Data Privacy Vocabularies and Controls Community Group Teleconference

20 Nov 2018


Rigo, Eva, Elmar, Harsh, Ramisa, Henrik, Uros


<scribe> scribe: harsh

(going through open actions)

<Eva__ULD_> Rigo chairs call atm

rigo: IEEE also working on open vocabularies, are you aware of that?

henrik: yes, can look into it

rigo: Henrik, can you introduce you to some of this work going on in IEEE?

henrik: Yes, I can do that.

<rigo> ACTION: Hendrik to introduce IEEE privacy work to one of the next DPVCG meetings

<trackbot> Error finding 'Hendrik'. You can review and register nicknames at <https://www.w3.org/community/dpvcg/track/users>.

Eva__ULD_: I sent an email earlier today with discussion on legitimation of data processing (in relation to ACTION-32)

rigo: I think we should spend some time on it (summarise elements of consent).

elmar: I think there is some progress. We had a meeting on that (locally) with Niklas, and with Sabrina from SPECIAL, to discuss their categorisation. We encounter some general conceptual issues trying to formulate extensions of SPECIAL vocabulary.
... This is something we will be working on in the Vienna meeting.

<Eva__ULD_> How do I raise hand here again?

rigo: What categories are you considering? We have data types in P3P (from Firefly, bought by Microsoft), which had a perfect type of v-card. Depends on what categories you are looking for. What type of data you have.

To get on queue, you can use plus (sign) q

<Eva__ULD_> ah thanks

<Eva__ULD_> +q

rigo: I think in the PrimeLab project, we did some categorisation project. But I don't think we went anything beyond what P3P did, which was pretty complete. So you get the data, and it already would be in the categories.

<Eva__ULD_> do we stick to a queue at all? :D

elmar: We started from the user perspective. You can go bottom-up or bottom-down to come up with a comprehensive categories that could be interesting. There are some different conceptualisations, some are centered around domains such as health, some are legal, some are anonymised or derived (technical in that sense), some are focused on origin (physical activity, etc.)
... There seem to be a lot of perspectives.

rigo: There can be an infinite number of perspectives. There is also if data can be sensitive or not. We have finite number of data, but infinite categories.
... In the F2F meeting, you can ask Axel to have an agenda item for work done so far

Eva__ULD_: We should use the Vienna meeting to exchange basic knowledge about things like that. Rigo can introduce more about data categories work done so far.

elmar: Depends on what the vocabularies are to be used for. Can be heuristic or directly applicable.

(above discussion for ACTION-33)

rigo: starting with ACTION-34. Has this been done?
... This looks done, we can close this.

<rigo> trackbot, close ACTION 35

<trackbot> Sorry, rigo, I don't understand 'trackbot, close ACTION 35'. Please refer to <http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc> for help.

<rigo> close issue-35

<trackbot> Closed issue-35.

<rigo> close action-39

<trackbot> Closed action-39.

elmar: (ACTION-39) I have forwarded this to Christof, we can close this.

<rigo> resolved and done

Eva__ULD_: My impression is that there have been a lot of conceptual discussions going on in the mailing list. It is difficult to determine progress. We should use Vienna meeting to focus.
... We can suggest that first 2-3 hours of Vienna meeting to agree on a common understanding of what the ultimate goal of the taxonomies/group would be.
... What are we working towards, that would help in focusing and structuring the inputs more.

elmar: I think this would be a good idea to list the use-cases, and to see whether they should be covered or excluded. In the categories, they can be unlimited. Depending on what the vocabularies should describe, so we can start from that.

rigo: the issue here is that we have a schema.org kind of a situation, in that there is an inifinite number of contexts. We try to analyse several use-cases and find common uses we can write into the taxonomy. So later people can look this up and re-use. Some has done been done by ISO in 29000 series (?) but this was pre-GDPR top-down vocabulary. We need to link this to the legal vocabulary.
... This will help people and tooling that we promoted in the workshop to have a common understanding (w.r.t data understanding).

Eva__ULD_: I agree with Rigo that we have to do some scoping w.r.t community group.

(reminder: Meeting in Vienna will be on 3rd December)

<Eva__ULD_> I think 8:30 is too early to start on the 3rd - I'll arrive in the morning

rigo: Any non-EU people attending (in terms of travel distance)

Eva__ULD_: It would be nice to continue on 4th
... Suggestions on timings to be sent on mailing list

harsh: Do we know how many people are attending? The doodle shows 7.

rigo: To remind Axel via email about participants for Vienna meeting

rigo and Eva__ULD: discussing meeting timings. Starting at 10:30 and going on until 4th till lunch.

<rigo> ACTION: Harsh to create a wiki page for the Agenda for the F2F meeting

<trackbot> Created ACTION-40 - Create a wiki page for the agenda for the f2f meeting [on Harshvardhan Pandit - due 2018-11-27].

rigo: Urosh do you want to discuss use-cases more, or do you expect to come to Vienna?

Urosh: we will not be attending that one

rigo: we should discuss the agenda and also on the wiki

<rigo> ACTION: Eva to send email with suggested timing for the Agenda as talked about during the last DPVCG call

<trackbot> Created ACTION-41 - Send email with suggested timing for the agenda as talked about during the last dpvcg call [on Eva Schlehahn - due 2018-11-27].

<rigo> adjourned

<rigo> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Eva to send email with suggested timing for the Agenda as talked about during the last DPVCG call
[NEW] ACTION: Harsh to create a wiki page for the Agenda for the F2F meeting
[NEW] ACTION: Hendrik to introduce IEEE privacy work to one of the next DPVCG meetings

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/11/20 15:54:08 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: Rigo, Eva, Elmar, Harsh, Ramisa, Henrik, Uros
Present: Rigo Eva Elmar Harsh Ramisa Henrik Uros
Found Scribe: harsh
Inferring ScribeNick: harsh

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 20 Nov 2018
People with action items: eva harsh hendrik

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]