12 Jul 2018


janina, kirkwood, Glenda


<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> scribe: alastairc

Lisa: The personalisation task force are working on module 2, and are creating a vocab for supporting terms.
... these exist for other communities, but now they are thinking of COGA needs.
... it helps you find the version that's better for you. E.g. the easy-read content can have a consistent name.
... I've copied this into a google doc
... This is an old list from a few years ago. There are a few things that might be ommitted, perhaps due to it being created for a different use-case.
... we can move onto usability-testing it, e.g. for people with memory issues.
... first question: did everyone understand the use-case for this?

<kirkwood> like an alt tag for descriptive text for an image. ‘simpified’ would be information within tag that could be available for the coga user

Lisa: It can be used as metadata, or simple summary. It is categories that websites can use to provide versions, and user-agents (plugins) would automatically select it.
... could also be used to clarify which sites are best for someone in search results.

<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> The personlization task force are looking at tags to help people find the content that they can use. I mage some extra proposals as well.

<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> [17:07:36] ‹Zakim› ... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kW2druI59AOuLQKjWHwcfq9RaYwAA0V0mapPCfIiLD8/edit?usp=sharing" taken up [from LisaSeemanKestenbaum]

<kirkwood> yes. I would like to add I think we need have very strong definition of each term. Yes for site authors. But this may be done well by personalization task force

alastairc: These are labels for sites to use to describe verisons of content that can be used by plugins/browsers to show to users. Therefore the audience is site authors, secondarily user-agent makers.

<kirkwood> Yes

<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> The personlization task force are looking at tags to help people find the content that they can use. I mage some extra proposals as well. [17:07:36] ‹Zakim› ... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kW2druI59AOuLQKjWHwcfq9RaYwAA0V0mapPCfIiLD8/edit?usp=sharing" taken up [from LisaSeemanKestenbaum]

Lisa: I copied over the definitions from what they had already. Some are support featuers, 'extra info' I've marked as leave-for-now, they are for a different use-case.
... my concern is, do we think (as a TF) that we have the right tags? It was written years ago for a different form, I've added some proposed ones.
... shall I talk thought what we have so far?


alastair: question about where we can find outside definitions of these types of content?

Janina: I've been poking around, and found a few things from Voice of America, and mime-types are another source of input

Lisa: This call only needs to look at the 'do we like the terms', not the implementation.

Janina: I am not an expert on this, looking to subject area experts for this.
... need to get input from around the planet!

JohnR: It's confusing about the terms if they are changing anyway?
... great news in this area, my 2 year research study on plain language vs typical web news has the results, and does show that it makes a difference.

<kirkwood> it seems we don’t have label and definition but rather label and purpose? not sure which we want

Janina: This is our best guess for the right set of terms, needs feedback from COGA experts internationally, which is why it would change.

Lisa: Right now it's easy to make new proposals, it will go into the first working draft. Then when it gets wider comment people will say when there are other terms or changes to make.
... We covered a lot of areas, a lot of it comes from the design requirements doc. There are some global tags like easyread that's popular in the EU, which is specified. Here it's broken down.

Glenda: Who is the audience for the label column?

Lisa: Web developers.

Glenda: Ok, understood.

Lisa: The personalisation group will sort that out, more worried about the content.
... the labels don't matter that much, but do we have the right definitions?
... please ignore the 'extra info' items, which we aren't using.

Glenda: would love for these to work now!

Lisa: It would be great to know in advance, from the search results.

AC: So the terms are not exclusive, you can use more than one at a time?

Lisa: correct, and there are a couple of umbrella terms like easylang.

Glenda: Can we have sub-options, e.g. easylang.all, and easylang.chunks option, so you know which you get.

<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> im back

JohnR: I don't know of people using these types of things, will people find these too burdonsome.

Lisa: It is for people who have already decided that they are producing content.

<kirkwood> another parallel is the mobile version of sites, where content is often paired down for very small screen to get to infromation. But not standardized methodology

AC: Need to make sure we capture what people are creating now, rather than inventing things they might create in future.

Lisa: This is to put out for comment, but first let's make sure we get the proposed suggestions out.
... (overviews terms in the doc)

<LisaSeemanKestenbaum> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WcfVALVq8PS9CLXUuAfV9Op0wXvI2yJYedj5jO23GTk/edit#

AC: Question on whether they have to be alternative content or not? Is the search-listings content a valid use-case on it's own?

Lisa: Both are valid.
... (so it doesn't have to be labelling alternative content, it can be a label for the default content.)

JohnR: I don't have anything to add, not my area of interest.

JohnK: I've been going through it, I'm struggling to differentiate definition and purpose?

Lisa: Important feedback, let's consider the purposes.

JohnK: The labels P0 / P1 etc, confusing, that can be used as labelling paragraphs in editorial?

Lisa: Ok, we'll check in with EA about the Ps.

Glenda: Does the easylang belong with the whitespace one?

Lisa: please feel free to edit, it's useful feedback.

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/07/12 15:04:06 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/a+//
Succeeded: s/ak g//
Default Present: janina, kirkwood, Glenda
Present: janina kirkwood Glenda
Found Scribe: alastairc
Inferring ScribeNick: alastairc

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]