WAI Coordination Call Teleconference

16 Jan 2019


Joanmarie_Diggs, judy, Jemma, janina, Brent, jeanne, CharlesL, MichaelC, tzviya, Katie_Haritos-Shea
Jemma, tzviya


<Judy> meeting: WAI Coordination Call

<Judy> scribe: Jemma

Scribe, rrsagent, agenda, next meeting date

next meeting day will be two weeks out from now.

next meeting will be Jan 30

charles, janina will be on plane

<Judy> advance regrets for next time from Janina, Charles

will miss the meeting

<Brent> Sharron should be able to attend from EOWG


<Judy> agenda order is 7, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Workshop in Berlin -- candidate

<Judy> https://www.w3.org/Data/events/data-ws-2019/cfp.html

<Judy> jb: question is whether we do indeed someone there?

<Judy> clp: i'll check, they might be interested anyway

<CharlesL> https://www.w3.org/Data/events/data-ws-2019/

michale: what kind of workshop is this?

judy: we may not need someone to cover the workshop

charles: is it about submitting the paper or

<Judy> michael: does not look relevant for accessibility

clp: I will tell my colleague not to worry about attending..

Upcoming announcements & publications

michael: ARIA APG will be published

<Judy> janina: upcoming draft will be wide review, penultimate

<Brent> No announcements or publications in the next months for EO

tzviya: we don't have any, but update the milestone and send an email to the group.

main shift is narrowing scope of Web Publications to focus on metadata and manifest, so called manifest specificaiton on audio books.

judy: please send the email once it is done.

CSUN planning, again

judy: jeanne, your group is concerning about ..

brent: pearson will give support for EOWG

<scribe> scribe: tzviya

<scribe> scribenick: tzviya

<Judy> jb: I owe you details still

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: I didn't know you had the option of covering it directly

<Judy> bb: could cover it directly

User requirements for video post-processing (e.g. flash mitigation and color daltonization), getting our documents in sync

JB: There are a few types of accessibility accomodations for dynamic graphics, such as animated gifs
... that we want to ensure support for
... One example is flashing, which is potentially seizure inducing, potential to reduce it, but we want to make sure that W3C standards support it.

<Ryladog> Is that first one the reduced-motion CSS thing?

JB: Another example is color daltonization, which shifts color palette which makes colors perceivable to those with different types of color-blindness.
... Not sure if this is CSS, must look into.

<Ryladog> reduced-motion CSS thing id for vestibular disorders

JB: i have been looking into the specs, and I need to follow up as well with what our guidelines offer.
... Our guidelines might need to be updated to include this information.
... MAUR (Media Accessibility User Requirements) is from APA, and neeeds to be updated.
... If we are asking colleagues in media to make sure that they are supporting the right material, we need to make sure our documentation is up to date.
... I think this is mostly an APA task for MAUR, but it might affect content, could affect audio as well

<CharlesL> Thinking possibly maybe personalization? just a thought

KHS: I think APA is the right place. Probably some additional things in CSS specs that would be helpful as well.

JB: The vestibular thing in CSS - is that included in FAST, framework for accessible specification of technology?

MC: I'm not sure if vestibular is included in FAST

JB: Janina, if overall coordination and synchronization is mainly under APA, would it be helpful for me to come to an APA meeting?

<Ryladog> I can drop in some info if you like on vestibular and reduced-motion CSS

JS: I took a look at MAUR with Jason. I think that there are not too many additional requirements. We just need to list them.

JB: APA might also want to file issues on other groups
... I am going to assuming APA ownership of MAUR

JS: I am going to see how we can update MAUR to include these issues
... We have the concepts well in place for captioned content, and we just need to adapt for bitmapped content.

JB: Jean, this seems like the kind of thing that seems like it would be relevant for Silver.
... Do you think that UUAG has info like this?

Jeanne: Yes for silver, and I think UUAG has some information. I'll provide links

JB: It sounds like JS and I should talk about how to update MAUR.

JS: I'd rather do it by phone

RQTF update

JS: RQTF has been looking at the Captcha rewrite
... we'll see how it does in wide review. We are shifting to attempt to enumerate what is needed for knowledge domain (especially math) markup.
... The idea is to look through textbooks and understand what they try teach and understanding navigational strategies.

<Ryladog> Inner ear disorders overload the brain, making it hard to think, speak, or read. People with inner ear disorders appear drunk when they walk or slur their speech.


Brent: I've got a new hire from U of Kentucky. He is an expert on math speech rules
... I would like to get him involved in RQTF and math pronounciation.

JB: Irfan is contact for pronunciation TF

<Ryladog> - Vestibular disorders affect more Americans than type II diabetes, asthma, fibromyalgia and celiac disease combined. - 35% of adults 40 years + have had some form of vestibular dysfunction. - Vertigo from a vestibular problem accounts for 1/3 of all dizziness and vertigo symptoms reported to dictors. - 80% of people with vertigo have an inner ear disorder. - Dizziness is a common symptom affecting 30% of people over 65. - The body uses vision, sense-of-[CUT]

TS: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/313
... TAG is reviewing MathML as well.

<Ryladog> Animation caused by user interaction: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Animation_caused_by_user_interaction

<Ryladog> [mediaqueries] Media Feature: "reduce motion" user setting #442: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/442

JB: I want to make sure that we are active in discussion to ensure that communications with others in W3C are active.

MC: People are joining ARIA with express interest in math.

<Judy> s/color blindness/atypical color perception (aka color blindness)/

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/01/16 20:24:37 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/plaine/plane/
Succeeded: s/form/from/
Succeeded: s/may need/may not need/
Succeeded: s/something? I will check about it/clp: I will tell my colleague not to worry about attending./
Succeeded: s/will publish/will be published/
Succeeded: s/jb: please send info to wai cc as well, if you'd like us to know -- thx//
Succeeded: s/narrowing the scope on meta data/narrowing scope of Web Publications to focus on metadata and manifest/
Succeeded: s/MAUR is from @@/ MAUR (Media Accessibility User Requirements) is from APA/
Succeeded: s/@@/FAST, framework for accessible specification of technology/
FAILED: s/color blindness/atypical color perception (aka color blindness)/
Present: Joanmarie_Diggs judy Jemma janina Brent jeanne CharlesL MichaelC tzviya Katie_Haritos-Shea
Found Scribe: Jemma
Inferring ScribeNick: jemma
WARNING: No scribe lines found matching previous ScribeNick pattern: <tzviya> ...
Found Scribe: tzviya
Inferring ScribeNick: tzviya
Found ScribeNick: tzviya
Scribes: Jemma, tzviya
ScribeNicks: tzviya, jemma
Found Date: 16 Jan 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]