Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

27 Feb 2019


jasonjgw, janina, scott_h, MichaelC, Judy
judy, Janina


Revision of CAPTCHA Note draft in response to public comments

<jasonjgw> Janina notes the Git branch with substantive changes to the Note. Details of the branch are in the meeting agenda, and details of the changes were posted to the list.

<janina> > https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/wcag-captcha/captcha/index.html

<jasonjgw> There is discussion of Janina's use of the term "payload" in describing the distorted characters used in a visual CAPTCHA.

<janina> > https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/wcag-captcha/captcha/index.html

<jasonjgw> Janina made two principal changes: (1) clarifying that other WCAG requirements apply notwithstanding the exception for text equivalents of the distorted characters. Changes were also made to the ReCAPTCHA discussion (2).

<jasonjgw> Judy suggests phrases such as "CAPTCHA characters" or "symbols" or "content" as the better terms.

<Judy> scribe: judy

jw: i think I agree that "payload" doesn't clarify what we mean
... also need to look back at it in context
... also, need to look at how it's written

<scribe> scribe: Janina

jgw: Important to note that all of wcag is to be followed

<jasonjgw> Janina acknwoeldges that clarifying this text and terminology may take a while.

<jasonjgw> Several participants suggest "contents" would be better.

jgw: Believe some clarification would help
... Also what is said about recaptcha should be carefully written, because it can change

<scott_h> alternatives to Payload - 'deliverables'?

<jasonjgw> Janina suggests that Google will review statements about ReCAPTCHA and may introduce suggestions/changes accordingly.

<jasonjgw> Scott notes his contribution to the list regarding the potential CAPTCHA alternative raised in a public comment, which seems more of a dnail-of-service detection tool than a true CAPTCHA alternative.

<jasonjgw> Judy: notes the history of the document and the choice of title and subtitle.

<jasonjgw> It may be possible and desirable to change the name used in the URI.

<jasonjgw> Michael notes that the document is easily located on search engines.

XR accessibility and captions of 360-degree video

jgw: Not noticed any movement since last discussion
... Notes BBC paper on the topic
... Also some BBC glogging
... Only blog post provides empirical findings
... Following user field of view tended to be preferred
... Noted it could introduce disorientation
... Other strategies documented as well

<jasonjgw> Janina will coordinate with the relevant groups and will complete an action item on that point.

<jasonjgw> Janina doesn't think we've missed other developments on this issue.

<jasonjgw> Janina: notes that the scope of this discussion is likely to expand beyond closed captions.

<jasonjgw> Janina suggests listing at the same level of specificity what other support for accessiblity should be provided in these kinds of XR enviornments. Janina also notes the potential to use these enviornments for representing domain-specific knowledge.

<jasonjgw> Judy: suggests a gap analysis with respect to accessibility. The discussions taking place in RQTF could be useful in this regard, with collaboration from APA. Judy suggests following the checklist developed by APA.

<jasonjgw> Janina agrees on the approach.


<jasonjgw> Judy notes the desirability of having technical working gorups within the W3C referring to the checklist.

<jasonjgw> Janina: a possible addition to the checklist: an "opportunities section" (as Judy aptly calls it) identifying ways in which the technology can solve accessibility problems - providing new ways of making content accessible.

jgw: Rasises question re 5G and suitability for good real time signing

jb: Asks about avatars for signing

Accessibility of domain-specific content and notations

<jasonjgw> Judy: inquires what we can refer to that captures the purpose and intent of this discussion.

<jasonjgw> Judy also inquires about next steps.

<jasonjgw> Janina: the first draft (of a document capturing the issues) wasn't entirely successful Subsequent discussions have helped, but the next draft isn't yet ready for circulation.

<jasonjgw> Janina: we need to be open to multiple representations of the domain-specific content; the epistemic question of how we know what the content is and how it's represented is the central problem as Janina currently characterizes it.

<jasonjgw> Judy suggests clarifying the underlying questions and what are the common issues that connect them. We need to understand the architectural challenge, and the technical strategy.

<jasonjgw> Janina refers to APA GitHub Issue 9, which introduced the problem. Janina's draft is turning into a series of questions that suggest an approach.

<jasonjgw> In the interium, reference will be made to Issue 9.

<jasonjgw> Janina will work on a landing page next week to help to focus and stimulate discussion.

<jasonjgw> Janina: knowledge domain is concerned with how to identify that, for example, some content is about chemistry, but not so much about how to achieve good chemistry diagram accessibility - the latter is detailed work for each area of domain-specific knowledge.

<jasonjgw> Janina: once we have a basic framework in place and start to apply it in several areas, we'll have a basis for applying it further to additional domains.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/02/27 15:02:53 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: jasonjgw, janina, scott_h, MichaelC, Judy
Present: jasonjgw janina scott_h MichaelC Judy
Found Scribe: judy
Inferring ScribeNick: Judy
Found Scribe: Janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Scribes: judy, Janina
ScribeNicks: Judy, janina
Found Date: 27 Feb 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]