Plenary Session: Personalization How Should it be Implemented
24 Oct 2018


Becka11y, Roy, jeanne, clapierre, Leonard, Nigel_Megitt, JF, LisaSeemanKestenbaum, steve, MikeGower, ivan, Avneesh
jeanne, Eric


<jeanne> scribe: jeanne

This is the personalization TF session on how personalization should be implemented

scribe: we will have some examples of how it can be implemented
... we would like feedback on how it should be implemented or what should be avoided.


Charles: This work came out of the Cogitive Accessibility Task Force and it is part of APA
... users may need simplification to symbols
... others may need to be free from distraction

Examples: 9 out 10 people prefer coffee over tea

<AWK_> https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-1.0/

Examples: the author may provide the words nine or ten for those who cannot use numbers
... people who use symbols may be use an international symbol

<Roy> https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/wiki/Comparison-of-ways-to-use-vocabulary-in-content

The three modules in addition to the Explainer document are: content, help and support, tools.

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-content-1.0/

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-help-1.0/

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-tools-1.0/

JOhn: The approach is to develop a taxonomy of terms and semantics around content
... actions, destinations, fields, destinations
... distracting content can be minimized
... personalized help and support for numbers-free ot literal
... most people would prefer a plain language, non-numbers version
... "It's raining cats and dogs" could have an alternative string text of "it's raining very heavily"
... some are proprietary, some are open source, but we don't intend to that, we intend to provide the ability to use it
... Token terms in from auto-complete was able to be included into WCAG 2.1
... we welcome feedback to the taxonomy. How do we attach this meta data at the element level?
... Options: RDFa, HTML Microdata, ARIA attributes and a long list
... we considered a new HTML element
... we just got feedback this week to avoid a microsyntax

Shawn: Is the intent to express this to an assistive technology on the other side of the browser that would deliver it to the user?

John: we envision an extension model or interpreter
... we have to establish the conditions
... starting with the semantics. We welcome the feedback from the people with experience in semantics

Ivan: RDFa is wrong. ANother possibility is to add another attribute
... but we have a proliferation of attributes

<AWK_> The only phone system for conferencing is near the speakers

Ivan: A single attribute where all the people who need additional attributes can use it. We are running it with DPub

John: We like the complexitiy of a single attribute
... it gets into a microsyntax

Ivan: A class syntax?

John: We looked at class. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything
... It has to be author-friendly, because it is being implemented by authors, not just developers.
... we might end up with 3

Ivan: We need the solution in Publications

Lisa: When we come up with the solution it can be used with different groups
... it don't want it to be limited
... in the Task Force, we wanted to do prefixes, which Web Platform said no to.
... or just accept multiple terms

Mike: Is this an authoring solution problem? The classic example of alt text, which is an author responsibility. Everyone thinks this is a mess.
... When you look at what is a common usage, like "raining cats and dogs" and have a certified W3C taxonomy of translation? Couldn't that be automatically done and not have to rely on the author.

John: It's a chicken and egg problem

Mike: You need a synonym ring

Lisa: Even tagging it as sarcastic would be helpful
... how are we putting this vocabulary into the page
... we need to zoom into how we put it into the pages

Charles: Today, we need to be able to do this for the Higher Education market. We could the route of the synonym ring, but not yet.

John: Web platform recommends a single attribute or few multiple attributes
... we are concerned about collision and conflict

Charles: We are going to ask for a TAG review

LeonardR: There are two pieces -- first that authors aren't going to do this.
... A lot of content isn't created by authors. Example of the NYTimes giving alternate translation options
... it's better not to require the author not to do the work

John: A number of things would have to come from the author

[shows example of attaching the Metadata - using Autocomplete in Japanese

Lisa: Implementers are waiting for us to make a decision about this.
... content is being made for people with cognitive disabilities using symbol sets. THey are people who want to use this standard. We aren't forcing people to use it.
... web annotation is still important

John: Where there are critical living functions that are being pushed to the web, then you will see this for clientele for their services.

<Zakim> raf, you wanted to comment on other languages

RAF: We can get rid of the author and get some of this to work automatically: for many languages we can't get it to work automatically.

<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> +1 to raf

John gives an example of slang or colloquialisms helping translation

RAF: The author will be needed.

John: Some of it can be automated -- the lower level things like numbers and symbols.

Ivan: Slang that is true today but not tomorrow, so it is not a stable thing.

Avneesh: What are the key deliverables for the Task Force?

Charles: The Peronalization Semantics Explainer

<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> the module 1 is a second working draft

JOhn: We have a working draft of the Personalization Semantics Explainer, and then Editor's drafts of the other three.

<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> module 2 and 3 is first WD

JOhn: the mechanism to attach it by is part of the explainer
... the beauty of TPAC is that we have a lot of groups together. We need to be able to attach the taxonomy

Avneesh: It can come from @@, or @@
... the use cases depends on who is doing the work
... take up a set of attachment techniques you can use.

John: The working draft is very new. We are putting it out for wide comments. I encourage you to give feedback

Charles: We started looking at a number of ways to attach, but maybe we should be looking at multiple

<JF> https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-1.0/

Charles: the Explainer document can show the possible routes

<JF> Personalization Semantics Content Module 1.0(https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/content/index.html) Personalization Help and Support 1.0(https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/help/index.html) Personalization Tools 1.0(https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/tools/index.html) Personalization Semantics Explainer 1.0(https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-1.0/)

Steve: If you can add the attribute and leave the values open

Shawn: This gets back to the earlier topic

<yatil> scribenick: yatil

<scribe> scribe: Eric

Nigel: When I see personalization I think of it as changing the presentation, but this is added to the semantic content. So you might need to consider the name of this.

<Avneesh> +1 Nigel, name personalization iw broad

Nigel: Some people in the captions world worry about the change of subtitle text. Different constituents have different views on how it should work. It also has privacy impacts, in case of JavaScript access to that type of personalization. Are those user choices in scope?
... Many people will infer that when hearing the name.

Ivan: With my publication hat on I was also thinking about changing colors and fonts.

JF: We need to think about that and we need to chat about that…

Lisa: We do have a space for user preferences to also have an interoperable way to implement them.
... This is the stage where authors can define the elements of the site and then the other component is how users can change the display.

Nigel: If it is on the roadmap, go ahead.

[Short discussion about if the name of the TF needs to be changed.]

stevelee: So, the user would be define his preferences and this is the way to make sure that authors put in the semantics to make that happen.

Lisa: As a user I would expect to define the help symbol that I recognize and then have that used consistently.

stevelee: So that makes two changes: The user can say make the font big and also translates the page depending on the marked up text.

JF: Yes, that’s what we hope to do.

[missed Lisa’s last comment]

JF: Yes, it is the first step.

Nigel: Is there any API work?

JF/Lisa: Not that we are aware of, but we don’t want to close the door on it.

Shawn: It might be good to single out different aspects.

JF: That is what we do with the different modules. The attachment mechanism is still open, we had an idea and have clarified that over TPAC. We need to better define the content taxonomy.

Shawn: This can clarify the discussion.

<Roy> public-personalization-tf@w3.org

clapierre: Thank you all for attending this breakout!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/10/24 14:31:23 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/simplifacation/simplification/
Succeeded: s/are:  @@/are: content, help and support, tools./
Succeeded: s/??/LeonardR/
Present: Becka11y Roy jeanne clapierre Leonard Nigel_Megitt JF LisaSeemanKestenbaum steve MikeGower ivan Avneesh
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
WARNING: No scribe lines found matching previous ScribeNick pattern: <yatil> ...
Found ScribeNick: yatil
Found Scribe: Eric
Scribes: jeanne, Eric
ScribeNicks: yatil, jeanne

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]