Silver Community Group Teleconference

26 Nov 2019


jeanne, Lauriat, janina, CharlesHall, KimD, johnkirkwood
Shawn, jeanne
jeanne, janina


<Lauriat> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Silver Community Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 26 November 2019

<jeanne> scribe: jeanne

AG WG FPWD Preview discussion

Shawn: We are presenting a preview of FPWD to AGWG
... they will start with a charter discussion
... so we want to get clarity of what they expect
... The timeline has been changed to February
... which is selected to give time for deciding the final name for Silver and before CSUN.
... So what do we want from the AGWG call?
... how many guidelines by February?
... knowing that December is largely shot
... maybe we want more guidelines from WCAG
... I want something around the conformance model
... Maybe with a link to current work.

<janina> scribe: janina

jeanne: AG Chairs mostly want to see some guidelines that are fully worked through--all the pieces so that people can see how it all works together

shawn: Should probably also check plain language experts' availability

jeanne: will take as action

shawn: Wonders whether the current doc is best available for AG discussion

jeanne: I'm 4 commits behind Master, hmmm, something ...
... Not enough time before the meeting to fix that

shawn: Even with Michael's changes expect overall structure is not that different

jeanne: probably not

<bruce_bailey> +1

<jeanne> scribe: jeanne

Makoto: We had a discussion on alt text and the approach we should take. The alt text team has been taking the same approach as Clear Words and Color Contrast. But alt text doesn't need updates. I think we should move alt text directly to Silver structure by copy-paste.
... is there an update on that?

<janina> jeanne: Suggests EO work for content copying

Jeanne: I think that you have thoroughly discussed user needs
... link to the Techniques
... put in a note saying you are working on additional tests
... then start working on the Part 4 Explainer

Makoto: The subgroup needs clarity from the Task Force for direction

<janina> jeanne: Offers to join the telecon and provide guidance

Shawn: We need help with writing tests, writing top level guidance
... it would be helpful to give more people in AGWG experience writing succinct plain language guidelines
... I'm good at writing tests and methods, but I'm not succinct and don't think I would be good at that

Jeanne: update on conformance that isn't in the document yet.

<janina> jeanne: I had an epiphany about conformance and believe I see how it can all fit

<janina> jeanne: Including point system weighted by quality of the evidence, not by disability

<bruce_bailey> +1 agree, weight by evidence quality over disability types sounds great!

<Zakim> Makoto, you wanted to confirm any update on the approach alt text team should take.

Activity-based groups

Shawn: I wanted to continue the discussion on activity based groups
... I would not be good at writing user needs, but I am good at writing methods.
... so I think that having a pool of participants that are good at writing:
... user needs
... tests & methods
... explanations
... plain language
... with one person to shepherd the guideline through

<CharlesHall> not opposed to idea. and +1 on continuity / project management. however, i am not an expert in any of those but am more of a generalist across them all.

Shawn: how do we get started
... [reads Charles' comment] . That's fine to be a generalist.
... I want to identify pools of people who would want to be involved in what stages.

<Zakim> bruce_bailey, you wanted to ask for wiki page sign up

Bruce: Put up a page on the wiki and have people sign up in the category

+1. Especially if we pick up some people who don't attend meetings

<KimD> +1

<bruce_bailey> +1 that it works for current stage of development

<janina> jeanne: Believe it will help Alt Text. I want to coordinate with them about their output.

<CharlesHall> would prefer to establish draft before inviting others to it

<janina> jeanne: Tricky part probably which techniques to support, which to deprecate

<Andy> Yes yello

<janina> jeanne: Color contrast folks where enthusiastic about bringing in folks with testing expertise

<janina> jeanne: People with experience in writing test statements for standards documents

<janina> andy: Have thoughts about how to work that in, and soon sounds good

<janina> shawn: Let's get that page created ... with heading for each skill set then post on list

<Zakim> bruce_bailey, you wanted to ask if that page will should leads on content areas?

Bruce: It would be helpful to list the lead of each of the guidelines we are working on. Put my name for Audio Description

<janina> bruce; Suggest including the lead for each SC on line

Bruce: people could then indicate what they want to work with

<janina> bruce: maybe also for user needs so we can know via page who to reach out to

<janina> shawn: agrees

Bruce: also list a lead for the process action leads: user needs, testing, methods, explainer, top level guideline

<janina> bruce: this should also expose where we need more folks

<bruce_bailey> +1 "facilitator through the entire process"

Shawn: I want to track the status of the project in Github. Janina is good at that, and has volunteered to help educate us.

<bruce_bailey> Janina voluteers to help coach anyone who want to run GitHub from command line

Janina: GitHub SCM gives a quick link into the help text.


<Lauriat> Thank you!

<CharlesHall> https://git-scm.com/doc

<bruce_bailey> Janina reminds us that GIT is older and much bigger than GitHub

<bruce_bailey> Janina outlines way to generate DIFF for screen readers users

<bruce_bailey> Janina notes that command line from Windows now works well with NVDA

W3C DIFF generator - graphical interface http://services.w3.org/htmldiff

Creating an on-ramp for new participants?

jeanne: talk about it next week

<Lauriat> RSSAgent, make minutes

No meeting on Friday

No meeting on Friday 29 November do to US holidays

<Lauriat> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/11/26 15:30:24 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/shawn/jeanne/
Succeeded: s/would be good at hthat/would be good at that/
Succeeded: s/obsolete/deprecate/
Succeeded: s/Github-hcm (?)/GitHub SCM/
Default Present: jeanne, Lauriat, janina, CharlesHall, KimD, johnkirkwood
Present: jeanne Lauriat janina CharlesHall KimD johnkirkwood
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Scribes: jeanne, janina
ScribeNicks: jeanne, janina
Found Date: 26 Nov 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]