Silver Community Group Teleconference

04 Sep 2018


jeanne, AngelaAccessForAll, Lauriat, KimD, LuisG, Cyborg, mikeCrabb, kirkwood, Charles, shari, Jan
Shawn, jeanne


<scribe> scribe: jeanne

<Cyborg> present

Plain Language new proposal

<scribe> scribe: jeanne

<Cyborg> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1uebx3tpkt2dGZaV8GnWVw-LBLE_u9bOtlHH09HVAjTs/edit https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/11KrL5OjWcZPrrD3IeMuk3x-NtRJ-zABISdT0LUBZU0c/edit https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/159I0v9gNWF6_PZxqdN0bP-DqtXJ0TQidl3OztJLV6Dc/edit https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Y8BSG0xmzqEIJcKiewc2KSs3SrHwenLcmghQlZGQ28g/edit https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/13Diiw6Sb4sVJNto3DejjOfLsMDfbxAekfvlqipclyVY/edit

CS: I have a proposal in Google docs

<Cyborg> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1uebx3tpkt2dGZaV8GnWVw-LBLE_u9bOtlHH09HVAjTs/edit?usp=sharing

<LuisG> This is cool

<Cyborg> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/11KrL5OjWcZPrrD3IeMuk3x-NtRJ-zABISdT0LUBZU0c/edit?usp=sharing

<Cyborg> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/159I0v9gNWF6_PZxqdN0bP-DqtXJ0TQidl3OztJLV6Dc/edit?usp=sharing

<Cyborg> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Y8BSG0xmzqEIJcKiewc2KSs3SrHwenLcmghQlZGQ28g/edit?usp=sharing

<Cyborg> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/13Diiw6Sb4sVJNto3DejjOfLsMDfbxAekfvlqipclyVY/edit?usp=sharing

jeanne: I like the style guide aspect of "You must ensure that..." "This must"

MikeCrabb: I like the subsections for each tab, it gives a template that people can follow in.
... this would work with the information architecture really well
... the develop page needs to be done differently because different technologies need to work differently
... but we can work out that detail when we build the information architecture prototype

CharlesH: It doesn't have a numbered outline, so each new section would need the heading structure and a tag\

Cybele: I did put an SC number
... there has been some discussion about people who have done websites that have plain language for WCAG
... they are oriented toward the developer
... when we start the development tab work, we should ask those developers and ask them if they want to participate.

Jeanne: Charles, are you saying that not having a number is a good thing or a bad thing?

Charles: A good thing. It allows us to scale.

CS: I'm not attached to numbers. If it is helpful to people to find things by number, it's ok. IF it makes it harder, then remove it.

Charles: I wasn't talking about SC numbers. I was talking about the numbering in the steps. If we remove the numbering, then we can use the tagging engine to build them more dynamically.

MikeCrabb: The tabs along the top could dynamic -- they might not have all the tabs.

Shawn: Take color contrast, that is purely design work, so we could just move the Develop tab?

CS: We always want the Get Started and the Planning and the Test % Audit tab. You could shade out the Design or Developer tab

Shawn: The tab should exist. It could say there is nothing specific for development here. Some technologies will be different.

Kim: The developers may be responsible for writing the CSS, so we have to be careful.

<kirkwood> Education and Outreach EO

CS: There is a desire for linking to the information from Education and Outreach work, so this would provide a way to link to that information.

Jeanne: I can see there will need to be an information architecture for the information we will want to link to: videos, tutorials, articles, etc.

MikeCrabb: I will be working this into the prototype I'm building in the next couple weeks.

Charles: The planning tab language is activity oriented, and the information in the tabs is person oriented.

CS: Good catch! When I changed the tabs I didn't change the language in the tabs.

Shawn: Next steps?
... you mentioned outreach to the developers to help out.

Jeanne: The only requirement is that they have to join the Silver Community Group. We could reach out to anyone that has posted clear and simple information.

CS: We can rreach out, but I am not a developer, and I don't know who the best people explaining for developers.

Shawn: I think we have to be careful, because we don't want to get into content creation mode. We are working on the structure.

CS: We want to make it as clear and obvious as possible. We could ask people to look at the 4 success criteria that we picked.

Jeanne: We could start writing the 4 success criteria for the Get Started tab.

Angela: I think that's a good place to start

CS: We need to figure out what goes on the Develop tab, because that it what is most needed.

Jeanne: I think we need to wait on the Devleop tab until Mike figures out the Information Architecture.

MikeCrabb: I want to do the basics first, then I want to start filling out the Develop area with some content.

CS: I picture this about everyone sitting at the table together and be able to understand what they are doing and why. It's a place to get everyone up to speed and takes them to the specifics as they need.

MikeCrabb: Would it be the same as the summary? Would every guideline have a getting started section?
... we could try it a couple ways and see what people like best.

CS: We could start with what Angela proposed with the Plain Language.
... it could be interated and changed.

Jeanne: We also want to reach out to the people who wanted to work on the Style Guide. Are we ready to do that?

CS: It's a parallel activity, I dont' think it needs to wait.
... The structure of the style guide could be started.

scheduling the Cost of Silver discussion

Jeanne: There is a spirited discussion going on about the Cost of Silver. I want to have a discussion about it and invite people to a meeting that we talk aobut it.

Charles: It is tied to the conformance level prototype, and I don't think we have decided that yet.

Jeanne: I will send an email out to the people talking about it and schedule it for the 18th.

Shawn: I haven't read the discussion in detail. What would be the goal of it?
... I consider this premature optimization

Charles: How about whether anticipated cost should be part of the conformance prototype.
... I don't think we want to get to a cap on cost.
... whether or not cost should be a part of the conformance model, yes or no.

CS: I think there is discussion potentially to be had on how cost relates to efficiency. If we make things cost effective, could an organization do more with the same budget.

<kirkwood> I’d be interested

<KimD> Me too, please

updates on Information Architecture

MikeCrabb: I'm working on the prototype. It may be worth giving it to developers in advance.
... start a hackathon for developers to help
... for next year when we have it more nailed down.
... I'm trying to make another prototype so people can interact and see it

Jeanne: I think we could run the Silver coding concurrently with the Silver content creation.

Charles: Any hackathon would have to be international in participation

MikeCrabb: I'll contact the Major League Hacking

<mikeCrabb> https://mlh.io/

MikeCrabb: to see if they would be interested in hosting
... they help run hackathons in university. They may be willing to get involved.

updates on Conformance

<KimD> Can you share those links, Jeanne?

Jeanne: No new updates from conformance other than an email with accessibility maturity model.
... I got an email with links on accessibility maturity model.
... DAMM - https://www.levelaccess.com/the-digital-accessibility-maturity-model-introduction-to-damm/
... PDAA of NASCIO: https://www.nascio.org/Publications/PID/485/evl/0/CategoryID/50/CategoryName/PDAA

update on Meaningful Involvement

CS: There has been progress, but there isn't time to talk about it in detail. I will have something to show on Friday.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/09/04 14:39:40 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: jeanne AngelaAccessForAll Lauriat KimD LuisG Cyborg mikeCrabb kirkwood Charles shari Jan
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Found Date: 04 Sep 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]