Silver Community Group Teleconference

12 Oct 2018


Charles, jeanne, mikeCrabb, LuisG, AngelaAccessForAll
jeanne, Shawn


updated IA prototype

<jeanne> Mike: This is the new IA prototype I've been working on for a while. It's a combination of the IA, and a prototype of what the tagged information could look like.

<jeanne> ... it allows people to show what they are looking for.

<Charles> url?

<mikeCrabb> https://github.com/mikecrabb/silverTaggingAPI

<mikeCrabb> https://silvertagapi.azurewebsites.net/

<jeanne> ... it is also an API to serve the data so that developers can create their own in-house tools. When people scrape WCAG for in-house tools, it is outdated when WCAG is updated. With an API, they can get the latest info.

<mikeCrabb> https://silvertagapi.azurewebsites.net/api/guidelines

<mikeCrabb> https://github.com/mikecrabb/silver_taggingSystemDemo

<mikeCrabb> https://mikecrabb.github.io/silver_taggingSystemDemo/index.html

<jeanne> Mike there is also a prototype for hte tagging system.

<jeanne> ... if you view an individual guideline, you will see a list of tags to select to show methods.

<jeanne> ... it has no data, just dummy text, so people don't get distracted by the text.

<jeanne> Luis: In the View Methods, it is just a list of methods, I haven't added any tagging options for that yet.

<jeanne> Jeanne: Existing WCAG - How to Meet: https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/?currentsidebar=%23col_customize&tags=carousels

<jeanne> Erik Eggert did much of this work on WCAG Quickref tagging. He is on the list of Observers attending Silver at TPAC. I think we could learn a lot from him about what he liked and didn't like from the development.

<jeanne> Charles: In the WCAG Quickref, they display all the success criteria that don't apply in a grayed out state.

<jeanne> Charles: I would like to see all the tags in the Quick Reference with the tags that we think should be in Silver and do a public card sorting exercise.

<jeanne> Jeanne: We should ask how the list of tags were developed. It may have come through a card sorting exercise. This was developed by EO, which does a lot of usability testing.

<jeanne> Jeanne: I would like to see a list of all the guidelines, but maybe that isn't a good idea, because I don't like how I have to drill down in Silver.

<jeanne> Charles: There is a lot of drill down. You have to select the Guideline before applying the filter. I would rather see a list of all the "mobile" methods.

<jeanne> Mike: I could do that, and then give the related Guideline.

<jeanne> Charles: The labels in the navigation - The View Guidelines and View Methods - it's ambiguous. Change it to Guidelines and Methods.

<jeanne> Charles: We are in an era of liquid expectations. We don't have a framework for comparison in other than a similar experience. Going into a large repository of information should be as easy as a comperable experience -- like retail e-commerce, where you start with a huge list, and narrow it down by search or by category and filters.

<jeanne> ... so you are seeing 3 of 147.

<jeanne> Shawn: We need to make sure it is clear that we are showing 3 of 147 and not that we are only show 3 per page.

<jeanne> Charles: I like that it is accessible.

<jeanne> Mike: I still have some more work to do on the accessibility, but it is all based around information, so it only needs styling.

draft of slide deck for TPAC meeting

<jeanne> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1V_nYD27N6kx8gRha0rrdQK8aKyvg7kKXu6rs44We7IU/edit#slide=id.p

Lauriat: Jeanne and I put together an outline for approaching the TPAC meeting.
... want to give background and context before "active" activities

<jeanne> scribe: LuisG

Lauriat: first slide: same silver goals that we have in every presentation. Make it clear these are still the goals.
... after that, the goals of what we want to get out of TPAC: 1) show prototypes and get feedback, 2) test prototypes, 3) get input from AGWG as stakeholders
... want to get people thinking about it, tell us what's missing, what might be good...getting as much feedback as we can
... next, is a review of the work we've done so far
... then a timeline of milestones and then we'll talk about the prototypes before we test drive them
... with IA, we're just restructuring content. providing different way of getting the guidelines, etc. we have a diagram linking things together and then how WCAG content moves to Silver

<Charles> test

<LuisG_> .. if they're moving into methods then they become normative

<LuisG_> Charles: Do we have a slide later that says how we scale and how new content gets put into Silver?

<LuisG_> Jeanne: Not yet.

<Lauriat> 4.1.1 "In content implemented using markup languages, elements have complete start and end tags, elements are nested according to their specifications, elements do not contain duplicate attributes, and any IDs are unique, except where the specifications allow these features."

<jeanne> The example shows how Readable could have a minor rewording and be a technology neutral guideline. The Example of 4.1.1, it is very technology specific and should be a method.

<jeanne> Charles: It could be reworded to be more generic.

<jeanne> Shawn: I think it all boils down to "did you code it correctly?" and those should be technology specific.

<jeanne> ... we could say "did you use the technology correctly?" and then most/all of Robust would then become methods.

<Lauriat> Success Criterion 3.2.2 On Input Changing the setting of any user interface component does not automatically cause a change of context unless the user has been advised of the behavior before using the component.

<jeanne> ... we have an example of PRinciples becoming tags where a guideline has multiple tags. We also have an example of an existing success criteria where multiple principles apply.

<jeanne> Jeanne: I asked for help creating a diagram to show how WCAG content moves to Silver

<Lauriat> Original 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value: For all user interface components (including but not limited to: form elements, links and components generated by scripts), the name and role can be programmatically determined; states, properties, and values that can be set by the user can be programmatically set; and notification of changes to these items is available to user agents, including assistive technologies. (Level A) Note: This success criterion is primarily [CUT]

<jeanne> Shawn: Plain Language - we describe how the plain language prototype has been developed.

<Lauriat> Translation Name, Role, Value: Make interface semantics and actions accessible for assistive technology (formerly WCAG 4.1.2) Summary All interface semantics - annotations that help assistive technology know how to interact with your website or application - must be accessible for assistive technology by using Accessibility API conventions.

<jeanne> Shawn: I did make some changes so that Name, Role, Value is technically correct.

<jeanne> ... Translation

<jeanne> Name, Role, Value: Make interface semantics and actions accessible for assistive technology (formerly WCAG 4.1.2)

<jeanne> Summary

<jeanne> All interface semantics - annotations that help assistive technology know how to interact with your website or application - must be accessible for assistive technology by using Accessibility API conventions.

<jeanne> It can be wordsmithed, but it is clear, shorter, and uses the correct terms.

<jeanne> ... the power of the plain language example is that it shows how it can be presented in a technology-neutral manner.

<jeanne> ... we are not proposing final language.

<jeanne> Charles: We may want to include the WCAG 2.1 tag numbers. Legacy people will look for it by number.

<jeanne> Shawn: I don't think we want it for tags, but we would want people to be able to search for it.

<jeanne> Jeanne: Search for 4.1.2 and get the result of Name Role Value. It wouldn't have to display "4.1.2" anywhere.

<jeanne> Shawn: On Conformance, we want to give people an idea of what we are working on around Conformance because it is not ready and then discuss it with people later.

<jeanne> ... We aren't going to talk about Requirements because the COnformance prototype isn't ready yet.

<Lauriat> 1. Test the maintainability of the Information Architecture - specific tasks to accomplish. - Take a WCAG 2.1 proposal that didn’t make it in, and break it up into pieces and write it for Silver.

<jeanne> ... then we will talk about the Test Drives. We have 3 that we want to do.

<jeanne> {see the line above for the first 1 of 3)

<Lauriat> 2. Test the plain language style guide - pick a WCAG SC and re-rewrite it.

<Lauriat> 3. Card deck of desirable tags - [talk to Charles about the How to Meet tags and confirm he wants to do it]

<jeanne> Charles: The way to do it live in room. Parent categories in a room on the board and the sticky notes with potential tags and putting the tags on the board where they go.

<jeanne> ... in a closed card sort, you control the categories. In an open card sort, cluster them how you think they make sense and categories emerge.

<jeanne> ... if time permits, it can be done pretty quickly.

<jeanne> ... if it is important, we could put it up on a service like Optimal Sort, then the time and space are less important.

<jeanne> ... it may be able to be run for free.

<Charles> https://www.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort

<jeanne> zaim, take up next

Plain Language update

<jeanne> https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/PlainLanguage2/index.html

<jeanne> here's the link to the new prototype with some of hte Section Heading data. I got most of the way through the Planning and Design tabs.

<jeanne> We will talk about it on Tuesday

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/10/12 19:01:50 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/{see the line above for the 3)/{see the line above for the first 1 of 3)/
Present: Charles jeanne mikeCrabb LuisG AngelaAccessForAll
Found Scribe: LuisG
Inferring ScribeNick: LuisG
Found Date: 12 Oct 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]