape of the guidelines.

Shawn: We went through larger outline and distilled down to placeholder guideline. There's list of 31 things that are "here is more or less what guidelines might look like"

<Lauriat> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/silver/600a2fda8a624489f2d63840abdddbd6af0f7b05/guidelines/index.html

Shawn: <above link> is for pull request that has those same placeholder guidelines. You can get an idea of the shape of the guidelines.

Jeanne: Now bringing us up to where we are, there are a number of ideas brought up for different ways to organize the guidelines. People reviewed and had different ideas.

Jeanne: To find a way forward, chairs decided to look at the guideline and be able to easily sort them and look at them in different ways so we could get into details and decide what groupings made sense.

Jeanne: <screen sharing> What this is, it's a db that Alastair set up. It's not accessible, whenever we finish a template doc, we put the info into this db so we can sort it by different attributes.

Jeanne: Functional needs, user needs. We noted where SC was too broad and could be broken down.

Jeanne: The group that worked on guidance broke it down further. We can dig down into details of the sc we want to migrate.

Jeanne: We can see how to group them in a way that works for all.

Jeanne: Detlev sent out an email this week where he had a different proposal. He noted that the 5 sc we originally did wouldn't fit in his new proposal.

Jeanne: It's important for us to be able to look into the details of what fits and doesn't fit. This is important to both AGWG and Silver. We are making good progress.

Jeanne: We have picked out 4 SC we worked on today. Any comments from anybody?

take up next item

<Lauriat> Each group should make a copy of this worksheet to fill in: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MGGgqgeL779aJu7iNuXQMHgJygV7l6GouM7--5ABJ5U/edit

<jeanne> Template

I am monitoring IRC

<jeanne> Abbreviations

<jeanne> How to Meet WCAG

<jeanne> Abbvreviations (take 2)

<kirkwood> Interruptions https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/time-limits-postponed.html

<kirkwood> Interruptions google doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HSl8bUEVrfyYem9555z7kzX5s1LWLwj_Wad-ko2mOeI/edit#heading=h.vx20z4iqr83a

Question for Jeanne: Do we want to let the rooms carry out their work to the end of the hour, or do we want to reconvene in main room at a point (say 10 minutes) before the hour ends?

Shawn can also chime in on same question.

<jeanne> That's a good idea. That gives us 10 minutes to discuss how it worked.

OK. 20 minutes left.

10 minutes left.

<Lauriat> Consistent Identification - WCAG 2.x guideline breakdown <- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pixL2TUGuskgH0ZfT8zmJpM1-Q2qEr-y9H7RpNslxSc/edit

Jeanne: I'd like to check in with everybody and see how it went. Do you think this is a usefull process knowing where we are going? Is it worth doing, or any better ideas?

Jemma uses zoom thumbs up

John Kirkwood: From interruptions, we were having a good look at the aspect of what the functional needs were.

John Kirkwood: From justifiable interruption perspective. Emergency alerts. How it would come into play.

John Kirkwood: Hitting against the issues of focus attention and shifting attention.

John Kirkwood: That can go into an issue of if someone has limited memory.

<Jem> +1

John Kirkwood: Anybody else from our group?

Rachael: Incredibly insightful. I thought it was "yes/no", but all the qualities of an emergency, it becomes more complex.

Janina: It's a usefull process. I thought it was a good conversation. Maybe more time, reading on the fly took up some time. My lack of familiarity played a part, and we process information differently.

Janina: My experience with interruptions is focused on my experience as a screen reader user.

Jeanne: Janina, would it be a better process if we do it again if we have people choose what they want to participate in?

Janina: works for me if I do the homework.

Shawn: I'm going to query my team mates.

Jemma: I like the experience, alot. This was a good opportunity to "chew" on details. I liked the breakroom. I was sampling what Rachael and John talked about. We go into a deep dive, I love this exercise.

Kim: It would be good for me to think on this ahead of time. It's a powerful exercise.

Kim: It helps me to think about it from other perspectives.

Shawn: +1 to everybody's comments.

Shawn: I'll add that it was interesting to pick apart the actual guidance we included in WCAG from the underlying intention from what the guidance was suppose to cover.

Shawn: We got into discussions into other things that identify things consistently. Round buttons, square buttons can be inconsistent.

Shawn: For some of user needs, we didn't necessary know the user needs. We didn't have as much familiarity. We drew a line of "if it's clear" we'll add it.

Chuck: Any book keeping necessary?

Shawn: Yes we should. Whoever made the initial documents, please add the links at the least. We who have access to the silver google account can then request access to each of the docs and make sure they get stored properly.

Jeanne: Will discuss outside of call.

<Jem> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pixL2TUGuskgH0ZfT8zmJpM1-Q2qEr-y9H7RpNslxSc/edit#

Jeanne: Please put links in IRC if not already done so.

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 185 (Thu Dec 2 18:51:55 2021 UTC).


Maybe present: Chuck, Jemma, Kim, Rachael, Shawn