plh: i have a few administrative things to mention
plh: charter has been approved, we have a new PEWG for the next 2 years. business as usual
plh: we have a new calendar system, used PEWG as a guinea pig. you probably saw notifications on mailing list. will keep working with Patrick as well
plh: you can opt out of personal notifications on website if you want
mustaq: Liviu did not get notifications
plh: it might be if you're not part of working group. ask chris wilson to add you and it should all work
Reword/expand touch-action definition https://
github.com/ w3c/ pointerevents/ pull/ 349
[Discussion around "continuous zoom" and how it's an unfamiliar - made up - term. Suggestion that we *can* mention gesture names more directly (e.g. "pinch to zoom") as long as we don't try and *define* gestures.]
Patrick: I can iterate on the wording a bit more by end of this week. If we could all look at github before next meeting and see if it makes sense.
Action: Patrick to tweak wording further, review for next meeting
Major refactoring: refer to "direct manipulation" rather than "touch" https://
github.com/ w3c/ pointerevents/ pull/ 350
mustaq: [mentions the tension of "direct manipulation" as an ambiguous term]
Patrick: as we're making up terms, maybe we could say "direct touchscreen manipulation" (which covers touch AND stylus)
mustaq: this could still be confusing for situations like Wacom stylus, which is not on a touchscreen/direct
Patrick: but OS treats it as if it were
<mustaq> I don't think in Chrome we differentiate between on-screen vs off-screen stylus.
<mustaq> But that's a futuristic question for us to resolve!
Patrick: the situation is difficult either way. we won't be able to craft a term that covers all scenarios. but perhaps "direct touchscreen manipulation" covers the majority of what we want to say (not just finger/touch, but also stylus, but not mouse) and accept that Wacom type scenarios may be "weird"
Patrick: i'd say let me try and see what the PR would look like with "direct touchscreen manipulation" in place. discuss on github for next meeting. it could well be that we can find something we're happy with. OR we may need to think of a completely fresh new approach. could even pull in some people who are not familiar with the spec to see if it makes sense to mere mortals
Action: Patrick to tweak language to say "direct touchscreen manipulation", group to review for next time
plh: [mentions that even though nothing changes for us, our ACs need to confirm that we are officially rejoining the PEWG]
Patrick: thank you everybody. let's keep an eye on github and hopefully we can come up with wording for these two items that we can at a minimum live with, but ideally that make sense/are good. and hopefully by next meeting we can merge something.