Silver Task Force Teleconference

03 Apr 2018


chaals, Charles, Jeanne, JohnM, Imelda, Kelsey, Luis, kirkwood, MichaelC, Jan, JaeunJemmaKu, shawn, Shari
Shawn, jeanne
Lauriat, jeanne


<Lauriat> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Silver Task Force Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 03 April 2018

<kirkwood> Actually I have a preference for Fridays but can do Tuesday if needed

Report from Design Sprint & prototyping

<Lauriat> Scribe: Lauriat

Jeanne: First thing, we need to finish the Design Sprint report and then present to the Working Group.
... We want to throw open the invitation to prototype different parts of Silver, making that part of the report. Directions on how to share their prototypes with us so we can do usability testing.
... So the report would turn more into an invitation for people to participate and contribute.
... We also need to talk about plain language vs. simple language.
... Some proposed that we use the ISO standard for plain language. Another table said we should use simple language.
... We'll have that conversation on Friday.

<Charles> I am going to share by email a list of relevant URLs on Plain Language

<Charles> I have a list of people to invite to IA effort. I just need to know where to send them.

Jeanne: We have five major efforts that need to run concurrently this summer: plain language translation of WCAG 2.1, homepage design, write standards for naming and tagging, work on the information architecture (and develop github APIs to allow people to more easily contribute), work on the prototypes and usability testing.

Charles: To raise a minor caution on this: if you have dedicated resources to translate the current guidelines into plain language before we define what that is, we may have some rework later on. So we should define first to avoid that.

Jeanne: I agree. We need to do that before the other pieces start up.
... In the prototype design, the subtask in here is to organize the usability testing and come up with how we'll do this.
... Determine when a prototype is ready to test, prioritize which prototype to do first, which to do concurrently, enroll developers & designers, etc.

<jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to move the strategy notes into a project plan in Sheets.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-165 - Move the strategy notes into a project plan in sheets. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-04-10].

<kirkwood> Sorry I need to sign off, I’ll be on on for full call on Friday.

Jeanne: Please think about the projects coming this summer and what kinds of things you might want to work on!
... We definitely need to start delegating into subgroups of people working on different projects and keep the main group for coordinating and tracking.
... We do have people on board to handle the translation of WCAG 2.1, but it'll still take some serious time. This will also provide some data for those prototyping to use.

Review strategy from Friday

[Everything above after the actual report stuff]

[back to Design Sprint report]

<Charles> Table 4: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zTij1pH9NumEmMJoTFlsnpkUHpM6SmP852jmkNDjAd0/edit?usp=sharing

<jeanne> Table 1: Kelsey transcription was in process. It will be done by Thursday. I need help with the summary.

<jeanne> Jemma: Wendy offered to help.

<jeanne> Table 4: Summary is complete. See URL above.

<jeanne> scribe: jeanne

Charles: Our group attacked 3 problems, so the summary documents that.
... I noted that all the ideas that were raised were complementary, none of the ideas were in conflict with the solutions we worked on.

Jan: We need to have someone who was at the table write the summary.
... I would like to look at who was at Table 3 and reach out to them.

Jemma: Wendy Chisholm also volunteered to help us.
... I will forward Wendy's email address to Jan so Jan will contact her.

<scribe> ACTION: Jan will reach out to Wendy and Lucy to get them to help with summaries.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-166 - Will reach out to wendy and lucy to get them to help with summaries. [on Jan McSorley - due 2018-04-10].

Jemma: Table 1 was Adam Spence, John Rochford, Jemma, Wendy Chisholm.

<Charles> Table 3 also included: Lucy Grecco, Alice Boxhall, Leonie Watson, Rob Dodson

Table 2: Jeanne will have table 2 done by Friday.

Table 3: Imelda finished transcription and Jan will reach out to Lucy for the executive summary

Table 4: Is done

Charles: Unless someone needs to have all the notes at the bottom of the document organized, I consider it done.

Jeanne: I don't think we need the raw data organized. I think the final report will draw from the summaries\

Table 5: The transcription is done. The summary needs writing

Shawn: I will work on the summary on Thursday. The difficulty will be explaining the prototype which is diagrams. I can insert the diagrams and caption them.

Pacific work

Jeanne: We will have the tables done by friday the 6, so we can work on assembling the final report on oiur meeting of 10 April.

Shawn: We have several folks who would like to participate who cannot call in at this time. They are mostly in Australia and Asia.
... One starting point of that discussion would be to have subgroup working on one of our concurrent tasks.
... they could report in by email. The trick is going to be supporting them so that they are successful and move forward.

Jeanne: I assume that a WebEx call can be set up for them.

Shawn: I expect that they can use whatever tools work for them.
... for meetings and for the actual work and reporting. I don't want to be prescriptive of how they do things.
... I recommend looking at the project plan, identify isolated chunks of work and ask them if they want to do it.

Report from Design Sprint & prototyping

Moving the meeting time (initial discussion)

<Charles> I have zero preference on time and day. You won’t need my vote.

Several people want to move the Friday call to 2:00

<scribe> ACTION: Jeanne to ask Michael to set up new WebEx call and info page starting on April 13

<trackbot> Created ACTION-167 - Ask michael to set up new webex call and info page starting on april 13 [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2018-04-10].

zakin, take up next

Requirements document

AccessU meeting?

Jeanne: Sharron Rush offered a room to meet at AccessU May 14-16. Let's discuss on Friday


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jan will reach out to Wendy and Lucy to get them to help with summaries.
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to ask Michael to set up new WebEx call and info page starting on April 13
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to move the strategy notes into a project plan in Sheets.

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/04/03 14:58:32 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/xzzakim, take up next//
Present: chaals Charles Jeanne JohnM Imelda Kelsey Luis kirkwood MichaelC Jan JaeunJemmaKu shawn Shari
Found Scribe: Lauriat
Inferring ScribeNick: Lauriat
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Scribes: Lauriat, jeanne
ScribeNicks: Lauriat, jeanne
Found Date: 03 Apr 2018
People with action items: jan jeanne out reach will

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]