Silver Community Group Teleconference

01 Jun 2018


jeanne, LuisG, kirkwood
Shawn, Charles, Jennison, Jan, Shari


<jeanne> https://rawgit.com/w3c/silver/master/requirements/

<scribe> Scribe: LuisG

<jeanne> The earlier link wasn't right. LEt's try this one: <- https://rawgit.com/jspellman/silver/master/requirements/

Jeanne: Here are some of the things I did. Put an email into the first paragraph.
... the important thing I did was in the first paragraph of introduction, I thought a lot about the definition of accessibility and would really like to defer the issue
... maybe when we get into the content, but not necessarily for the requirements.

<jeanne> People with disabilities can face problems using online content and applications. Disabilities can be permanent, temporary, or situational. Most of the requirements in Silver prioritize the needs of permanent disabilities, but the requirements can also apply to temporary or situational disabilities.

Angela: What about situational limitations rather than situational disabilities.

Jeanne: Also did a major rearranging of the sections. I put the problem statements first, then design principles, and then the requirements.
... I also added the change log. So that we could tell what's been updated when.
... There is probably a better or more formal structure to use, and I'm fine changing it if someone wants to give feedback.
... I will take an action item to update the requirements for changes from this meeting.

<trackbot> Error finding 'item'. You can review and register nicknames at <https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/users>.

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to update the requirements with changes from 1 June meeting

<trackbot> Created ACTION-183 - Update the requirements with changes from 1 june meeting [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-06-08].

Jeanne: we discussed pushing back the presentation to working group to June 12; originally June 5, but I heard back that that's the M Enabling Summit and will likely be cancelling, so they want to put it off until the 19th
... I think we can make sure we have it ready for June 5

LuisG: I can help out a little with prep stuff for June 5 presentation.

Jeanne: How good are you with Github?

LuisG: I can try helping out with the issues.

Jeanne: Cool. I'm going to be working next week to iron out a lot of the Github issues I've been having. Once I get it worked out, I'll document my findings to avoid frustration for others in the future.


<jeanne> TPAC Overview <- https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/Overview.html

Jeanne: The first thing is...here is the TPAC overview.
... hopefully you can get your company to pay for you. It's October 22 and 23
... It will be in Lyon, France
... it includes a link to the hotels

<jeanne> TPAC Schedule <- https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/schedule.html

Jeanne: and the TPAC schedule page has good news. We have two full days of meeting.
... We have Monday and Tuesday. If you can, I would recommend staying for Wednesday the 24th. That's when they have the actual technical plenery and that's a day of dozens of breakout sessions of really interesting technologies. We will also do a breakout session.
... for the last two years, Shawn and I have done a session on Wednesday with standing room only audiences.
... any questions about TPAC?
... lots of people can come. It's really a very exciting week.

Requirements document and "disabilities" definition

Project plan

<jeanne> Project Plan <- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p-8-v-XqRllBaX_eTiXXvyyDYeft8GRiN3_11V3U0w/edit#gid=0

Jeanne: Here's the project plan
... I did some updates last week. I put in some dates. Angela, of interest to you...I would like to get plain language test of 4 success criteria done by June 15th. that would give people two weeks to look at it.
... I also put that as the time to start working on the style guide which I expect will be a moving target as we learn things. but I think it would be helpful to start writing down the style decisions that we make as a result of testing the sample success criteria
... Kim Patch one of the chairs of the mobile accessibility taskforce is interested in helping with our styleguide
... the Github APIs. Angela, did you talk to MSDN team?

Angela: A contact I had referred me to someone that was too new to know. I have to follow up with her again about someone more seasoned. I'll do that today.

Jeanne: I also have a draft to Wendy to get her perspective. Ideally we'd like someone at MS to say "sure, here's the code" or "I'll adapt the code for you"
... that way we could make it easier for anyone to comment on our documents.

LuisG: Would it be too forward to ask for the code or to adapt it for us?

Angela: We could.

Jeanne: I could go to Jenny for that, but I think we could do it.
... it may not work, but who knows.

LuisG: Given what they've been doing in accessibility, I would expect them to want to help out.

Jeanne: For the status update, that's all complete for whatever we can do right now. For ID24 in OCt, we'll do something else
... plain language, I think we're up to date with.
... homepage and naming and tagging are waiting on information architecture
... on the prototype design section, which is where we're putting anything that doesn't fall under information architecture or plain language, I have a draft of the conformance model

<jeanne> Conformance Prototype: <-https://rawgit.com/jspellman/silver/master/prototypes/ConformancePrototype.html

Jeanne: this doesn't have any changes from earlier this week.
... we didn't talk about it in any detail, so we could talk about this right now.
... Since this is a small attendance meeting, do you want to be done, or talk about this, or talk about something else?
... if anyone wants to drop off, feel free
... in the intro section, I have a quick paragraph about the research we did as a problem statement

<jeanne> The research done in 2017-2018 by the Silver Task Force, the Silver Community Group, and the research partners was used to identify the key problem statements in the area of conformance. See the Silver Research Summary slides for more detailed information. The Problem Statements related to conformance are summarized below. See the Silver Problem Statements wiki page for the complete problem

<jeanne> statements.

Jeanne: for the problem statements, I summarized them into one paragraph for each problem statement
... any comments or suggestion on those?
... next section of suggestions from design sprint is a copy/paste of that information
... after 11, I started introducing the prototype but it doesn't have a heading, so it might be easily overlooked
... it might need a heading to be more understandable. this is where I started writing...everything before was basically copy/paste of what was in previous documents
... so we have three areas of how we're going to address these. because they're all related, but they all go into how we measure overall, individual, and accessibility conformance
... let's talk about overall conformance because this is probably the most complicated one.
... The first paragraph how we came up with looking for inspiration from the LEED certification for green buildling
... it came from a lawyer that used to work for office of civil rights....in a different research project. She suggest we look at that for a better way of measuring conformance in Silver. One of the things she said was that it already is accepted in a regulatory environment.
... Even if we bring out silver in 2020 or 2021 and we're not addressing some new product that's come out, what we can do is create a new conformance model for that new thing.
... As an example, there are a lot of requirements for text in WCAG 2.0; and likely in silver. If we were going to start writing guidance for home assistance which don't use text, instead of saying not everything in silver applies to the new product, we could have a new point system that applies to home assistance.
... it allows us to have different things for different products. point system for small static sites and another for big social media sites
... WCAG is really one size fits all, but we'd be able to customize silver using this kind of system.

LuisG: An issue I would expect to see from this approach is site publishers trying to meet one set of requirements, say for small static sites, instead of for what their site actually is.

Jeanne: The points system allows us to prioritize and give incentives to individual guidance without having to assign it to a level. So people may want to say "I'd like to do this accessible authentication for users with cognitive disabilities because it gives me a lot of points" instead of "this is AAA, so I don't have to do it"
... oh, we're at time.
... I'm definitely interested in peoples' ideas, please file github issue. And put "conformance" in the title so we know what it's about
... don't want to confuse it with the requirements issues

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to update the requirements with changes from 1 June meeting

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/06/01 19:50:42 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/action item to update the requirements with changes from 1 June meeting//
Succeeded: s/.. For the status update/Jeanne: For the status update/
Succeeded: s/informtion/information/
Succeeded: s/rrsagent, make minutes'//
Present: jeanne LuisG kirkwood
Regrets: Shawn Charles Jennison Jan Shari
Found Scribe: LuisG
Inferring ScribeNick: LuisG
Found Date: 01 Jun 2018
People with action items: jeanne

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]