Silver Task Force Teleconference

24 Apr 2018


LuisG, Roy, jeanne, Jan, kirkwood, jaeunjemmaku, Kelsey, Charles, Shawn, Imelda, Jennifer
Shawn, jeanne


Plain language


<JohnM> /drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nJZvZgF_syTV9BgBwxMGobpJ6dDKEo2r?usp=sharing///drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nJZvZgF_syTV9BgBwxMGobpJ6dDKEo2r?usp=sharing

<scribe> scribe: jeanne

shawn: We want to get a feel of what people think about this.

John: I like to watch TV with the captions because I like spelling on so if I'm not giving 100% of my attention it helps.

Jeanne: John took the language we drafted (VideoOriginal) and then ran it through a tool to simplify it (VideoSimple)

Charles: The language was hastily designed by committee. I think when it was simplified, it no longer accurately reflects the original.
... for example, the title simplified well. It didn't go far enough. Some people cannot hear.
... as it progresses it can be further simplified.
... I think the tool does a good job, but it needs human intervention to insure that it stays with the intent of the original.

Shawn: I agree with Charles that it needs human oversight.

Jeanne: I thought it oversimplified toward the end where it was technical
... I want to see it tried on WCAG language, instead of language already tested.

Charles: I like the list of principles that JohnR provided as a basis for a style guide.

Shawn: I think the WCAG testing is the next step.
... There are a lot of sources that have different rules to make a style guide.
... Chaals suggested we adopt a styleguide instead of trying to create our own.

Imelda: Is there a checklist of how to evaluate the ease of understanding?

Charles: I think that is up to us to say.
... it probably best lives separately from the styleguide
... the goal of simple language is multi-faceted. We are trying to find better understanding and ease of translation.
... we are also trying to have it layered or an outline structure that graduates to complex when needed.
... in the example we have "some people cannot hear", starts simple, but becomes more complex as it gets more technical.
... We need a criteria, "does the text conform to the styleguide?" "is the text easily understood?"

Jennifer: Are you a creating a guide so that Silver is written in plain language, or a guide for people to use later to create content with plain language?

Jeanne: JohnR is a leading researcher in simple language. He is developing a tool that he has offered to let us you. The tool translates into simple language. I don't know his plans for the tool. We are evaluating whether we think the tool would work for us.
... I think the next step should be to select 3 success criteria from WCAG and email him and ask him to run the tool on them.

Charles: Let's get a range of them. 2.4.10 Section headings is pretty simple already.
... 4.1.2 is one of the most complex
... 1.3.3 for a midrange

Luis: 2.2.2 is a good example - it's long

Shawn: We can give John these, as they are a good example of a range and ask him to what would be a good test.

<scribe> ACTION: jeanne to email JohnR to ask him to try converting the WCAG SCs we selected for a test of simple language

<trackbot> Created ACTION-173 - Email johnr to ask him to try converting the wcag scs we selected for a test of simple language [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-05-01].

<Kelsey> Guideline 3.1 Readable: Make text content readable and understandable.

TPAC planning

<Lauriat> https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/Overview.html

Shawn: We are considering meeting at TPAC in Lyon, France.
... 22-26 OCTOBER 2018

Kelsey: Are we also meeting in Texas?

<Charles> Access U: https://knowbility.org/programs/accessu/2018/

Jeanne: Yes, some of us are meeting at AccessU on 15 May in Austin, Tx to run a prototyping dropi-in center for the AccessU speakers and attendees. We want to take advantage of the expertise there.

Shawn: We should send out a form.

Jeanne: I'll send out a wbs survey.

<Charles> I am fine with the Conformance Survey report being Final.

Finishing up research document

Jeanne: I would like to finish up the Research reports that are in draft form so I can move them to the CG.

GAAD Planning

Jeanne: We had talked about making a slide deck for GAAD (May 17) that we could use for presentations and make it available for others to use.

<Charles> I am adding a couple slides about the status of Silver to my own GAAD presentation. It will be in Google Slides and I can share when complete if interested.

Kelsey: WWe could include examples of how PwD struggle to help build empathy

JohnK: I'm doing a presentation and I would like to incorporate Silver slides into it.

Jeanne: We have some standard slides that we use in most of the Silver presentations: Goals, Timeline, etc. We need to make new slides on Design Sprint results

JohnK: I would like to incorporate info on Silver and end with asking for more participation.

<Charles> Speaking of signing up, RE: Action 171 from last week. Folder is created and status document within it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VtNVXe8PaM6NA8pZLyUDPv4Hh99IG59K

jeanne: Next steps on GAAD: creating slides of results.
... let's discuss on Friday

Shawn: Friday agenda will be: Project plan, Requirements doc, and GAAD presentation.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to email JohnR to ask him to try converting the WCAG SCs we selected for a test of simple language

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/04/24 14:59:23 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nJZvZgF_syTV9BgBwxMGobpJ6dDKEo2r?usp=sharing//
Present: LuisG Roy jeanne Jan kirkwood jaeunjemmaku Kelsey Charles Shawn Imelda Jennifer
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Found Date: 24 Apr 2018
People with action items: jeanne

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]