Silver Community Group Teleconference

22 May 2018


Lauriat, alastairc, kirkwood, jeanne, JakeAbma, Jennison, Imelda, Roy, shari, MichaelC, chaals, jemma
Shawn, jeanne


<Imelda> +1

Shawn: requirements draft

<Lauriat> Requirements draft: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15F4KuNXYK5q2rOgb4ktHiJQMQpAEL9EetARpMU3vD_A/edit

Shawn: joint effort getting draft together intitial high level requirments doc bring to overall AG gourp in 2 weeks
... got great comments from Chales
... in particular the first two he made asuggestion for better wording
... nxt steps to rework abstract and introduction
... to clarify it to make more sense
... to do without losing intent
... two requirements, he rewrote them

<Lauriat> From Chaals: "These seem to say the same thing in different words and not in very plain language."

Shawn: this is the rewording

<Lauriat> Rewording: "Silver will provide more information than a simple pass/fail statement. It will describe "minimal" and "better" methods of conforming to a requirement."

Jeanne: i like that much better

Shawn: potential replacement for the first two awkwwardly worded requirements


chaals: we’re sending out to wroking groups thatas good
... when do we need

Shawan: anything up to the day before ofr any suggestions


Chaals: i can’t do on google docs

Jeanne: looking at wording of number 1 and actually changes direction a bit more in a way I’m not sure we wnat to go


Jeanne: not sure about it, that wold be good for ‘it may describe’

Chaals: generaly more useful to identify things it doesn’t do well on call, and think about concrete fixes outside call

Shawn: one of the things want to do is have requirments use plain language, i feel I have failed at

Chaals: i will tak a shot at it


Shawn: once we incoroporate other comments can go into github

Chaals: “this is still being developed” would be good to have at the top

Jeanne: since you were offering to do a sentence by sentence to move it into git hub would be good

<jeanne> ACTION: Chaals to move the Requirements doc to Github, incorporate edits and plain language editing pass.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-178 - Move the requirements doc to github, incorporate edits and plain language editing pass. [on Charles McCathie Nevile - due 2018-05-29].

I’m not sure if I can be heard but I can hear you

Chaaals: alastairs’ comment makes sense

Alastair: thinking about it from working group perspective

Shawn: wanted to avoid some of the language of current guidelines. such as excluding the word “more"
... wanted to avoid saying doing something different than 2.1
... Open to better wording

Jeann: needs that do not support a pass fail test

Chaals: too complicated

<chaals> [+1 to Alastair and Shawn. Something like "widest possible"...]

Chaals: agree with Alistairs sentiment of supporting widest posiible range of disabilities

Alastair: bit in guidelines about people than can dig into technology

Jennison: add dayes around this?

<alastairc> chaals - would be good to review the sentence above the list as part of the 'more' aspect, as it starts off with a comparison.


Chaals: add dates around this comment, shawn?

Shawn: this was specifically when the research was done
... aside from a note, to add a link to the research

Jeanne: I’ll add it right now

Project management plans: project definitions & scoping

Shawn: project management plan, project defintion and scoping

<Lauriat> Project plan: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p-8-v-XqRllBaX_eTiXXvyyDYeft8GRiN3_11V3U0w/edit

Jennison: as part of the discussion would be good to kknow where we are with finding project managers

Shawn: we held off from looking at projects, we wanted to nail down requirments to guid towward the requirments
... we knew about plain language, wwe can do in parallel with other things
... it will b3e extremely helpful. other things relay heavily on information architecture

Shwaywn: we are really in need of a project manager

Shawn: we are really in need of a project manager

Whawn: we need to identify project manager to have it move forward

<chaals> s/whawn/Shawn/

Shawn: we have ageneral project plan but step one is kind of a blocker for us

Chaals: lets figure out what tasks we can do now, give no formal budget

Shawn: we have an outline, draft from project plan which is minimal

Shawan: what is the end goal and see how we can get there in various ways and how to move forward with what we have got

Jennison: are we taking project manager out of the mix?

Shawn: not necessarily
... we don’t have Inoformation architecture professionals on task forc3e
... we need to identify someone to start
... we cdan figure out what we want to gat out of this

Jennison: we need to keep the recruting

Jeanne: looks laike Charles has recruited some experts
... we as a group should owrk on requirments and what we need from them

Jeann: we should look at requirments we are giving them could be the next steps for our group

Shawn: we could start an email list, this is the goal we are working towards and these are the materisals, and this is our approach and have experts define how it works

Jeanne: i wanted to work on that i know hoe to lead a group
... I wish Charles was here so I could ask him
... i don’t know the requirements. I gave all docs and links a nd major things from EO to include. We have a good inventory all in IA protypes folder

Jennison: maybe we should wait for his return, unless he’s gone for a long time referring to Charls

Jeanne: its in protype folder

Shawn: I’m fine with holding to talkt to Charles

Shaqwn: we can add it to agenda Friday

Shawn: conformance model protype we cand do in parallel
... we have much clearer scoping for it

Jeann: i can speak to confrmance, we have a number of ideas and refinement of model we are working towards

Jeanne: i can make sure its ready by friday, bringing expertws to comment. in early June will be ready for another round of user input and testing
... i thinkk we have refined to a deeper level enough, once plished based on Jan’s notes we can send around for comment
... probable think about getting on WCAG agenda late June to get another round of feedback
... they need to be put on drive

Shawn: for protypes should we share on github?

Jeanne: thats a good idea
... last time in github found it terribly difficult

Shawn: I have difficulities too

<jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to move the Conformance prototype into Github

<trackbot> Created ACTION-179 - Move the conformance prototype into github [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-05-29].

Shawn: we do have conformance model type in progress

Jeanne: asssighn to me for now
... addign me to all three of these

Shawn: github projects, is ther someone who managed before, is that the right way to do it? are ther better ways? best practices?
... who has github foo??

no github SME it seems

Jeanne: Chaals has the best github expertise

Chaals: in that case we are in trouble ;)
... explaining github…
... start out using milestones
... until then we should skip it

Jeanne: I htinks its a good idea
... once its in github it will be esier for some to comment

: Jeanne: once its in github it will be easier for some (the general community) to comment

Jennison: you were going to talk about how microsoft has a clean interrfface for github and how we might leverage that

<jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to ask Wendy about accessible Github interface for MSDN and how we could possibly use that

<trackbot> Created ACTION-180 - Ask wendy about accessible github interface for msdn and how we could possibly use that [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-05-29].

Shawn: I think the rest of projects we have noted at least depend on the information architecture
... standards and homepge design
... three projects at this pint, first plain language

Jeanne; John Rochford is interested in leading

Jeann: Andrea hooker is interested in leading it

Jeanne: i know some of the editors, has anyhone talked to an editor and can give name and email address?

Shawn: i can pin the person in Austarlia on plain language and information architecture, id on’t know personally

Chaals: i know someone

Jeanne: I will follow up iwht you Chaals

Shawn: one thing I wanted to check on sounds like we have another person to manage, Charles we have him focus on information architecture project rather than three different things
... didn’t want to stretch him too thin

Jeanne: will talk to Angela and get it rolling
... will continue to recruit editors
... we can take out the organize the work item
... we are stetting up task and tyle guide, dont’ need organize as a separte line item

i vote to remove

Shawn: wrap up nesxt steps, i will creat a milstone in Silver github repository
... will make a milestone ‘protypeing things’ of somehting like that

Chaals: should requirments be in there
... there is a requirements area so will paste it there

Shawn: anything else”?

Jeanne: forth of July scheduling

Shawn: wanted to check schedules, could call the week?
... i will be out the whole week?
... I will miss next three callls

Jeqanne: i will run the meeting

<jemma> I will be out next Tuesday and July 4

Shari: i will be out this friday and Jan and I out whole week fo forth of July

Jemma: out for holiday itself

no problem!!


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Chaals to move the Requirements doc to Github, incorporate edits and plain language editing pass.
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to ask Wendy about accessible Github interface for MSDN and how we could possibly use that
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to move the Conformance prototype into Github

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/05/22 16:10:44 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/reflect/think about concrete fixes/
FAILED: s/whawn/Shawn/
Present: Lauriat alastairc kirkwood jeanne JakeAbma Jennison Imelda Roy shari MichaelC chaals jemma
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: kirkwood
Inferring Scribes: kirkwood
Found Date: 22 May 2018
People with action items: chaals jeanne

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]