Revising W3C Process Community Group

11 Mar 2020


wseltzer, jeff, dsinger, florian, plh


<scribe> scribenick: wseltzer

dsinger: lots of recent activity from Florian
... any other agenda modifications?

<florian> https://w3c.github.io/w3process/issues-20190301

<dsinger> aack je

florian: I have a disposition of comments ^

jeff: [crackle crackle]
... suggest we look at materials for AC

<florian> DoC: https://w3c.github.io/w3process/issues-20190301

<florian> Changes: https://w3c.github.io/w3process/#changes-2019

florian: while doing triage, I noted some issues

<florian> Issues raised this cycle and deferred:

<florian> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3ADeferred+created%3A%3E2019-01-01

<florian> Issues raised *before* this cycle and deferred:

<florian> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3ADeferred+created%3A%3C2019-01-01

<florian> Open issues assigned to P2021:

<florian> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/milestones/Process%202021

<florian> Open issues assigned to P2020:

<florian> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/milestones/Process%202020

<florian> Open issues with no milestone:

<florian> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues?q=is%3Aopen+no%3Amilestone

florian: suggest we look at these lists
... 79, still open reviewing its completion
... 390, fantasai has said she'll update diagrams

<dsinger> : https://github.com/w3c/w3process/milestones/Process%202020

jeff: I think we can now close 79, now that AB has reviewed

florian: registries is 168

dsinger: closing 79

florian: 363 is open pending new Patent Policy
... should close once that lands
... //github.com/w3c/w3process/issues?q=is%3Aopen+no%3Amilestone
... 388, suggestion from Ralph, editorial
... I suggest we address along with feedbck from AC
... mark Process2020

jeff: add the AC review label

dsinger: what's 347?

florian: seems a somewhat duplicate of other horizontal review issues

jeff: I see two separate issues.
... one a comment about making streamlined updates streamlined
... address with AC review
... the other issue, re formalizing HRG seems like a new issue, defer
... probably worth exploring in 2021

dsinger: link to 130, enumerate requirements for wide review

jeff: we can start processing issues as we send for AC review

<dsinger> https://w3c.github.io/w3process/issues-20190301

dsinger: anything we should look at in disposition of comments?

florian: no

jeff: there's a duplicate
... @@ has been moved to the AB list, should be closed

<dsinger> https://w3c.github.io/w3process/#changes-2019

jeff: we need some narrative text

dsinger: anything in the changelog we should review?

florian: could use an editorial pass, reorganization

jeff: the explainer is not P2020 but Everteal
... we need a high-level description
... linking to Everteal explainer and highlighting other matters
... put something on the AB agenda for next week

dsinger: suggest distinguishing editorial and document management from major changes

jeff: suggest adding a bullet about living standards, patent policy implications.
... as-is, it's too understated

[In conjunction with the updated Patent Policy, this Process gathers patent license commitments at Patent Review Draft, a CR snapshot]]

jeff: many sub-bullets
... WDs in /TR; snapshots; patent protection along the way

<dsinger> insert something like “(under the activity known as Living Standards or Evergreen or Everteal”) and also insert “with matching changes to the W3C Patent Policy, particularly to X,Y,Z”

<jeff> Wendy: Bracketed suggestion about PP in minutes

florian: you mentioned explainer. How long?

jeff: look back at letter for Process 2019
... that's about the right length

dsinger: Florian, you got koalie's editorial changes?

florian: yes, purely editorial changes I made, and deferred substantive issues

dsinger: anything else to talk about wrt P2020?
... hearing none, let's move to 2021

<dsinger> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/milestone/6

dsinger: do we intend to do all these things in 2021; what else?

florian: I see registries, and a few other issues

<jeff> Wendy: We should defer #346 to beyond due to lack of experience

<jeff> FR, DS: +1

dsinger: +1 to take the milestone off 346 to deferred

florian: add "deferred"

dsinger: things we should deal with in 2021, not yet in this milestone

<Zakim> jeff, you wanted to discuss streamlining

jeff: I'd like us to do a walkthrough of every section of Process doc, for streamlining
... not controversial changes, but see if there are sentences or paragraphs we can simply drop
... I wouldn't be surprised if we found some new efficiencies to 346
... deal with in 356
... since you're working so well on the process, can you also work on Registries?

dsinger: I've been waiting to finish 2020
... I thought 356 was merely editorial

jeff: that wasn't my interpretation
... some elements of the process I've suggested are unnecessarily complex
... without time pressure, we could look at simplification
... we should be willing to entertain normative changes to the process

dsinger: I added a comment.

wseltzer: in proposing the issue, I anticipated normative changes, e.g. removing descriptions of edge-case handling

florian: in principle, normative simplification of the document seems useful

dsinger: are there additional issues ?

<florian> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/milestone/7

dsinger: 61 items ^
... 324, superseding

<dsinger> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/324#issuecomment-587181848

florian: plausible, though I wouldn't bet on it

jeff: suggest chair send an email saying intention is to focus 2021 on registries, streamlining, and bugfixing
... and we don't plan to take up any of these issues unless someone takes the lead
... to work on one of these issues
... anyone in the CG can identify a burning issue and move it for 2021 consideration

dsinger: I propse 324, 60

florian: I'm worried that some wordings might cause people to rush to add to the list

dsinger: think we should move all the director-free to a distinct milestone

wseltzer: +1 to dsinger

dsinger: we'll get to director-free when we decide to go dir-free
... take them off the "deferred" milestone
... and if there are some that should go earlier, feel free to identify them
... action item is for the chair to send an email with reference to @@

florian: I've removed the milestone from dir-free

dsinger: thanks, 37 is more manageable

next meeting

dsinger: March 26?
... leave it on the calendar
... AOB?

jeff: encourage you to advise people this is a bugfix+registries release
... for 2021 issues

dsinger: I'm asking people to look at issues 2021, deferred

jeff: with the framing this is bugfix+registries

dsinger: sure

jeff: maybe we can bugfix 60


Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/03/11 14:58:41 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Draft/Draft, a CR snapshot]/
Succeeded: s/mileston/milestone/
Succeeded: s/peopel/people/
Present: wseltzer jeff dsinger florian plh
Regrets: tzviya
Found ScribeNick: wseltzer
Inferring Scribes: wseltzer

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]