15 Nov 2018


stevelee, kirkwood, Glenda, JohnRochford, MichaelC, Roy, alastairc
EA, janina


<Lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Main_Page#What_documents_do_we_have.3F

<Lisa> scribe: Jennie


Lisa: starting with introductions today.
... any preferences on length of today's meeting?

<JohnRochford> It is truly my honor to be working with all of the COGA Task Force.

<Lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Main_Page#What_documents_do_we_have.3F

Lisa: Starting with overview of documents.
... This group prefers to use Google Docs for working documents, and then move them over to github.

<Lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Main_Page#What_documents_do_we_have.3F

Lisa: suggest bookmarking this document - it has the table of contents, and other important links.
... Summarized important points from research, organized by disabilities - in the research document.
... this is a working draft.
... Issue papers is next, and being updated.
... Issues papers - takes a topic, and looks at that more broadly. What works for those with different types of disabilities.
... Issue papers have not been formerly published.
... Gaps analysis: some things got added into WCAG, but not solved as wished.
... Gaps analysis and road map is a summary, user needs, how technology could help solve the user needs.
... in 3rd working draft. Actively working on now. It's use is for people making standards - how could the standards solve these problems.
... Making It Better (Layer 3): instead of relying on other groups, doing some ourselves.
... Trying to make it a separate document. How to make content usable for people with disabilities.

<Lisa> https://w3c.github.io/coga/content-usable/

Lisa: hopefully permanent link coming soon.
... publishing separately hoping more will get into WCAG, and will be useful for next generation of guidelines (Silver, AG).
... guidelines requirement: be extremely testable. This document postpones the testable pieces, but is more about what you need to do.
... goal: plain language, tell people what is helpful.
... Gaps analysis audience: W3C standard makers.
... Design Guide: name chosen to distinguish it from legal requirements.

Abij: Is topography covered?

Lisa: Absolutely. That's exactly what couldn't be done in WCAG - can't tell people in legislation which fonts to use, but we can here.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1poEoQjuWdAfWM3aOGPCwJRx7EvBsAtQ_99sGyS9Jlgc/edit

Lisa: Terms for COGA documentation document
... As you find in any of the documents terminology that is unclear to you, add them in this document.
... Glenda has been working on the feedback for theme 9.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aJE2C0FzzzXgydEp0MNGSdDDvUTTsANViUVvciFK36k/edit#heading=h.dgd1m22rf

<Lisa> https://w3c.github.io/coga/requirements/

<Lisa> https://w3c.github.io/coga/content-usable/

Lisa: Making Content Usable - how to do user testing
... Design Guide: themes for design requirements.
... If you can't give feedback, you don't know the person cannot use it.
... move feedback somewhere else? Keep it in the design guide? Or both?
... Documents are published through Github, but collaboration on working drafts is done in Google Docs.

<Glenda> Steve, see https://w3c.github.io/coga/content-usable/#design_themes where the 8 themes are listed. We needed content for “Feedback is usable by everyone”

<Lisa> https://w3c.github.io/coga/requirements/index.html

Lisa: leave it as a theme for now, because a theme is the high level of the design guide checklist. It is not meeting design recommendations unless it is met. And for simplicity recommend only putting it in one place.

Correction - Glenda's comment is above, not Lisa.

<Glenda> Then look here….https://w3c.github.io/coga/requirements/index.html#theme8 (see how it is short). I’m writing more content for that section :)

<Lisa> https://w3c.github.io/coga/content-usable/

Lisa: Alternatives: put it as a section in the usable document.
... could also expand on data collection.

John K: agree with keeping it in its own section. It would give it a stronger presence.

Alastair: Feedback section within the Design Themes - it seems a mix of policy and design aspects. In the make usable document we should say make sure it is easy to provide feedback, and reference parts of the design guide where relevant. Maybe separate the policy pieces. Like the usability testing pieces at the top.

Glenda: that's why I like it as a theme. It can then be talked about in detail.

Lisa: We are thinking of promoting it to a higher level.

Glenda: I wrote it for the design guide.

Abi J: What is meant by feedback? It would be useful if discussed in the language used in the accessibility requirements.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1poEoQjuWdAfWM3aOGPCwJRx7EvBsAtQ_99sGyS9Jlgc/edit

Lisa: we have used this term inconsistently, so this is why we are using this document.
... Abi - can you go through the documents, and add unclear terms into the terminology document?

Abi J: yes.

Lisa: Theme 9 gives some specific things that belong in the design document, but also have a subject in the usable doc at the higher level - a chapter that says "why feedback is so important." Thoughts?

Glenda: that's fine. Can we agree for now to leave it as a theme, and focus on updating it in the design guide?

<Glenda> Have you seen it fleshed out here? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aJE2C0FzzzXgydEp0MNGSdDDvUTTsANViUVvciFK36k/edit#heading=h.jmv8dajhvvom

<alastairc> AC: For what it's worth, I'm not clear what the content for the Feedback theme will be, at first read it seems to be a function that should be achievable, but not how to achieve it. Need to read Glenda's updates, but didn't have a chance before the call

Glenda: Being a theme is critical because you need to have usability testing for this use case.

Lisa: Should we have feedback is simple to use, and is available at different check points?
... Break these into two parts.

Glenda: When testing feedback you can test it all at once.

Lisa 9.3.1 could be feedback is simple to use. Then separate out the other part.

Glenda: Confirmed: it is remaining a theme, and we will break it in 2.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aJE2C0FzzzXgydEp0MNGSdDDvUTTsANViUVvciFK36k/edit#

Jennie: I will check which one was assigned to me and complete it by next week.

Alastair: I would rather do the CFC email.
... This is for the new document for Makes Usable and Design Requirements. I will send a draft on the list.

Lisa: This CFC does not include taking what was the appendix and moving it.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/11/15 16:02:02 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: stevelee kirkwood Glenda JohnRochford MichaelC Roy alastairc

WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: EA, and, steve)
Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the list,
such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ EA, janina_and_steve

WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: EA, janina_and_steve)
Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the list,
such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ EA, janina

Regrets: EA janina
Found Scribe: Jennie
Inferring ScribeNick: Jennie

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]