Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

13 Nov 2019


jasonjgw, Joshue108_, scott_h, SteveNoble, janina, Judy


XR and immersive Web accessibility/inclusion - findings from the workshop.

<Joshue108_> Scribenick: Joshue108

<Joshue108_> JW: In light of the Seattle workshop last week..

<Joshue108_> We can say the workshop addressed and touched upon a range of issues in this space.

<Joshue108_> Including the state of current Web Standards - various related accessibility requirements..

<Joshue108_> Formal semantically rich markup etc in glTF and markup on Webpages etc.

<Joshue108_> Focussed on that..

<Joshue108_> Some captions issues and sign language processing were covered.

<Joshue108_> In addition to audio processing oportunities in immersive environs.

<Joshue108_> Also we had a good session on the role of AT in future XR.

<Joshue108_> A good session of other discussions happened also - there will be some reporting created or minutes, may be made available etc.

<Joshue108_> Josh, also had some ideas in new XAUR use cases etc

<Joshue108_> Anything else?

<Joshue108_> JB: At W3 workshop there is a standard follow up a la report.

<Joshue108_> There may also be minutes, but there was captioning also.

<Joshue108_> No verbatum, but there are over a dozen relevant task force and community group follow up.

<Joshue108_> We will come up with some kind of mapping to help participants.

<Joshue108_> Am getting requests for more info.

<Joshue108_> I also meant to say, the input possibilities for creating various alternate input mechanisms, a la WebXR were also mentioned.

<Joshue108_> Intersections with various TFs and CGs etc.

<Joshue108_> Hope that helps.

<Joshue108_> SH: You mentioned discussion on captioning?

<Joshue108_> Care to share more?

<Joshue108_> JW: There is a CG working on captions in this space.

<Joshue108_> Issues around where the speaker is out of the FOV.

<Joshue108_> Interesting that this work is being discussed.

<Joshue108_> JB: I'm team contact to that group - so was also at the XR Access Symposium in July NYC.

<Joshue108_> There were many diff topics and captions in Immersive Space.

<Joshue108_> Christoper @@

<Joshue108_> It didn't just talk about positioning, but any XR/AR issues - interesting group.

<Joshue108_> The timed text group is also looking at 3D and 2D captions - may be merged.

<Joshue108_> JB: I suggest checking it out, meets every other Weds, resuming in Dec.

<Joshue108_> JW: Valuable area of work. We have spoken about positioning in the past

<Joshue108_> Thanks to Judy for background.

<Joshue108_> The details will come when report arrives.

<Joshue108_> We can discuss some of Joshs issues.

<jasonjgw> Josh: additional user needs emerged from the workshop which have now been added to the XAUR draft.

<jasonjgw> Josh: There is the challenge of finding one's place/context in immersive environments when enlargement is used.

<Joshue108_> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Xaur_draft

<jasonjgw> A screen magnification user needs to be able to determine the context of the current view.

<jasonjgw> A second need pertaining to magnification arises from the use of messages/alerts in immersive environments.

<jasonjgw> (How these are to be presented.)

<jasonjgw> A further need relates to resetting of the user's orientation/position. This needs to be compatible with the user's AT, and therefore device-independent.

<jasonjgw> Josh notes that users may lose track of time in these environments; there could be time limits with alerts issued to the user.

<jasonjgw> Josh discusses the application of the "reflow" success criterion of WCAG 2.1 in immersive Web contexts.

<Joshue108_> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Xaur_draft#Immersive_Environments_and_Experiences

<Joshue108_> JW: Any comments?

<Joshue108_> JW: It would be useful if we could review the text for these?

<Joshue108_> Bring it back to next weeks meeting?

<Joshue108_> JOC: Sounds good.

<Joshue108_> JW: We can discuss etc and put it back.

<Joshue108_> JB: There was a lot of potential follow of from this, so I suggest we be deliberate about which ones we follow up on.

<Joshue108_> Josh's suggestion to capture discussion etc is good.

<Joshue108_> I've a few comments and questions around follow up.

<Joshue108_> On some lunch table discussion - wow, that XAUR info is good - great resource etc, people are asking if these are requirements?

<Joshue108_> This was someone new, and they had no context around the word 'requirements'.

<Joshue108_> So we need to be careful that requirements relate to user needs and not 'requirements' for people to conform to.

<Joshue108_> JB: Also in trying to point people to resources etc, and looking at WAI WG and TF pages, I found that pointing people to TF landing page isn't good.

<Joshue108_> They don't know what to look for.

<Joshue108_> Am concerned that the TF homepage needs work.

<Joshue108_> Needs to be updated, currently this content is unclear.

<Joshue108_> Jason, Janina - sorry to raise this again - we could be missing opportunities for engagement.

<Joshue108_> Is this on the list to get updated? Whats the status?

<Joshue108_> JW: Thnx for the reminder. Yes it is on the list.

<Joshue108_> It may need W3C staff to make the changes.

<Joshue108_> The main wiki page gets updated regularily.

<Joshue108_> Maybe not ideal landing spot.

<Joshue108_> JB: You have access to workplan page?

<Joshue108_> JW: I'd need to find out.

<Joshue108_> If not on wiki or GH i don't know how to modify it.

<Joshue108_> JOC: Happy to help Judy with that.

<Joshue108_> JW: If ok with Janina - Josh and I can work out some changes.. maybe Judy can review.

<Joshue108_> JB: If you can do that, thats great.

<jasonjgw> Josh: suggests we'll need to move much of our material to GitHub to facilitate opening of comments/issues.

<jasonjgw> Josh notes interest from workshop participants in submitting comments.

<jasonjgw> Josh: affirms the desirability of collaboration regarding use of GitHub in this context.

<jasonjgw> Josh notes the value and significance of issue tracking to broader participation in development.

<jasonjgw> Josh emphasizes the need to be able to read documents and comment effectively.

<jasonjgw> Josh's comments are particularly pertinent to people who are not part of the process and who wish to participate by providing comments on drafts.

<jasonjgw> Josh is interested in mirroring content across multiple channels, and wishes to see a path to better engagement for receiving feedback on work in progress.

<Judy> [JB: notes that some people who want to contribute come from non-developer backgrounds and want alternative input channels to Github]

<Judy> [JB: did not object to multi-channel input]

<jasonjgw> Josh: notes that coordination is occurring regarding next steps to be taken in response to the workshop.

<jasonjgw> Josh would like to restructure the XAUR document and to focus entirely on user requirements (in the sense of user needs - noting Judy's earlier comments).

<jasonjgw> There is a second document - formerly known as a primer.

<jasonjgw> Josh wishes to focus XAUR on user needs, with other material moved elsewhere - especially the discussion of semantics for describing the immersive environment/objects/interactions.

<jasonjgw> Josh is contemplating an XR semantics page to address these issues separately.

<jasonjgw> The current XAUR draft has been edited accordingly.

<Zakim> janina, you wanted to scope Judy's comments to the web interface and to say +1 to splitting, but be consistent in doc naming

<Joshue108_> JW: I don't remember the into material, but a point of clarification that these are user requirements and not implementation requirements.

<Joshue108_> So how they are satisfied is not addressed here, this is out of scope.

<jasonjgw> Josh: the XAUR draft was initially conceived as an entire framework - user requirements, semantics, etc., whereas the scope is now to be narrowed and should include the kind of clarification of scope that Jason suggested.

<jasonjgw> Josh: XAUR as a prefix to the names of other modules is problematic, as those modules would not be concerned with "user requirements" (i.e., needs).

<jasonjgw> Janina affirms.

<Joshue108_> JOC: I covered e'thing.

<jasonjgw> Josh clarifies: the editing/reorganization across documents is ongoing.

<Joshue108_> JW: Josh is going to trim XAUR doc to just user needs and put other stuff elsewhere.

Real-time communication accessibility - update/discussion.

<jasonjgw> Josh is still working on this and will report progress next week.

<jasonjgw> We note the CAPTCHA Note erratum, endorsed by an APA CfC.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/11/13 15:04:11 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: jasonjgw, Joshue108_, scott_h, SteveNoble, janina, Judy
Present: jasonjgw Joshue108_ scott_h SteveNoble janina Judy
Found ScribeNick: Joshue108
WARNING: No scribe lines found matching ScribeNick pattern: <Joshue108> ...
Inferring Scribes: Joshue108

WARNING: 0 scribe lines found (out of 143 total lines.)
Are you sure you specified a correct ScribeNick?

Found Date: 13 Nov 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]