Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

18 Nov 2020


jasonjgw, janina, present, JPaton, SteveNoble, joconnor


<scribe> scribe: janina

<JPaton> +present

Media synchronization.

[participant intros]

Web of Things (including relationship with Universal Remote Console and associated ISO standards).

jgw: Asks for update re ISO work from years past

<jasonjgw> Janina: This is still to be taken up in APA; janina will resume the conversation later today at the APA meeting.

<jasonjgw> Janina: notes the strong affinity with the ISO/INSITS-V2 work.

[discussion of next steps]

RAUR and XAUR: the plan to achieve W3C Working Group Note status

jgw: Summarizes RAUR for jp

<joconnor> https://www.w3.org/TR/xaur/

jo: Proposes to publish as a W3C Note
... We're ready to publish updated wd; but not expecting more work

<joconnor> http://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/Sept2020_xaur_production/xaur/index.html

jo: If we learn new things in the future, we can rev the published Note

<joconnor> /raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/Sept2020_xaur_production/xaur/index.html#c-change-log///raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/Sept2020_xaur_production/xaur/index.html#c-change-log

<joconnor> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/2020-nov-raur-publication/raur/index.html

jo: Oops, I posted the wrong URI! Use the second

<jasonjgw> Janina: the process would start with a resolution by the Task Force recommending that APA publish it as a W3C Note.

<joconnor> Here is the change log for RAUR https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/2020-nov-raur-publication/raur/index.html#c-change-log

<jasonjgw> This would be submitted to APA.

<jasonjgw> Then APA runs a Call for Consensus.

sh: +1; well done note

jgw: believe we're close; but would like to give it one more review before moving to a resolution
... Proposes a decision next week
... So, decision on 2 December

jo: OK

sh: TRwo weeks is a long time, is there a better path

<jasonjgw> Janina: if we move the resolution to December, the earliest publication date would be in January.

<jasonjgw> If we made a resolution today, there's a chance we could publish in December.

<jasonjgw> There's still an opportunity for review via the APA CfC.

jo: Strong +1 to resolution today, unless people have strong concerns

sh: also strong +1 from me

jp: Believe I responded on a particular github issue, but expect I wouldn't find a big miss

jo: Prefer to try for 2020 publication ahead of being exclipsed by Silver FPWD

<joconnor> JS: We are suggesting a resolution now where we publish RAUR as a W3C note

<joconnor> Otherwise it will be Jan 2021, possibly also eclipsed by Silver

<joconnor> SN: The last time I looked it was really good

<joconnor> JS: If we find little errors or tweaks, or editorial changes we can make those as we go.

<joconnor> Anything that is substantive would bring the doc back for review and fail the CFC.

<joconnor> SH: Question about if we find issues with the doc, what happens with the CFC?

<joconnor> JW: So APA gets to review - gives overview

<joconnor> lets do it

<joconnor> SH: Sounds like a plan

<joconnor> JS: Lets draft a resolution

<joconnor> DRAFT RESOLUTION: RQTF recommends APA publish the RAUR at https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/2020-nov-raur-publication/raur/index.html

RESOLUTION: RQTF recommends APA publish the RAUR at https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/2020-nov-raur-publication/raur/index.html as a W3C Note.

js: Prefer email to group-apa-chairs@w3.olrg

[discussion of when/how to publish XAUR]

sh: question came up on how long someone with a speech deficiency might have to input a command

jo: Yes, it's there

js: But it's not a XAUR issue, it's a PDA issue

<joconnor> That issue isn't limited to XAUR - if a user has this issue then it is applicable to other things, and can be considered more general

jgw: Notes there are WCAG guidelines on timeouts

<joconnor> JW: There can be time limits on input etc

jgw: Expect it should be cross-href'd into WCAG from XAUR
... Ditto for anything else we look at

sh: concerned that it ranges beyond wcag 2.x

js: Yes, but very much scoped form wcag 3

<joconnor> JOC: This is interesting in terms of the XR subgroup work in Silver that we are doing, where does the user agent end and the content begin?

<jasonjgw> Janina: in games and other XR environments, changes will occur at a set rate; has the environment changed while the user is entering a response?

<joconnor> This is intersting Scott can we revisit this and discuss further?

jgw: Notes 2.2.1 in wcag for each time limit -- so for each timelimit in the app

jo: we were cautious about overspecification; we'll learn from experience and will likely rev our guidance

<jasonjgw> Janina: notes that this is new territory for accessibility, so we need the revise/review cycle to be repeated for a while.

<jasonjgw> There may be subsequent revisions of the XAUR.

<joconnor> ACTION: Josh to ping Janina to ping Immersive Web group on XAUR feedback

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2267 - Ping janina to ping immersive web group on xaur feedback [on Joshue O Connor - due 2020-11-25].

<jasonjgw> Janina: notes the opportunity to to create shortcuts for common commands/utterances.

Media synchronization.

steve: continue to read
... added some subheadings so we can reference out
... believe lip reading is in good shape
... started on caption sync
... and added heading on sign lang sync
... two standards on lip reading; high def TV has tightest standard
... because they can
... 15-45 ms envelope
... broader question is where does the a11y concern begin
... early audio over 20 ms, below isn't percievable
... frame rate matters 25 fps means 40 ms per frame
... audio early by >40ms is a problem
... having video come earlier is easier
... 160ms early is where a11y takes a hit in video
... will also be percievable by all viewers, not just lip readers

<joconnor> JOC: Really helpful

<SteveNoble> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/wiki/Media_Synchronization_Requirements

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Josh to ping Janina to ping Immersive Web group on XAUR feedback

Summary of Resolutions

  1. RQTF recommends APA publish the RAUR at https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/2020-nov-raur-publication/raur/index.html as a W3C Note.
[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/11/18 15:03:29 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/http://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/Sept2020_xaur_production/xaur/index.html#c-change-log//
Default Present: jasonjgw, janina, present, JPaton, SteveNoble, joconnor
Present: jasonjgw janina present JPaton SteveNoble joconnor
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Found Date: 18 Nov 2020
People with action items: josh

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]