Silver Task Force & Community Group

28 Jul 2020


jeanne, Chuck, JakeAbma, Fazio, Francis_Storr, Crispy, Makoto, CharlesHall, JF, sajkaj, KimD, todd, ChrisLoiselle, (but, on, sketchy, backup, internet), Rachael, Mike_Crabb, bruce_bailey, Jan
kirkwood, Shawn
Shawn, jeanne


<jeanne> scribe: Crispy

Reminder and invitation for Silver members to attend the AGWG call about Conformance

Chuck: review of conformance models

<CharlesHall> Jeanne, we have a new participant on the call, if there time for an introduction

Guest member last week (Judy)

Start call with Rachael's presentation

DF - Presentation next week at regular meeting time

JS - If there is discussion, important to have Silver ppl speaking up and explaining any Group decision

CA - Agrees it would definitely be helpful. JS has been great, but others chiming in would be really good.

<Fazio> very good idea

MC - Starting a decisions page is in process, will be complete not far from now

MC - XR group had meeting yesterday, collaboration worked well

JS - AGWG meeting after this meeting

<jeanne> https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_ag

Content subgroups checkin

JS - Need an idea of what we can put in to Github

<CharlesHall> Functional Needs update: comments on the Master List are trickling in from Silver and outside communities.

JS - Starting with Visual Contrast

CL - Progressing, looking at Font weight and Font size relating to visual contrast. Will provide info to JS once ready, where they are and where they are going with things. 3 week turnaround should be publishable.

JS - Have you worked on functional needs and functional outcomes?

JS - Func. outcomes most helpful. Groups are asking for these the most.

<Mike_Crabb> Github homepage: https://w3c.github.io/silver/subgroups/xr/captioning/index.html

<Mike_Crabb> Definition of captioning: https://w3c.github.io/silver/subgroups/xr/captioning/what-is-captioning.html

MC - XR Github homepage (link provided) - definition of captioning already on github

<Mike_Crabb> User Needs: https://w3c.github.io/silver/subgroups/xr/captioning/xr-captioning-user-needs.html

<Mike_Crabb> Functional Outcomes: https://w3c.github.io/silver/subgroups/xr/captioning/functional-outcomes.html

<Mike_Crabb> CC Process: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gfYAiV2Z-FA_kEHYlLV32J8ClNEGPxRgSIohu3gUHEA/edit#heading=h.rbn6yq3f7i4b

User Needs looked at. Functional Outcomes available at link above also.

MC - hoping to write tests in next week or two, collaboration with XR Access.

MC - happy to speak with anyone and hear their thoughts. Any feedback happily received.

MC - reading through Functional Outcomes

DF - Mixed reality a little tricky, can captioning be misconstrued with other elements. is AI involvement required?

MC - Identifying sounds and where they come from may require AI involvement further down the timeline.

DF - Concerned it may be overlooked

SBH - Language translation captioning concerns

MC - Might be covered in 2.1, definitely to be looked at in future work.

SBH - specific to training content

SBH - Additional guidance would be useful :-)

JS - Whats the a11y angle?

SBH - Being able to select alternative languages

Janina - Taking advantage of supported infrastructure of HTML that makes it possible to do that.

<SBH> didn't mean to go down a rabbit hole, just something I am struggling with

DF - Example of a11y perspective - better comprehension in native language

DF - Best to make it available in the first place

MC - to bring it up in the XR group

<sajkaj> Personal note, I lived what David is talking about, but the other way around. I was sent to Kindergarden at the age of 3 because the school district wanted me to be socialized in English--not my family's language.

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask if this is achievable today?

JS - Second screen is adaptation for Deafblind users

<bruce_bailey> routing to braille display is one use of second screen, but not the ONLY use case

JF - Do we have the technology to deliver on this today

MC - Technically yes. in the real world...wait and see

<CharlesHall> and second screen may be enabled through https://www.w3.org/TR/webxr/

<Jan> I just lost audio

<JF> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/WCAG_2.2_Success_criterion_acceptance_requirements

MC - It will need to testable otherwise it would be include just to be included

<ChrisLoiselle> +1 to JF to referencing that

Next: Alt Text

Makoto - To reveiw the latest version of content creation document to see if any gaps

Makoto - Possibly needs a meeting with JS

JS - happy to meet

Makoto - Link of sub group wiki

<Makoto> http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/MakotoUeki/silver/blob/5a9e34fd89db6adc0d50f61a8cc278161e51f379/guidelines/explainers/AltText.html

Makoto - almost same as shared last week

JS - Also interested in groups work on updating 2.1 updates on alt text. PPl are interested in looking at the document. Would be good to include in the first working draft.

JS - clear language - brand new, alt text - unchanged, several changed - contrast

<Chuck> +1 to nomination of David :-)

DF - Question on review of techniques

<Francis_Storr> I believe techniques will be shrinking when all the Flash ones are removed :)

Next - Clear Language

JM - Going through previous material

JM - Going through functional outcomes of the three guidelines

JM - should have something sharable within JS's timeline

JS - Can you send what you have done of survey to get comments in

JS - Thinking about moving it to Github

Next: Headings

JS - SBH agreed to revise and bring knowledge to the headings protoype, JS will share with group and move to Github

SBH - Materials reviewed, starting on it at a deeper level, will have something for JS by 7th

CH - More comments to come from elsewhere

CH - 3 ppl from slack group responded

JS - likes the idea of getting comments from the Slack group

CH - Feedback still coming in, nothing new to add

looking for designer

JS - skipping to item 5 before 4

JS - Dire need for a designer to help, anyone who can recommend someone with strong CSS skills please let JS know

JS - would prefer not to do a public announcement, no budget for this at present, volunteer required

MC - could probably do some mockups for a few weeks time

JS - Maybe look for someone to do photoshop work first?

SBH - reaching out to someone

Crispy - reaching out to someone

Functional Outcomes format

<jeanne> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gfYAiV2Z-FA_kEHYlLV32J8ClNEGPxRgSIohu3gUHEA/edit#heading=h.rbn6yq3f7i4b

<jeanne> Write the Functional Outcomes. You can have multiple functional outcomes, but each outcome should be simple and concise. Functional Outcomes are one sentence written in plain language (or as close as you can get) with two clauses:

<jeanne> The first clause describes the result if the user need is being met.

<jeanne> The second clause describes how it benefits the user.

JS - Would like to pin down what the actual objections are in respect of the Functional Outcomes format

JS - ready for next meeting for those trying to write these

<Zakim> bruce_bailey, you wanted to ask for functional needs list

<jeanne> Functional Needs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eJkgXqbh7dx3uD6XAy8XAANmwfbbVZ5GKb_gbsUdkVs/edit#heading=h.n89ecixaq6rg

BB - would be helpful to have list of 50+ functional needs

BB - two documents ppl might have to go through

<ChrisLoiselle> Bruce, it starts with the heading "Functional Needs (Master List)"

CH - Don't have consensus document on user needs and functional outputs

CH - aligns more to paths and tasks we have been speaking about

CH - definition thats in the content creation document is close, but written in present tense, and specifically in two clauses. Doesn't necessarily confirm that the need was met.

JS - Is this a complete obstacle? come back to this in next meeting

<Fazio> LOL

<CharlesHall> of course grammar helps :)

Janina - Has looked in to this more, ready to discuss in next discussion.

Meeting finished. Reminder: AGWG meeting in 30 minutes

Do I need to do anything else with the notes JS?

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/07/28 14:36:58 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/+1//
Present: jeanne Chuck JakeAbma Fazio Francis_Storr Crispy Makoto CharlesHall JF sajkaj KimD todd ChrisLoiselle (but on sketchy backup internet) Rachael Mike_Crabb bruce_bailey Jan
Regrets: kirkwood Shawn
Found Scribe: Crispy
Inferring ScribeNick: Crispy

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]