Revising W3C Process Community Group Teleconference

28 Aug 2019



dsinger, florian, cwilso, wseltzer, jeff


<scribe> scribenick: wseltzer

dsinger: TPAC prep
... agenda-bashing

TPAC presentations

plh: we presented Ever* to AB as joint EG, EB
... my sense is we'll do some of both
... we'll revise slides
... to share at TPAC AC
... I liked fantasai's side-by-side slides

dsinger: deadlines approach!

florian: I think we should not present comparison between altenratives
... but rather, here are a bunch of improvements to the process
... and here are some more

plh: maybe we can meet Friday

jeff: agree with florian and dsinger

plh: I just want to get us to a new process

jeff: conceptually, we're trying to improve process
... collection of proposals for continuous improvement

Process 2020

dsinger: re registries, I updated the wiki

<dsinger> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Registries#Proposed_Process_Text_.E2.80.93_Registries


dsinger: 4 elements
... element, definition, values, values management
... still working out details

[reviewing wiki]

dsinger: we should state general rules for registries, wherever they're published

florian: happy to work with you on it

jeff: third bullet above, Progress on stakeholder check-in

<dsinger> (we have not done stakeholder check-in for Registries, either)

jeff: what do we plan to report to AC?
... could talk with stakeholders at TPAC

plh: don't know where fantasai is on webidl

<dsinger> (David intends to contact all the people who contacted us needing a Registry)

wseltzer: webappsec needs continuous development pre-rec

florian: we don't yet have a /Guide for everblue to explain how the practice works

dsinger: should we hold an unconference session on this subject?
... before the THursday AC?

florian: and now there's elika's Everteal!?
... thinking about the ideal process
... another iteration

<dsinger> (FWIW I think we need a clean, whatwg-like, true Living Process; probably as well as Rec Track improvements)

florian: is it E* 2.0?

<Zakim> dsinger, you wanted to ask about Publication development management

+1 to dsinger's ()

jeff: given time, great that fantasai is thinking about new approaches, but not ripe for discussion at TPAC
... Series of enhancements; continuous development pieces;
... patent policy question

<florian> +1 to jeff

jeff: and even more experimental thinking
... happy for folks to work offline to come to agreement about what the present

<dsinger> +1 to Jeff. Now is not to time to be exploring new ideas we have not had time to discuss

<cwilso> isn't that what's going to happen?

jeff: invite PLH to lead the conversation to unity

<cwilso> +1 to PLH leading to unity.

dsinger: we need to present an accurate consensus unified approach

<dsinger> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Registries#Registry_management_requirements

dsinger: returning to registires
... need to define how you should manage a registry
... e.g. maintains history, track issues
... should we attack the general question?

florian: say "invoke pubrules"

dsinger: this is pre-publication
... can you use github, wiki, to develop
... is it ok if I develop on wiki, scrape and publish to TR
... what about an inaccessible toolchain?
... shouldn't we be specifying the mechanism for registries

wseltzer: +1 to dsinger's https://www.w3.org/wiki/Registries#Registry_management_requirements

florian: why for registries, not generally?

dsinger: should we queue the general question to the AB
... or start with registries

jeff: not obvious we need to answer the question today
... surface at the AC meeting

dsinger: ok

AC, director-free operations

florian: I'm aware I need to make slides for presentation

dsinger: I know I need to respond to mnot's thread re charter preparation

<dsinger> Mnot’s concerns and discussion https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/316

jeff: do the presenters feel we should talk more about Ever* and drop director-free

florian: agree there's not much to update re director-free
... could just add a slide to general process presentation

dsinger: 80 minutes total

<Zakim> wseltzer, you wanted to discuss discussion with TAG

[discussion about meeting with TAG]

Issues, Agenda+

<dsinger> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/262

florian: discontinue as a Note only if you haven't reached rec
... as rec, several distinct statuses
... Ever* needs discontinuation section for things pre-Rec
... wait until we've E*d

plh: both what we say in Proc and how we present
... present as "Retired" in TR

florian: I think we
... need ot update proc with more distinctions

dsinger: I think the bug just describes "discontinued" as "we
... re not working on this any more"
... think this is a question of practice, not process

plh: what are we trying to solve?

<dsinger> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/141

dsinger: 141 in same rewrite?

cwilso: that's fine

Agenda 4,5,6

dsinger: triaging
... milestone2020 not yet landed
... also new issues
... anything people want to discuss here?

<Zakim> dsinger, you wanted to comment on discontinued

jeff: propose that any owner who wants to move a milestone to 2021 should be empowered to do so
... and chair can take any other item
... apart from Ever* and Registries
... and move those beyond Process 2020

[/me will move Wide Review to 2021]

dsinger: go ahead

<dsinger> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/264

dsinger: close 264 in favor of 130
... next meeting Sept. 11


Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/08/28 21:35:36 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/?/!?/
Succeeded: s/the/to/
Succeeded: s/120/80/
Present: dsinger florian cwilso wseltzer jeff
Found ScribeNick: wseltzer
Inferring Scribes: wseltzer
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3process/2019Aug/0007.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 28 Aug 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]