Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

10 March 2021


amy_c, becky, dlibby_, ela, Fazio_, Fredrik, Gottfried, IanPouncey, janina, jasonjgw, JeanneSpellman, JF, joconnor, John, John Paton, Jonny_James, Laura_Carlson, MichaelC, Paton, sharon
Leonie, Paul

Meeting minutes

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2021Feb/0053.html

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2021Mar/0001.html

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<becky> https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Agenda Review & Announcements; Time Changes;


Niklas Schildhauer is a graduate student of Computer Science and Media at Stuttgart Media University, Germany.

His bachelor thesis builds upon the proposed media features by APA (see link above).

Media feature candidates:

prefers-color-scheme, prefers-reduced-motion, prefers-contrast, forced-colors, prefers-reduced-transparency, prefers-reduced-data

More from the GPII project: audio-description-enabled captions-enabled sign-language & sign-language-enabled pictograms-enabled self-voicing-enabled display-skiplinks table-of-contents session-timeout extended-session-timeout

More information: https://gitlab.mi.hdm-stuttgart.de/ns107/ba-mq5

David: Is this intended for user agents or site owners?

Niklas: UA have to implement the media queries. Site authors can write appropriate code.

David: Is this already available in user agents?

Niklas: Yes, but only with polyfills and a workaround for environment variables.

David: This is good for the work of the personalization tf.

Example web page: https://gpii.eu/mq-5/example/registration

<joconnor> Nice presentation 🙂

<Fredrik> awe+

David: Are there negative side effects of the hack?

Niklas: In the draft for environment variables, there is a note that this is an open issue. But no negative side effects.

<Fredrik> Great presentation, Niklas! Very interesting.

<JF> GitHub link: https://gitlab.mi.hdm-stuttgart.de/ns107/ba-mq5

<Fazio_> ada aA+1 to JF

<laura> Thank you, Niklas.

<Fredrik> Guten Appetit Niklas!

<laura> Thank you, APA.

Special presentation Media Queries to enhance accessibility

Open CFC -

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2021Mar/0001.html

Becky: The CfC closes tonight.
… You need to subscribe to the wai-admin mailing list.

Task Force Updates

Jason: RTC accessibility user requirements and XR accessibility user requirements are heading towards publication.
… Media synchronization related to audio/video and captions
… Task force starting work on accessibility of speech based interfaces.
… Will start with an early stage draft.

Janina: CfC for RTC accessibility and XR accessibility will come in the next couple of weeks.
… Pronunciation TF: Document needs to be revised to contain more contextual information.
… Hopefully will take only a couple of weeks.

Becky: Personalization tf will need a few more weeks for CfC.

<Fazio_> we are in cfc

Janina: Cognitive and learning disabilities tf will have their doc ready hopefully next week.

New Charters Review

Michael: Media wg charter

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<MichaelC> Proposed Media WG charter

Michael: Looks like a straight forward recharter. No major changes.

Becky: Looked at PiP.

Michael: We had only comments on EME (Encrypted Media Extensions).
… It is an approach to digital rights management

<Fredrik> Thanks - was also wondering.

John: Very political discussion on EME

<MichaelC> PROPOSED Media and Entertainment Interest Group Charter

We are comfortable with the proposed Media WG charter.

We are comfortable with the proposed Media and Entertainment Interest Group Charter

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker

<becky> https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Michael: This allows us to track existing issues that are filed on specs.
… Now added: When a spec is going to wide review, we can flag issues or close issues.

Becky: This is similar to the process for i18n.

<MichaelC> [css-fonts-5] advance-override details

Michael: This is under active discussion. Do we want to follow?

Ian: Need to read it first.

<MichaelC> [mediaqueries-5] duplication of `forced-colors: active` and `prefers-contrast: forced`

Michael: I think we wanted James Craig to sign off the issue.

Becky: Keep it open for now.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> Image Resource

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Image_Resource

Michael: We had a discussion on this about 1 year ago.
… No actions since then i believe.
… It is an API for an image. Like an abstract class for images.

Becky: "Label" provides the accessible name.

John: Specify alternative images based on size. But only one alternative text can be provided.

Michael: It is probably meant for icon collections.

Janina: Yes. And it should be made clear.

Michael: Either file a comment or stop our tracking?

John: Let me investigate this and discuss again next week.

Action: JF to investigate https://www.w3.org/TR/image-resource/ - do we have a comment to submit?

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2284 - Investigate https://www.w3.org/tr/image-resource/ - do we have a comment to submit? [on John Foliot - due 2021-03-17].

Becky: "Authors are strongly encouraged to add a label unless..."

Other Business

Becky: How to publish the recording of the presentation today?

Janina: First we need to work on it, e.g. put a title frame on. I need to talk about this in the coordination group.

<Fredrik> Thanks everyone! See you next week!

rsagent, draft minutes

Summary of action items

  1. JF to investigate https://www.w3.org/TR/image-resource/ - do we have a comment to submit?
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Succeeded: s/comfortabel/comfortable

Maybe present: David, Ian, Jason, Michael, Niklas