08 Nov 2018


The, emailed, agenda, included, somehting, from, Glenda?, Glenda, stevelee_, JohnRochford, janina, Lauriat, Lisa, johnkirkwood, Roy


<stevelee> Hi Lisa!

<Lisa> hi

<Lisa> clear agenda

<stevelee> lisa: is there an audio meeting as well?

<Lisa> udates (FTF and terms)https://docs.google.com/document/d/1poEoQjuWdAfWM3aOGPCwJRx7EvBsAtQ_99sGyS9Jlgc/edit

<Lisa> hi steve. i think the planning call is canceled as alister cant make it so we can move forward

<Lisa> (And I am not so well - so if it is not urgent I would rathe miss it ;)

<stevelee> Ah. OK. So I'll join later :)

<Lisa> coga is in an hour and a half

<stevelee> Hi lisa should we talk about Glenda's CSUN offer and abstracts?

<Lisa> i'm realy not so well. better i am up to the coga call soon

<stevelee> OK, sorry to hear that, take it easy!

<stevelee> catch you in the call

<Lisa> ageda?

<Lisa> ageda+ udates (FTF and terms)https://docs.google.com/document/d/1poEoQjuWdAfWM3aOGPCwJRx7EvBsAtQ_99sGyS9Jlgc/edit

<stevelee_> oops

<Lisa> thanks roy!

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_coga

<scribe> scribe: Glenda

silver protypes https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Write_up_from_TPAC_2018

Lisa: Silver prototype looks very promising from a COGA point of view.

<Lauriat> Presentation link to the information architecture slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1V_nYD27N6kx8gRha0rrdQK8aKyvg7kKXu6rs44We7IU/edit#slide=id.g44d9cf9fde_0_1

Jeanne: happy to see I recognize so many names here. COGA is active in Silver.
... Silver so far. 16 months of research. Identify issues in existing a11y guidelines to be solved in Silver.

<JohnRochford> I am one of the participants of the Silver Design sprint Jeanne is now discussing.

Jeanne: We held a design sprint with 30+ industry leaders in the field (to tackle some of these major challenges). And they came up with a list of suggestions. We spent summer/fall turning those suggestions into prototypes. Now we have prototypes that we want you to test.
... COGA has been one of our top priorities.

Shawn: Information Architecture goals for Silver. Easier to consume and easier to find what you are looking for. See slide 7 of the Silver TPAC presentation at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1V_nYD27N6kx8gRha0rrdQK8aKyvg7kKXu6rs44We7IU/edit#slide=id.g44d9cf9fde_0_1
... Easier ways to navigate the guidelines (using a tagging engine). Principles will move to tags.
... Technology specific SC and Techniques will become “Methods”
... Levels will go away. SC numbers will go away (because the numbers are jagon)

Lisa: Are the 2 prototypes two different options (to choose how we want Silver to look) or are they 2 prototypes (both of which we hope to use in Silver).

Jeanne: These 2 prototypes could both be used.
... Information Architecture Prototype + Plain Language Prototype (proposal is to use both..and they will merge into a Silver)

Shawn: Slide 12 - example of an SC moving to Silver.

<Lauriat> Language example: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQTeTyH3FQZ-qkt-UsyoePHV_joN_nDJy5CsMvit4GjKnbw9zsZljvGG-kU2ZTRP6bUEVJmdIWGc_PX/pub

Lisa: In general, would user testing be a method for confirming this is working?

Shawn: we want to include user testing in the conformance testing section. We want Silver to reflect real user experiences.

Jeanne: remember, this is an early draft. a sketch of what something might look like in this proposed prototype.

<jeanne> Information architecture working draft (limited bandwidth): https://mikecrabb.github.io/silver_taggingSystemDemo/guidelines.html

<JohnRochford> Just documenting Jeanne said I am the first person to rewrite a SC using the Silver prototype and plain language. Go COGA!

<jeanne> Template: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRgf85Z_NJ7HmF-UX992wLx0F-sCQyipL6USL9HTmvBOWtH53C78SVNjKI8kLTxl5UuYJbc7ImiGsB_/pub

JohnRochford you rock!

<jeanne> Fill it out and send it to public-silver@w3.org

Shawn: at the end of each method, there is a list of tests and a list of associated tags. Get creative and think about tags. We want you to TRY to create drafts using this template. Remember, these are first drafts, they don’t have to be perfect or complete.

<jeanne> Highlight where people are: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vuxtJrLPxdO-ARCSldZ3WGBBKqHJ0DsjrrdJZt4M6ec/edit#

Jeanne: I made a stab at testing Info Architecture…by writing a brand new piece of guidance that is coga related. I took “highlight where you are on a user journey”. This is an EARLY draft.

How could I take a user need from coga, write some tests, turn a test into a method, and turn that into a guideline. Example of something that is not like an old fashioned WCAG SC.

<jeanne> Plain Language working prototype: https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/PlainLanguage2/

Shawn: Main goal about plain language usage (based on problems about the usability of WCAG). Make Silver easier to understand.

<jeanne> example of plain language: https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/PlainLanguage2/SectionHeading.html

Shawn: Use plain language whenever possible. Make it clear and easy to read.

<jeanne> Style Guide for plain language: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTNEIRmC8KjpYMk4APRTZIVl3AJj7XY7XiG0bDiQM4oLJueOFrpJUjbNY7fj9R41KLwjtBi8irIWclB/pub

<jeanne> Plain Language Template: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQVTxM2r00NtcYhZJY6lN6xh_fuM9L2jnPZQJ2c59KiyA_-BcC2HkhKf0IxDod4qBunvPkXbhkCHuKq/pub

<jeanne> Copy it, fill it in, and email it to public-silver@w3.org

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQVTxM2r00NtcYhZJY6lN6xh_fuM9L2jnPZQJ2c59KiyA_-BcC2HkhKf0IxDod4qBunvPkXbhkCHuKq/pub

Lisa: How close do you think this is to a final version?

Jeanne: we expect major changes. You are some of the first people that are looking at this. We plan to take your feedback, refine it, and then later send out for wider review. We are eager to have you rip it apart.

<Lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Main_Page#What_documents_do_we_have.3F

<Lisa> https://w3c.github.io/coga/content-usable/

<Lisa> https://w3c.github.io/coga/requirements/

Lisa: we put what we are currently working on…on our wiki. We started with research, then did gap analysis and now we are focused on a draft of “Making content usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities”. The Design Guide - https://w3c.github.io/coga/content-usable/

<Lisa> https://w3c.github.io/coga/requirements/#use-clear-words

Lisa: we aren’t trying to give someone testable statements, we are trying to help designers/developers understand how to create content that works for real people.
... Design Guidelines broken into themes. see the Design Requirements for COGA at https://w3c.github.io/coga/requirements/index.html#theme1
... should we merge the work we are doing here: https://w3c.github.io/coga/requirements/index.html#theme1 with what Silver is doing with the Plain Language Template https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQVTxM2r00NtcYhZJY6lN6xh_fuM9L2jnPZQJ2c59KiyA_-BcC2HkhKf0IxDod4qBunvPkXbhkCHuKq/pub

Shawn: Too early. Our Plain Language Template is an early, early, early draft.

Lisa: We think having an “example” is very important to understanding. Suggest moving the example up higher.
... Pass and Fail examples help people understand.
... Suggest adding user stories and user testing advice for each theme.
... Next steps? COGA tries using the Silver Plain Language Template and gives the Silver TF feedback (share the good and the challenging).

Shawn: Value in having you try the template on whatever you want. Overlapping attempts are valuable. Yes, we want coverage of all SC, but we also find great value in seeing how different people write an old SC into plain language. You can also go beyond the current SC, and start from a user need.

Jeanne: Just try it. You can put many methods into one template (with the focus being on a theme/guidance). Just spend an hour and see what feels good. Or…you can try using the template for a single (more granular) method.

<JohnRochford> I need to move to the Low Vision TF conference call. Ciao!

Janina: I’m seeing the need for an easy way to mentally map terms and concepts…and clarify meaning.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1poEoQjuWdAfWM3aOGPCwJRx7EvBsAtQ_99sGyS9Jlgc/edit

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/11/08 16:00:32 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: The emailed agenda included somehting from Glenda? Glenda stevelee_ JohnRochford janina Lauriat Lisa johnkirkwood Roy
Regrets: alister
Found Scribe: Glenda
Inferring ScribeNick: Glenda

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]