Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

19 Jun 2019


jasonjgw, MichaelC, janina, scott_h, SteveNoble, Joshue, Joshue108
Joshue108, janina


CAPTCHA Note - update and discussion.

<Joshue108> JW: Are we ready with CAPTCHA?

<Joshue108> JS: Yes, we are all ready to ask APA do the CFC.

<Joshue108> Do we need Michaels help with Biblio etc?

<Joshue108> JS: Yes, the entries are not entered correct.

<Joshue108> May be JSON errors

<Joshue108> scribe: Joshue108

JS: Michael would likely find it quickly.

MC: I'll take a look.

JS: You've got the links to refs in the text?

JW: Yes, and they are working. Some data not being reproduced in HTML.

MC: You may have edited directly within the CAPTCHA doc but external library file is loading.

<discussion of JSON edits>

<appreciation for Michaels helpfulness>

JS: Have people seen updates in mail?

We have COGA related text, thanks to Steve.

Other things between Jason and Michael.

We have removed a couple of things..

SH: I did have a look, and my concern is addressed. Good job.

JS: There is a new section 3.5, experimental.
... May go beyond the scope a little but we will see the reaction.

Can be dropped, section 3.4 => conclusion neatly.

JW: We inserted some material that Steve provided that we haven't fully make descisions on.

The material seems solid and we need to know if we add proposed sentence etc.

JS: Steve if you think all is ok? Two I did not pick up.

SN: There were changes made in the mean time but thing we are good.

SH: I was skeptical about the extra COGA stuff but think it adds value. Very good.

JS: Thanks and congrats to you all.

We got little from COGA.

JS: Got a lot from that phone call!

JW: Thank you Steve for your contribution and for noteing you are happy with incorporation.

So can we take it to another public review draft?

There will be some small changes, but can work on this in parallel with public review.

Happy with doing a CFC in APA?

JS: +1

SN: Yes, its comprehensive.

SH: Go for it.

JS: For CFC I'd like a version that points only to the CFC, so we have a stable URI.

MC: Thats fine. I can do that.

<discussion on JSON probs>

<may be merge issue>

MC: Will have a look again.

JW: Anything else we need to resolve?
... Any objections?


SO as far as the TF goes, we are ready to ask APA to go for it.

Over to Janina!

JS: Thanks all for help and support, am proud of this doc.

Great group effort. We've already had an impact, eager to get it out.

SH: I'm encouraged, its in a good place.

JW: I'm also looking at other initiatives, my need small citation changes.

JS: Hoping to publish next week and give July for public review.

<jasonjgw> akim, next item

WebRTC and real-time applications: accessibility-related use cases and requirements.

<janina> scribe: janina

jgw Not just WebRTC, but the entire complex of a11y concerns around web based communications ...

jgw: Task is to collect what we know about the reqs
... We got a good start, including RTT
... Seems IETF had an RFC on incorporating RTT in WebRTC, but uncertain what the status is
... ITU has concept of Total Conversation including audio, video, text

<Joshue108> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5194

<Joshue108> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3351

jo: RFC5194 and jgw: Believe they're a bit old?

jgw: Noting 2015 study included a user study of RTT over RTC

<Zakim> janina, you wanted to contextualize rtt and irc styles

<Joshue108> JS: We in DC have resources to help with this.

<Joshue108> JS: Greg Van would know about this..

<Joshue108> I've other contacts.

<Joshue108> There has to be specific FCC engineering guideance

<Joshue108> https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/real-time-text-improving-accessible-telecommunications

<Joshue108> JS: Thats the key requirement from the deaf community - so internationally ITU is the standard, but we have some specificity in FCC.

<Joshue108> JS: Blind users will not want to see stuff as they type!

<Joshue108> JS: There are competing use cases.

<Joshue108> JOC: What do we need to get WebRTC group to support this?

<Joshue108> JS: Configuration options in WebRTC applications

jo: Believe we already have this in use cases ... looking ...
... text com channels
... jo: So we can present these and get WebRTC' response

jgw: I'm not so concerned by the solutions from IETF and ITU, but their requirements
... Did see disability reqs

[decision is to incorporate by reference where useful]

<Joshue108> MC: Its ok to point to other specs and use cases

Web of Things - accessibility issues.

<Joshue108> ACTION: Josh to review existing use cases and requirements and do gap analysis

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2197 - Review existing use cases and requirements and do gap analysis [on Joshue O Connor - due 2019-06-26].


jo: Workshop in Munich with many players from industry ...
... Industry, smart cities, automotive, Mozilla web Things ...
... It's the usual hard sell -- what are our use cases apart from a11y UX
... So use cases that are applications that benefit pwd
... lights people up
... this is what we need to do

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Wot_usecases

jo: People do seem to get it when we can articulate actual use cases that people can grok

sh: Did some research on this in ed space
... related to smart cities
... should be some overlap

<scott_h> https://www.ncsehe.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2017-IoT-Report-FINAL-20171020_Accessible.pdf

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/Team/wiki/Joconnor/technical_WoT_issues

jo: Looking for conversation on some tech aspects of WoT
... e.g. use of schema
... or relation to semantic aapis
... also blue sky semantic thinking
... also relation to aom

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Josh to review existing use cases and requirements and do gap analysis

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/06/19 14:01:10 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: jasonjgw, MichaelC, janina, scott_h, SteveNoble, Joshue
Present: jasonjgw MichaelC janina scott_h SteveNoble Joshue Joshue108
Found Scribe: Joshue108
Inferring ScribeNick: Joshue108
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Scribes: Joshue108, janina
ScribeNicks: Joshue108, janina

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 19 Jun 2019
People with action items: josh

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]