Silver Community Group Teleconference

18 Jan 2019


KimD, AngelaAccessForAll, LuisG, Lauriat, JF, Charles, cyborg, jeanne
jeanne, Shawn


Jeanne: If you're intending to go to the CSUN face-to-face meeting, make sure and let us know

attending CSUN Silver F2F meeting?

Charles: I will likely not be there

Jeanne: We'll have remote access if you want to sign in for part of the day

consolidating the prototypes - plain language

Jeanne: On Tuesday, we started working on consolidating prototypes.

<jeanne> https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/PlainLanguage2/SectionHeading.html

Jeanne: here's the plain language prototype
... we had been talking about the tabs
... we agreed on the tabs content. We were discussing whether to add a Miscellaneous tab
... and maybe splitting the Design tab

<jeanne> https://mikecrabb.github.io/silver_taggingSystemDemo/guidelines.html

Jeanne: let's move on to how we want to integrate this into the information architecture prototype
... here's the Info Architecture prototype
... what we have in Plain Language Prototype is a detail page for an individual guideline
... the tabs aren't the primary navigation because there is a higher level navigation related to all the guidelines

<Charles> repost the plain language link?

<jeanne> https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/PlainLanguage2/SectionHeading.html

Jeanne: the first section in the Get Started tab (inside the box) would be the guideline
... each guideline would have methods, you can get to them from the details page
... any questions? or should we continue where we left off on Friday?
... Okay, we were discussing subdividing the tabs a little more
... we talked about how complex the tabs should be
... and breaking down some of the tabs by role
... we looked at work done by Education and Outreach; they have a list of accessibility roles. Were wondering if that would fit into this architecture
... I think we stopped at "it would be helpful to link to those, but might be too much detail for these pages"
... I think the next step is to look at the information architecture prototype and see how we can move the plain language prototype into that
... I would start with drilling down the architecture prototype into looking into the guidelines so you see the page with the checkboxes for filtering methods and one for "check all"
... I would move that whole tagging bit to the guideline list and then have the guideline box to fit the page horizontally and put the plain language tab there

KimD: I agree, the tagging needs to be at a much higher level

Lauriat: That makes sense

Jeanne: I'll make a list of changes so we can discuss some of the changes with him
... think we'll need tagging for the methods? especially if we get lots of methods

Lauriat: Maybe, the Methods were how we were going to have things tabbed, but it would also be for filtering what you're looking at..like by filtering methods that apply to that technology

<cyborg> sorry just joined

Howdy: )

<KimD> https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/PlainLanguage2/SectionHeading.html

<KimD> https://mikecrabb.github.io/silver_taggingSystemDemo/guidelines.html

<cyborg> if there are links I need to see today, please repost if possible

<cyborg> oh great, looks like you already are

Lauriat: I think I'd start merging them by starting at the data level and plug in the plain language information into the database, then we could play with how we render things separately

Jeanne: How granular should we make it?


scribe: for breaking up the data
... if someone filters by "design" do we only show them tabs that have design?
... pretty sure we want to break up the title, short descriptions, and long descriptions, but how much?

Lauriat: Let's err on the side of not breaking things up. We're going to have enough work getting the content into the architecture
... then we could break it up later
... it's hard to tell what would make sense since it's all fake data right now

JF: +1 to leaving our options open
... when it comes to techniques, should we be thinking of a tagging library. have we thought about that?
... I'm thinking WCAG is applicable to more than just Webpages. It would seem we'd want tags for things like "desktop web" "mobile web" etc.
... and leave the possibility of additional tags
... even though we don't have data to flesh that out, I think collectively it would be non-controversial to have that level of grouping

Lauriat: I'm looking for the example we wrote up at TPAC, it was doing something like that. We took language of page and broke it out..
... into overall guidance and different methods
... here's a link

<Lauriat> Language of environment: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18JyGF-AK8Qgq7DPyVlDYmxoj6814rORxuCf0l0oSb7U/edit

Lauriat: the prototype itself was how to write methods starting with test, but a key thing we have in here. each method is tied to specific technology
... I think for me, it's mostly a question of how do we start plugging plain language stuff into the database Mike Crabb has set up
... or should we start with documents like this one and start copying things into documents and work with Mike to get things into the database

Jeanne: I think he built an interface for us to easily put stuff into the database

Angela: Looks like we have Section Headings, Name Role Value...
... sensory characteristics, pause stop hide
... so we have a few. We could tweak these to make them consistent

Jeanne: Or just cut/paste things into their appropriate places since we're not writing the official content yet

Lauriat: +1 on keeping it easy

Cyborg: Does the education team have material we could put into the prototype

Jeanne: I think there's some. I think Headings was one
... and I forget the others
... in the plain language prototype in the design tab, there's a link to the video on clear layout and design. in develop tab there is a link to the tutorial on headings they did
... they were very excited to share their work with us at the TPAC meeting
... they also wanted to start making lists of suggestions for them
... we're not there yet, but at some point, we should start thinking about that...after CSUN
... what are some of the videos we're going to want

Cyborg: Does that require an architecture aspect as well?

Jeanne: yup
... It doesn't seem like Mike has built the input for us

Lauriat: Let's just start a folder in drive and put content in there

Jeanne: I put the interface for content on my list for Mike

Lauriat: How do we want to divide up the work?
... in the drive folder, for a translation of an existing guideline into plain language, put the document in there with the name of the guideline
... so people can see it exists or in progress

Jeanne: We should probably create a "combined prototype" folder

<jeanne> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tGB1-m5QcrLcbrFB4OuVKiUh8I709Qca

Jeanne: here's the combined prototype folder
... I'll create another called "mockup content" if you want to work on something, create it in there
... anything we already have done we can put that in there too
... Anything else on this?

Lauriat: I think we have a clear path forward

Jeanne: By CSUN, we need the overall structure
... after CSUN, we need to start writing content
... anything up until CSUN is just a mock up ...after that, we get down to business and actually start writing this thing

Method detail mockup

Jeanne: one part we haven't worked on yet is what the detail page of a method would look like. that's where we start looping in the conformance and that work

<jeanne> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pyDEt4HhXFCI_IH7H5Uzj0renEuRJlX7yHhIeKUSrtc/edit

Jeanne: What do we want in it?

Lauriat: Method name, short description, long description, examples, tests, and I think the test/examples are external since they could span multiple methods
... associated tags...I think that's all we had for the methods prototype for language of page

Cyborg: I would add tutorial, like videos or other external tools. And what technology it applies to

Jeanne: Probably don't want to repeat the tutorial if it's already in the guideline

Lauriat: Tutorials probably make more sense at the method level, but we'll see as we write information. I think tech is covered by the associated tags
... we may want to treat technology a little more special than other tags

Jeanne: The points that it's worth?

LuisG: Are they behind the scenes?

Jeanne: The calculation is behind the scenes. People will want to know the points values.
... they'll be there to incentivize making things more accessible
... someone want to take this list and turn it into a rough design?

Cyborg: How do this merge with other tabs?

Jeanne: I think of it like an accordion, but it might be a little too much. we might need a different way of managing it

Lauriat: I'm fine not designing the interactions, etc. but instead the information architecture of how things fit together
... we can look at how we would present this after that. we'll likely iterate on that for a bit as well
... we have the method details we're talking about here. but for plain language prototype, we have other tabs and within those we have different sections.

<jeanne> https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/PlainLanguage2/SectionHeading.html

Jeanne: If you go back to the plain language prototype and look at develop tab...each tab has a list of methods. you'd click on that and it would open somehow
... that would give you all the information we were just brainstorming for the name, short desc, long desc, etc.

Cyborg: so is this a nested hierarchy, you would go into the plain language prototype...you would go to guidance, you go to dev tab see possible methods, choose one, go into it and then get in depth look at the method?

Jeanne: that would be a way of doing it, but we'd like people to be able to go through the methods as well
... it's a many-to-many relationship for the guidelines and methods

Lauriat: Would help if we could talk through the information architecture merging with a real example...could we do that with language of page?

Jeanne: Getting real examples of how to do some user testing it would be very helpful to have some written up "this is how you would test this"
... for usability or testing with people with disabilities, etc.

Cyborg: The idea would be...is it possible to write a method for a particular user test that could be used for different guidance or does it need to be specific to the guidance? Would it fit as a method within the design tab?

Charles: A method of testing can be described independently of the thing being tested.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/01/18 20:03:48 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: KimD AngelaAccessForAll LuisG Lauriat JF Charles cyborg jeanne
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: LuisG
Inferring Scribes: LuisG
Found Date: 18 Jan 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]