Silver Community Group Teleconference

25 May 2018


Lauriat, alastairc, kirkwood, jeanne, JakeAbma, Jennison, Imelda, Roy, shari, MichaelC, chaals, Charles, LuisG, Jan, Angela, s
Shari, chaals, Shawn


Jeanne: Anyone on the call with GitHub expertise?
... Let's start with requirements document.

<jeanne> https://w3c.github.io/silver/requirements/

Requirements document

Jeanne: finally in a fairly polished state. Put it in W3 format and put it on Github.
... going to have to change status of the document because we're not officially chartered to do W3C Recommendations track work.

<jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to update Requirements with the Community Group SOTD

<trackbot> Created ACTION-181 - Update requirements with the community group sotd [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-06-01].

Jeanne: is it me or is there nothing in this except for doc outline?

<Charles> so, if the PR is accepted and somehow pushed, the styles would be visible here? https://w3c.github.io/silver/prototypes/guideline-detail-page.html

~general github pages troubleshooting discussion~

<Charles> see here: https://github.com/w3c/silver/branches

<chaals> jeanne, ping

Conformance Prototype

Jeanne: While we're working on that in the background, why don't we...

<jeanne> https://docs.google.com/document/d/13v22c045j4QfUlohjyu-kz46smamXavL-pIndWetel0/edit

Jeanne: right now it has no structure. It's just a copy/paste

<chaals> The document Jeanne wants to show

Jeanne: Oh! I was missing the slash master
... in the meantime we'll see if we can get the requirements document visible.
... might be able to get it in rawgit which would be good
... Some background, this is the action item I took on Tuesday to start moving conformance prototype...to writing it all down andmoving it into Github
... it's also in a tool the W3C uses for specifications called Respec- there is a button for that in the upper-right corner. It does a lot of the background W3C information. If I did it right it builds table of contents, definitions, all kinds of useful specification type information.
... the first part is the abstract. I'm not sure what people think about that, but feel free to create issues on the document and anything you see, bring it up and I'll take notes.

Charles: First thing I see...conceptually as we work through prototypes, we might need a naming convention that shows which version

Jeanne: That's a very good idea.
... it's definitely an issue we need to talk about more: if we're going to have multiple prototypes

Charles: At the very least, for all or our work in this phase, some portion needs to be versioned or iterated so when we test, we're testing against something that exists and testing against versions

Jeanne: Trying to give links to various support documents. Somehow link to problems wiki page didn't come through.
... Why don't we start by looking at overall conformance. we talked about this a little on Tuesday.
... I started with LEED green building certification and using that...thought about the point system to allow us to address needs of different types of sites..so we wouldn't have the same requirements for a large company as a small company
... Linked to the notes Jan types up from AccessU session. Some of the things fo rthe points system. Some of the concerns people raised that they want to see us address.
... this would be easier to work on in Google Docs because we can make comments more easily than issues in Github

<Charles> I have an update on Plain Language volunteers

Project Plan updates

Charles: Not sure if everyone on the call is privvy to previous milestones in this recruiting effort. I stumbled upon a coworker is vice chair for center for plain language an offshoot of original agency for US gov't plain language guidelines that IRS and other agencies now use. In the Center for plain language they just had a major annual meeting and all board members were hesitant to volunteer for other efforts, but he offered to reach out to the entire group.

Just today got back 3 volunteers. Sarah Green, Cath Strob, and Janna Goldman

scribe: all interested in volunteering their expertise
... sent a follow up to them this afternoon. Hopefully will get them connected as community group members and joining that prototyping effort

Jeanne: That is great news. Can you send contact information to me and Shawn so we can start including them in what we're working on for plain language?

Charles: Sure, I can forward you my original response to them.

Jeanne: Want to also include Angela? She's also working on plain language.
... We were emailing about setting up experiment on the 4 WCAG success criteria we picked out a few weeks ago.
... we will include them in that email which is great.

<jeanne> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p-8-v-XqRllBaX_eTiXXvyyDYeft8GRiN3_11V3U0w/edit#gid=0 <- Project Plan

Jeanne: I had an action item to talk to Angela, we emailed instead.

<jeanne> open actions <- https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/actions/open

Jeanne: so Charles was working on moving requirements document to github and incorporate edits...not sure how far he got. I also moved conformance prototype into github.

<jeanne> https://rawgit.com/w3c/silver/master/requirements/

Jeanne: rawgit gives us a better look...
... it's not formatted nicely, but it has the content in it beyond just the outline

Design Pricniple 1: 'people' is missing

Requirements number 2: Change to "structure is flexible and forgiving for unanticipated needs"

Rework first paragraph of the requirements. It's too detailed.

The first sentence is only about the WCAG and doesn't include Authoring Tool/User Agent Guidelines

Jeanne: Requirements document should be in a more final state on Tuesday.

Charles: Future agenda items...when do you anticipate bringing TPAC back up as a topic

Jeanne: I have new info on that!
... before we move on, any more updates on the project plan?

<chaals> make a new github issue for silver

Jeanne: need to figure out a labeling system and...we need to figure out how to work on Github

<chaals> [note that issues are for the whole repository, so if you want to make an issue on a particular document, please name it in the issue]

<jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to contact the Github experts to get help setting up a workflow for Github.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-182 - Contact the github experts to get help setting up a workflow for github. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-06-01].

Charles: Fine having it in github if it's more convenient.

Jeanne: Eventually need to move into Gihub because that's where all the W3C tools are. How quickly do we move there? I'm willing to try jumping in for the requirement document, but just right now we're not as prepared.

Luis: And Github is more transparent.

Charles: It's immediately public.

Jeanne: Provided you know the github.io address
... we can tie anything in Github into the Community Group and publish on CG page linked to Github
... and that sends out notifications, etc.
... There are a lot of advantage of moving to github. We just need to make sure that we can use it and that people that want to participate can also use it.
... I have an action item from last Tuesday to contact people at MS to see if we can get some insight into what they did for MSDN because htye have a custom accessible front end.
... Angela are you connected to that?

Angela: I used to be, but I can reach out to someone I know.

Jeanne: We'll talk again on tuesday and hopefully these documents will be more visible.

~general weekend well wishing~

<jeanne> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By6VFGAP_eGYci1BMG9fakZ1Q0ZpN283VEtiX203djN2VHBB

<jeanne> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to contact the Github experts to get help setting up a workflow for Github.
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to update Requirements with the Community Group SOTD

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/05/25 19:43:46 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/chaals, are you available to jump on the call for a few minutes and give us a hand with some Github issues?//
Succeeded: s/rrsagent, make minutes'//
Succeeded: s/officially chartered to do W3C work./officially chartered to do W3C Recommendations track work./
Succeeded: s/specifications call Respect /specifications call Respec/
Succeeded: s/call Resp/called Resp/
Succeeded: s/started with lead certification/started with LEED green building certification/
Default Present: Lauriat, alastairc, kirkwood, jeanne, JakeAbma, Jennison, Imelda, Roy, shari, MichaelC, chaals, Charles, LuisG, Jan, Angela
Present: Lauriat alastairc kirkwood jeanne JakeAbma Jennison Imelda Roy shari MichaelC chaals Charles LuisG Jan Angela s
Regrets: Shari chaals Shawn
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: LuisG
Inferring Scribes: LuisG
Found Date: 25 May 2018
People with action items: jeanne

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]