Automotive Working Group Teleconference

20 Nov 2018


Rudi, Ted, Ulf, Don_Dulchinos, Ryan_Brander, Daniel, Paul, Ulf, PatrickL, Laurent, Gunnar, Hira, Jean_Pilon-Bignell, Glenn



IoT in automotive

Geotab slides

Jean: I wanted to present what Geotab is doing around SmartCities
... we are a traditional telematics company, although we do things somewhat differently
... core business is fleet management but realizing there are many derivative value
... we try to convince our customers that their vehicles are essentially smart sensors on wheels
... additional sensors are adding to the many potential use cases
... everything I will present are about how we are leveraging this data for DOT focuses
... we have a number of core strengths including security
... we are addressing high value use cases, trying to get at ADAS data but also many common existing data points
... we have approximately 1.4M vehicles producing 3B data points per day
... this map represents one day of data collection
... I mentioned we developed some capabilities around smart city use cases
... we have broken it down into five segments, a few of which I will cover
... we are doing some really interesting things in California, working with various state agencies and municipalities
... we are starting to collaborate with their EPA agency, looking at heavy duty truck activity within their jurisdictions
... if you can approximate volume of gas or diesel at a specific temperature, approximate the impact on regional air quality down to particulate amounts
... what you are seeing is a model developed with CARB and environmental defense fund
... we are approximating air quality impact from heavy vehicles
... we are starting to equip public vehicles with air quality sensors
... creating essentially roaming air quality sensors
... you need mobile, roaving collection as fixed points do not provide adequate coverage
... we also work with various state/regional DOT and public works departments to evaluate condition of their road surfaces
... to help develop road maintenance plans again leveraging vehicle data, adding sensors like accelerometers
... from a safety perspective from the vehicle itself and our own sensors, we get aggregate information from 100s of thousands of vehicles to identify hazardous driving areas
... which intersections or areas have dangerous areas (based on data sampling)
... we are starting to predict where future collisions will occur. first responders are proactively dispatching based on these findings
... this is based on machine learning
... many of the vehicles we connect today have built in temperature sensors and that is useful for identifying potential freezing conditions
... we can identify if anti-lock brakes or TCS engage to spot black ice
... traffic flow is another area we get into although other companies focus more extensively on it
... we can identify commercial speeds to help coordinate traffic lights on a certain corridor
... we feel the traffic slowdown is exaggerated by heavy vehicles and they should be prioritized as a result
... we can identify areas with parking challenges. we can identify curb space and double parking frequency in NYC for example
... last is EV charging. we are working with state of California, and others, for private and commercial fleet electrification
... where additional charging stations should be deployed. you need to first understand traffic flows and where they tend to charge
... we have some locations this is not a concern, for instance high volume of EV in the morning but typically vehicles have a full charge
... retroactively we were able to identify the epicenter of the Mexico City earthquake based on the accelerometer of our vehicle in the area alone

PatrickL: questions from the group?
... please do share your slides so we can redistribute internally

Jean: I will send the slide deck directly

Gunnar: I would be interested when these needs can help influence the standards work

Jean: good point, we needed to change the way we are collecting data

Gunnar: I really liked to hear about predictive accidents

OCF presentation slides

Don: I work for Eonti which is providing PKI for OCF
... I am chairing OCF automotive activity
... including mapping VSS data model, the previous incumbent had done considerable work but stopped six months ago
... I want to continue that work and have reached out to Gunnar and Ted to see where things stand as I want to expand the scope beyond the use cases we were working with
... short answer is both groups (GENIVI and W3C) are expanding scope
... one of the first things we want to address is security
... some devices work in more than one ecosystem at a time which is a security challenge
... the initial work within OCF was coming from a smart home view, bridging entertainment space to vehicle
... focusing on IVI, mapping the various entertainment aspects
... here it was constrained to that set of functionalities. at CES a couple years ago they demoed a car as a connected thing
... there are other trends and we have additional motivations, ridesharing, electification and AV
... list on this slide is more of a wish list going well beyond IVI, V2i, V2V, Smart Cities...
... a vehicle for an individual is connected to the home, see what should be added to data models and specs
... a number of these are same as Jean mentioned
... vehicles talk to other vehicles, infrastructure etc. a key area from US DOT is PKI management
... car could be at home, connected to a charging station. there is an OCF security model as part of the vehicle/charger connection
... there are already a number of CA from utilities with its own security model for communicating between the charger and utility


Ted: at W3C TPAC this automotive group met with a number of other W3C groups including the Linked Building Data Community Group. if it makes sense I can do an intro

Don: they more commercial or residential building focused? Either way, it would make sense

Ted: commercial but unsure, they may also be working on homes

Don: are you aware of the Fair Hair alliance? started from a Scandinavian company and we are liaising with them

Gunnar: I think you might be talking about Norwegian Herald


Jean: we are following US DOT/NHTSA PKI proposal and wondering if it will go forward or not

Don: I don't believe so. I think the issue they are focusing more is on spectrum allocation for DSRC ten years ago and now 5G is starting to compete

Jean: so the belief is this will be the security layer across both?

Don: that is one thing under consideration, regardless of the transport. the PKI/Security Credential Management System work will go forward, it is independent of/agnostic to the transport layer discussion about spectrum allocation.

Spec Layout Proposal

PatrickL: reaction so far to Ulf's proposal was positive and agreeing with the logical separation
... comments were going toward the direction of not moving together the language and words from HTTP but keep a more pure interface
... any other thoughts on summarization?

Gunnar: my interpretation was slightly different but want to hear from others
... my concern is what do we mean by transport and interface
... if you try to bring to a common interface it might be suboptimal for certain uses
... the mapping to HTTP REST might not be perfect. we should leave it open

PatrickL: this is in alignment with the discussion at our face to face meeting

Ulf: short term question is whether this is good enough to put into github to be able discuss further

PatrickL: from my perspective, yes

Ulf: alright, I will put it out there. we should also keep Patrick's document there as it is great about pulling our various past discussions and conclusions
... I will put these two files in where we will write the actual specification

Gunnar: if you can read and respond to my email beforehand that would be appreciated. I will accept if the agreed direction is different
... perhaps I was too late to the discussion

Ulf: all input is good
... entering these two documents is not etching in stone but a starting off point
... any part is open to discussion and change
... I read, although quickly, what you wrote and understand it but not what the impact/result to the document itself
... once it is there perhaps you can provide your perspective further

Gunnar: one document is concerning data model and I understand we potentially want to allow for more than one transport

Ulf: data model is coming from VSS

Gunnar: ok let's try this. I was concerned the interface might be difficult for the various things we want to do but let's try it

PatrickL: any other comments or objections?

Paul: I agree

Ulf: I will do it within a few days

PatrickL: Magnus, I think we will have to defer on your security topic until next time

Magnus: mostly want to see if there is interest, this company is willing to provide time

Ted: short version is yes, we're interested and trying to align some other people on security/privacy as well. this is Ryan's area of expertise for instance

Gunnar: intro or we have something for them to review? seems premature for latter

Magnus: I will continue discussion with them

Patrick: anything else?


Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/11/21 13:51:33 $