Silver Task Force and Community Group

26 Jun 2018


KimD, jeanne, Jennison, AngelaAccessForAll, Roy, mikeCrabb, kirkwood


TPAC registration early bird ends July 31 (repeat)

<kirkwood> hello i can hear but mic not working... argh


Reminder: no Silver meetings July 3 and 6

Jeanne: happy vacation to all vacationing.

Silver Requirements

Comments from AGWG: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11eSnUw9iBf_07GZsna5ozj--zZx6DTATguaTv8uauEo/edit#heading=h.e4f7qe4qdp34

<scribe> New draft of Requirements: https://w3c.github.io/silver/requirements/

<KimD> The 2.0 abstract does say "WCAG 2.0 success criteria are written as testable statements that are not technology-specific.

<kirkwood> sounds fine to me

<kirkwood> its nicer and shows depth

<kirkwood> I like onramp

<kirkwood> introduction is fine too

<kirkwood> I don’t see how a standard can not be technology neutral

<kirkwood> html is a standard though

<kirkwood> so extend the standard, in essence. i see the core be neutral. I see what you are saying

<kirkwood> makes sens

<kirkwood> sens/sense

<kirkwood> Agreed. That is what facilitates innovation.

<kirkwood> I was just worred about how specify technolgy turns people away from innovation

<mikeCrabb> MikeCrabb : I like the idea of having these different 'flavours' of what the silver guidelines could be. There would be a general 'core' version and then dependant on what technology a person was looking at there could be different options that people could enable to see specific advice

<mikeCrabb> ... one of the issues with current WCAG is that there are Guidelines linking to Success Criteria linking to Techniques, so as a user you have to go quite deep in order to get to it. So in part, this is just another way of changing the view that people see

close item 1

slide deck with prototypes for a11yTO


<mikeCrabb> jeanne: will be doing a presentation Thursday night at accessibility Toronto. Slide No 14 has a new section called prototypes

<mikeCrabb> ... added in what is happening with plain language, one for IA. We are looking for 3-6 prototypes for what silver can look like and members are looking at existing work for ideas to go forward

<mikeCrabb> ... one thing we haven't talked about is how to get silver to be scalable and how to get accessibility experts to add their own code/design patterns etc.

<mikeCrabb> ... this is something that a lot of people got excited about last year, but as we're going back this is something that we should be talking about too

<mikeCrabb> ...related to IA as we need to know how this can work and see if anyone wants to come and work on it

<mikeCrabb> ... conformance. Only a proposal, not a decision.

<mikeCrabb> https://w3c.github.io/silver/

MikeCrabb: It would be very helpful to have IA prototypes.

Roy: I could share this with the China Accessibility Community Group. THen I could bring their ideas to the Silver Task Force.
... there are Community Groups for other countries. Use those to contact people who are interested in accessibility.

Jeanne: Jemma, do you have contacts in the Korean Accessibility Community? Could you ask people to work on a prototype?

ideas for China work

Jeanne: I will look for the draft of the invitation email that we worked on and update it.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/06/26 14:40:47 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/title: Silver Task Force and Community Group//'/
Succeeded: s|/'||
Present: KimD jeanne Jennison AngelaAccessForAll Roy mikeCrabb kirkwood
Regrets: Peter
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: jeanne
Inferring Scribes: jeanne

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]